DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Wanting wider stance on Tacoma

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Wanting wider stance on Tacoma

Hi guys,

I will come out right now by saying that my truck is my daily driver and my truck will NOT see off-road but maybe 1% of the time. That 1% will mostly be gravel roads during camping and what-not.

OK, that being said this is what I would like to accomplish with my truck.

I want a wider stance with larger tires without going to a 6 inch lift.
What I have been considering for a long time is the glassworks fenders and a 3 inch lift. I would like to fit 20" wheel/35" tire combination without an asston of rubbing or cutting (I already know the 1 body mount needs trimmed, this is OK).

I've spoken to several places and they pretty much agree that to fit those tires I would need a larger fender and to fill the fender I would want to go with a wider front suspension to make it look and work right.

Basically here I am looking for advice and what I will run into if I go with a LT kit for a daily driver.

I've read the stickies and product information on several kits. What I don't know is what works together, what doesn't, etc.

Point me to some good reading, personal accounts, experience and stories whatever I want to learn everything before dropping the money on something I might not end up liking.

I am pretty particular about my things so I don't want to end up with a leaning, rattle trap that drives like shit. I want to do a good job the first time.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
I forgot to add I am running a TRD SC and exhaust already. I know regearing will be needed, but I feel I can do that after I get the bulk of the project done.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
DO NOT GO LT if your truck is going to be on Pavement 99% of the time, that would be a ridicolous waste of money. Im no expert but I would get the All Pro 2 in' fenders, get some offset wheels with wheel spacers if your just going for look. It'll look nice and beefy IMO. Maybe consider Mid-Travel incase you do want to do some nice off roading later, Check out RCFreaks truck, it is Midtravel and looks like full blown LT beast. Maybe look at his build to see what he did to get that look.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
if you want to spend $5,000 to make your front end look cool... that's your call

Old 12-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
if you want to spend $5,000 to make your front end look cool... that's your call
Add 20" rims and 35" tires and he'll be well over $5k.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Would you guys just recommend a spacer lift for his purpose? I dont know if he would find one that would fit 35s but it would save a lot of money if he isn't going to off road yeah?

Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Well the thing is that I really like the look of the glassworks fenders. The fact they have a good reputation of fitment and they follow the factory body lines really appeal to me.

If I can properly fill the fenders without an LT set-up I am completely fine with that. The reason I was leaning towards an LT set-up was that it seemed to be the only way to properly fill the fenders.

This is why I wanted to ask people that have been down this road already. I've lifted trucks before, but an '85 straight axle is a different beast altogether (I sold it, had it forever but needed a newer rig /tears).

It's possible that IF I were to go down the LT road that I might go with the guys at work to the Oregon dunes, but like I said honestly that would be a 1 or 2 times a year thing.

Thanks for the information so far, I would appreciate more though.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #8

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
This truck is mid-travel. looks like it fill the fenders very well. These arn't glassworks I think but they look similiar to me so you should be able to get the look you want with the fraction of the price of LT

Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdain View Post
Well the thing is that I really like the look of the glassworks fenders. The fact they have a good reputation of fitment and they follow the factory body lines really appeal to me.

If I can properly fill the fenders without an LT set-up I am completely fine with that. The reason I was leaning towards an LT set-up was that it seemed to be the only way to properly fill the fenders.

This is why I wanted to ask people that have been down this road already. I've lifted trucks before, but an '85 straight axle is a different beast altogether (I sold it, had it forever but needed a newer rig /tears).

It's possible that IF I were to go down the LT road that I might go with the guys at work to the Oregon dunes, but like I said honestly that would be a 1 or 2 times a year thing.

Thanks for the information so far, I would appreciate more though.
What part of Oregon are you from? And are you 4x4 or Prerunner?

Old 12-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
This truck is mid-travel. looks like it fill the fenders very well. These arn't glassworks I think but they look similiar to me so you should be able to get the look you want with the fraction of the price of LT
This looks ok, but I don't like the curved bed rails. I want to keep the bed factory as possible, this is my daily driver and it gets used on week-ends to haul stuff sometimes. Mostly honey-do crap. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post
What part of Oregon are you from? And are you 4x4 or Prerunner?
4x4, TRD sport.

I live in Beaverton. I see you are from Beaverton too, I am near TV highway and 170th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat241 View Post
just get some rims with offset ,spindles if your 2wd and gw fenders and call it a day. if youd like more of a wider stance get some spidertrax too
I don't want to do too high offset wheels and spacers. It puts pretty extreme stress on the bearings.

I don't mind spending money on something that is good quality and will WORK.

You guys don't know me here so I will say 1 fact about me that proves true.

I can somehow purchased defective dirt....that's the luck I have with things. Really, I could buy dirt and it would end up broken some how. :|

Appreciate all the feedback.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
I eat terrorism and crap freedom!
apierce7565 is on a distinguished road

Army: 12B Combat Engineer 2/11 ACR 58th CEC
Name: Anthony
apierce7565's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
where did you get your fenders from?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
^thats my truck, and those are fiberwerX 6" front fenders and 6" rear TT style bedsides

Old 12-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
also OP if you dont like the TT Style(the curvey ones) you can get standard ones which are flat

Old 12-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
You sure you read this thread? http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...ere-first.html

Because you're about to shell out $7,000 and get a hell of a lot of disappointment in return. It will not ride like stock. It will be maintenance intensive. It will creak, it will squeak, it will make noises you didn't think were possible. You will never use it for what it was designed for. And did I mention you will have paid seven grand for all this?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #16
brett1586 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brett
brett1586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
You sure you read this thread? http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...ere-first.html

Because you're about to shell out $7,000 and get a hell of a lot of disappointment in return. It will not ride like stock. It will be maintenance intensive. It will creak, it will squeak, it will make noises you didn't think were possible. You will never use it for what it was designed for. And did I mention you will have paid seven grand for all this?
X2

Old 12-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Old 12-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
No time is ever wasted offroading
SparkinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Ashley
SparkinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Why do you have a truck made for offroad, and dont touch the dirt with it? whats the point? just wondering

Old 12-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkinTaco View Post
Why do you have a truck made for offroad, and dont touch the dirt with it? whats the point? just wondering
exactly.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #20
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdain View Post

I live in Beaverton. I see you are from Beaverton too, I am near TV highway and 170th.
Right on man. I'm off of Allen and Hall. If you want to fit the 20"/35's then have you looked into spacer lift + body lift? I know a lot of people are not a fan of those 2(including myself) but since you state you only see about 1% offroad and thats due to camping I don't see what problem it will cause

Quote:

x2

Closed Thread