DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Rear shock upside down?

Old 12-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Rear shock upside down?

I bought some FOX remote 2.0 rears today. They mount upside down with the shock body hanging down by the axle. What's the purpose of that?

It seems to me like that would only expose the shock body to more damage. It may reduce damage to the shock shaft, but that's much easier and cheaper to replace than an entire shock body is it not?

I didn't end up installing the shocks though, because I was given stock travels instead of extended. I called the seller to let him know that he gave me the wrong shocks. He said that I could bring them back tomorrow but I would be charged a re-stocking fee and that I couldn't get the proper travel shocks with the bodies on top because FOX only makes them upside down now.

Am I getting jerked around? Does anybody know what the deal is with the upside down shocks? I called DSM and All-Pro, both of which said that they only sell the shocks with the bodies up.

Follow-up: It took some aggravation, a little convincing and about $50 in gas but I should have my refund by Tuesday. I almost got weaseled out of another $20 on my refund until I put my foot down and called him out on it. For whatever reason, the refund is pending via paypal. Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the right shocks through Marco at DSM. He said he would convert the remotes to piggyback at no charge and throw in some extra goodies for me. I'm expecting them to arrive either tomorrow or Friday.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely getting jerked around. You have part numbers on those shocks?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Last numbers are 372-B. They're not even the ones he has listed for sale.

Part numbers were confirmed by multiple sources. Eventually the seller agreed that they were the wrong ones but at first told me that, "they'll get longer after you install them on the truck."

Chalkin' it up to another lesson learned that you get what you pay for. All this grief just to save 8.75% sales tax, I better not be charged a restocking fee.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
DSM is the way to go when ordering shocks. They treat their customers right and know their stuff.

"they'll get longer after you install them on the truck" is comedy gold.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Whoever you bought them from is a derp
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
DSM is the way to go when ordering shocks. They treat their customers right and know their stuff.

"they'll get longer after you install them on the truck" is comedy gold.
You shoulda heard what this guy had to say when I told him I wanted to wait for the 8-way adjustable 2.0's. He said that, "they're the same as the regular 2.0, they're just adjustable for compound."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Whoever you bought them from is a derp
The kicker is that he's a trusted vendor on TW. I will keep his identity confidential pending his "restocking fee."
Old 12-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Technically you can run them upside down. But the whole, they will get longer on the truck. Is ridiculous
Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFF BILL View Post

The kicker is that he's a trusted vendor on TW. I will keep his identity confidential pending his "restocking fee."
We wanna know, we wanna know!!!! Especially if he is a vendor.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
We wanna know, we wanna know!!!! Especially if he is a vendor.
We need to know if he is a vendor giving bad advice and the runaround.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
We need to know if he is a vendor giving bad advice and the runaround.
Ok well, turns out he's not actually a "vendor" here. I was under the impression that he was because all he does on TW is sell parts.

Either way, let me see how things go later on this afternoon when I drop off the shiny new useless FOX resi's that I have been staring at since yesterday.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:39 AM   #12
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm, my 1st gen has one mounted upside down and one the other way. They are the Tokikos that were on it when I bought it. Weird.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
shock body up, shock body down, not really sure it matters w/standard gas/hydraulic shocks . More speciallty type resi shocks may be different tho'...
Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
More speciallty type resi shocks may be different tho'...
Orientation doesn't matter on resi shocks. Lots of pro guys run them upside down and sideways with cantilever setups.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Orientation doesn't matter on resi shocks. Lots of pro guys run them upside down and sideways with cantilever setups.

& there you have your answer....
Old 01-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Just because they do it, doesn't mean its right. ^

In your case, you don't want to run the shock upside down off the axle because its easier for a rock to dent the shock body and cause more damage to internal parts, rather than a nick out of the shock shafts.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=battlescars;4399391]Just because they do it, doesn't mean its right. ^

In your case, you don't want to run the shock upside down off the axle because its easier for a rock to dent the shock body and cause more damage to internal parts, rather than a nick out of the shock shafts.[/QUOTE]

Hmm i'm finding your statement a little contradictory, ??

So are you saying this isn't correct application for my truck ??

Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #18
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
I see your shocks set up right 4WD because the shafts are off the axle.

I was under the impression that he was told to run the shocks upside down - being that the shock bodies mount off the axle
Old 01-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #19
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Ya know the irony of it is in stock form with the old yellow billies, the rear shocks were shock body down /boots up & on all upgraded Bilsteins, they recommend just the opposite, still side specific tho'..
Old 01-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #20
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
Just because they do it, doesn't mean its right. ^
You're right, I'm sure they have no clue what they are doing. N00bs! lol