DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

92 Pickup LT Plans. Advice?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Heather
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
92 Pickup LT Plans. Advice?

I bought a 92 sr5 4x4 pickup specifically to build into a long travel off road rig. (Currently I have lift shackles in the rear and the torsion bars cranked in the front so that I can fit 33s.) I've done a ton of research, but before I order up parts, I was hoping for some feedback. Here is what I am planning:

Front:
Blazeland long travel kit
Bilstein 5100s
OME*torsion bars
TC idler arm
T100 cv axels
Hannemann fenders

Rear:
Bilsteins
Block? Add a leaf?*
wheel spacers to even width with front?

My questions are:
1. Anything incorrect about the front?*
2. What's the best route to go with the rear? As you can see I'm undecided on that part...*

Thanks for any input or advice!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
You will want to do a spring under set up in the rear. I currently have an add a leaf and it does not help at all lol, you wont be able to really use your front LT if the back is not LT too. What are you looking at for a total budget?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Give this a read if you haven't already.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...formation.html
Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
You will want to do a spring under set up in the rear. I currently have an add a leaf and it does not help at all lol, you wont be able to really use your front LT if the back is not LT too. What are you looking at for a total budget?
Ok. That's pretty much what I am wondering. I was hoping that the leaf springs would be sufficient, but I didn't know...

As far as budget goes... With the set up I have listed, I'll be spending a little under 2k. I'd be willing to spend about he same on the rear. I bought the truck so that I would have something fun to spend my money on... So I'll throw money at it until it is done. It just might take a while.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Give this a read if you haven't already.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...formation.html
Yep, I've read the stickies quite a few times. I wanted to LT my 2008 Tacoma but read up on it and decided to get an older pickup for it. The problem is, the 92 doesn't seem to have as many LT options as the newer Tacmas...
Old 12-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
elblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant future

Name: Blake
elblako91's Tacoma Gallery
You can follow my build thread for some ideas. If you have any questions don't hesitate to messege me!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...vel-build.html

-Blake
Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
Yep, I've read the stickies quite a few times. I wanted to LT my 2008 Tacoma but read up on it and decided to get an older pickup for it. The problem is, the 92 doesn't seem to have as many LT options as the newer Tacmas...
don't waste your money on the blazeland kit

go with TC or JD fab torsion bar kit if you are set on keeping torsion bars
Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elblako91 View Post
You can follow my build thread for some ideas. If you have any questions don't hesitate to messege me!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...vel-build.html

-Blake
I read through your build thread a couple weeks ago. You truck is bad ass!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
don't waste your money on the blazeland kit

go with TC or JD fab torsion bar kit if you are set on keeping torsion bars
I looked into the TC kits. I'll check out JD fab now. Hadn't come across them yet. I have heard some mixed things about the Blazeland kit, but I haven't heard any specifics on them not performing well.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
elblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant future

Name: Blake
elblako91's Tacoma Gallery
blazeland<total chaos<JD fab

Just depends on your budget
Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elblako91 View Post
blazeland<total chaos<JD fab

Just depends on your budget
Good to know! I was looking at the Total Chaos stuff, because I have heard nothing but good things. I just didn't know if the extra cost was actually worth it. I guess, as with anything else, you get what you pay for...
Old 12-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
TC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TC yota's Tacoma Gallery
The real question is what do you plan on doing with the truck? You live in E Washington, what kind of trails will you be on?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC yota View Post
The real question is what do you plan on doing with the truck? You live in E Washington, what kind of trails will you be on?
I live in southeastern Washington, which is desert. So, I will be using the truck in the sand.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
you should invest in rear LT first. No blocks. If you want to save money, wait to buy used off the forums.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, after getting some awesome advice from guys on here, my plans have changed a bit. I'll probably go with a total chaos front, king shocks, and the giant motorsports rear with a bed cage. What are the advantages to doing the rear first rather than the front?
Old 12-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, after getting some awesome advice from guys on here, my plans have changed a bit. I'll probably go with a total chaos front, king shocks, and the giant motorsports rear with a bed cage. What are the advantages to doing the rear first rather than the front?
The rear wont keep up with the front and you'll just bounce off the trail, theres desert in Washington??
Old 12-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #17
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
The rear wont keep up with the front and you'll just bounce off the trail, theres desert in Washington??
Haha...yeah, Washington has desert. It's all sagebrush and sand here!

I had been planning on doing the front first, because I dont know how long I should leave my torsion bars cranked...

I hope to get both the front and back done around the same time though.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haha...yeah, Washington has desert. It's all sagebrush and sand here!

I had been planning on doing the front first, because I dont know how long I should leave my torsion bars cranked...

I hope to get both the front and back done around the same time though.
Hmph, that is pretty cool, you have desert eco system and probably with out the heat Cali deserts have . I was considering LT for about an entire hour one night before deciding it is going to be too much cost and headache from me and that was one of the points I ran across alot, to go LT in the rear first if you are serious about it, hopefully you get both done together as you plan, goodluck with the build.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #20
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
If I keep the torsion bars, rather than switching to coil overs, will I regret it? How much of a difference do they make?