DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Durability of performance mods with LT

Old 01-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
ocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud of
Army: Infantry
ocherp's Tacoma Gallery
Durability of performance mods with LT

Just wondering what you guys have done, engine wise and if you've had any issues. I'm currently running the URD S/C kit and JBA headers with no issues, looking at getting the IPT Valve Body Upgrade very soon and considering some other performance mods but wanted to make sure it's durable enough.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocherp View Post
Just wondering what you guys have done, engine wise and if you've had any issues. I'm currently running the URD S/C kit and JBA headers with no issues, looking at getting the IPT Valve Body Upgrade very soon and considering some other performance mods but wanted to make sure it's durable enough.

a large trans cooler has helped greatly with the longevity of my transmission. never went with the ipt valve body upgrade because i never really saw a need.
i am a firm beliver with keeping things stock engine wise unless a good deal of money can be thrown at it to do it right. need more acceleration, gear it.
ive found the 4.0 could use some better headgaskets since i took one out with a stock engine at around 70k. beside superchargers theres not a whole lot performance wise that can be done without opening up the motor.

the big question is , durable enough for what?

id start with durability upgrades like trans cooler, ps cooler, stronger rear axle, spares, quality intake system , wideband o2 and maybe a fuel system with a replaceable filter. better brakes also comes to mind , i know my caged truck needs it.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
ocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud ofocherp has much to be proud of
ocherp's Tacoma Gallery
Currently have the 85mm pulley, looking at the 70mm and VB upgrade and tuning it with Split Second program.

Durability wise, just talking in terms of all the added stress and what not, with the bigger tires, cage, etc. I know the stock Toyota engines will definitely last, just seeing what has been done out there for increased HP and torque.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
I run the 2RZ (2.4L) and my suspension cant keep up with my motor. After you start adding weight to the truck and or bigger tires in most cases you end up running lower gears like myself with 4.88's with 33x10.5 tires.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
ocherp's Tacoma Gallery
Just looking to increase my hp and torque, with my cage, Walker Evans and 35" BFGs I still have more power than a stock Tacoma but just want more now
Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocherp View Post
Just looking to increase my hp and torque, with my cage, Walker Evans and 35" BFGs I still have more power than a stock Tacoma but just want more now
These are reliable....665 hp-http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com/p...d8-665-HP.html
Old 01-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
ocherp's Tacoma Gallery
That would put me a tad over budget