DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

$60 Ebay Shock hoop

Old 12-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
$60 Ebay Shock hoop

In an effort to not spend 250 on a hoop i think i'm going to go with one of these for the rear outer frame rail/ inn fender well and gusset it where necessary so i don't have to cut up the bed to use my 12" billy's. Has anybody tried any of these? If so how'd it fit? I'm trying to utilize all my bed space to carry 2 dirt bikes and gear.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2601777...Types&var=sbar

or maybe trail gears would be better...they look the same though

http://www.trail-gear.com/shock-hoops

i like that this one comes with hardware...

http://www.datinfab.com/shockhoops-1.aspx
Old 12-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
jtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeremy
jtlachac08's Tacoma Gallery
There's nothing wrong with running shock hoops, provided they are stong enough and gusseted well.

I'm interested to see how these would turng out. Pretty inexpensive, give it a shot

Post your progress
Old 12-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlachac08 View Post
There's nothing wrong with running shock hoops, provided they are stong enough and gusseted well.

I'm interested to see how these would turng out. Pretty inexpensive, give it a shot

Post your progress
Yeah i was just hoping someone here had tried one and could attest for fitment issues on a first gen. I have a god damn pile o shit 3" body lift on mine so i'll have less fitment issues than others.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
jtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeremy
jtlachac08's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on your set up and what your looking to achive....

Good luck and have fun
Old 12-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Have you taken a good look at your rear wheel wells?
I'm not saying it's not possible, but there's not a lot room in there.

I have shiney spots on the inside of my fender wells where my tires rub at full flex (or full compresssion before I put wheel spacers).

Lack of room:

I think you'd be better off doing something similar to what JLee did to his. He added a new crossmember and triangulated his shocks. I still don't think you'll get anywhere near using the 12" shock (mostly due to lack of uptravel). Jerry's got 10's with an allpro +4.5" rear lift and I'm not sure he's using all of his shock.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
MadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
MadTaco461's Tacoma Gallery
you can do a full on bedcage and make it bolt on. Unbolt it and slam the stock shocks in and throw the dirtbikes in the back. My buddy did this to his 2nd gen and works great. It's a weekend project.

edit: put a rubber mat over the bed to cover up the shock holes.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Have you taken a good look at your rear wheel wells?
I'm not saying it's not possible, but there's not a lot room in there.

I have shiney spots on the inside of my fender wells where my tires rub at full flex (or full compresssion before I put wheel spacers).

Lack of room:

I think you'd be better off doing something similar to what JLee did to his. He added a new crossmember and triangulated his shocks. I still don't think you'll get anywhere near using the 12" shock (mostly due to lack of uptravel). Jerry's got 10's with an allpro +4.5" rear lift and I'm not sure he's using all of his shock.
Yeah i have very few scrub marks. I'm staying with a 31" tire so with a wheel spacer i should be good.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
xtyharvey is on a distinguished road

xtyharvey's Tacoma Gallery
I made my own and they've held up through many many offroad miles.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtyharvey View Post
I made my own and they've held up through many many offroad miles.

nice, that looks really good. Did you do a bolt in crossbrace? Are those 12" shocks? It looks like you added a sleeve to the axle to get the shock bracket in the proper location down there.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
ColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud of

Name: Cole
ColesDirtyYota's Tacoma Gallery
ur wheels have a low backspacing? if so u might not need a spacer and that would be ideal, but if not def run a spacer or ull prob rub and end up fucking your tires up and ect. but shock hoops are alot stronger then a bucket and ect, so as long as it's put in correctly your good to go
Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87xjmike View Post
In an effort to not spend 250 on a hoop i think i'm going to go with one of these for the rear outer frame rail/ inn fender well and gusset it where necessary so i don't have to cut up the bed to use my 12" billy's. Has anybody tried any of these? If so how'd it fit? I'm trying to utilize all my bed space to carry 2 dirt bikes and gear.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2601777...Types&var=sbar

or maybe trail gears would be better...they look the same though

http://www.trail-gear.com/shock-hoops

i like that this one comes with hardware...

http://www.datinfab.com/shockhoops-1.aspx

I would get the datin fab ones; the biggest reason that they are made in the USA. Trail gear outsources almost all their fabrication.

Fuck TG

Support a company that manufactures in the USA!

Ready for: