DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

paddles for the dunes on your truck

Old 01-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
paddles for the dunes on your truck

has anyone used paddles on their truck at the dunes? i know dtftacoma has some.

what truck do you have/engine?

what size paddle do you run?

are you geared/locked?

2wd or 4wd?

and would you rather run paddles or no? do you bog down at higher speeds?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
wtf eric.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone used paddles on their truck at the dunes? i know dtftacoma has some. I know you mentioned me just want to put the info out there

what truck do you have/engine?

what size paddle do you run?
33"

are you geared/locked?
stock gears yes locked

2wd or 4wd?
2wd

and would you rather run paddles or no? do you bog down at higher speeds?
I usually keep it in 2nd or 3rd so it doesn't bog too bad
Old 01-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
You've got 4x4 Eric.
You don't need paddles. Drop to 12 psi and drive.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
pismo meet?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
hah what? drive your truck in the dunes and then get back to me
Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
hah what? drive your truck in the dunes and then get back to me
.......jason, Anthony and i are all seasoned vets out in the dunes

edit: and all of our sig pictures are in sand.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacokid09 View Post

Mmmm I love seasoning
Old 01-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Banned
thanks anthony! what cup paddles do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
You've got 4x4 Eric.
You don't need paddles. Drop to 12 psi and drive.
i know, but have you driven your truck in glamis? paddles would help BIG TIME. i have only been stuck once when it was all stock but it would be so much easier to get around in the big dunes
Quote:
pismo meet?
glamis meet?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Banned
Quote:

i meant nick haha, not you guys and pismo and glamis are alot different, pismo is way more flat.

fwiw i have been going to the dunes since i was born pretty much so im seasoned too
Old 01-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i know, but have you driven your truck in glamis? paddles would help BIG TIME. i have only been stuck once when it was all stock but it would be so much easier to get around in the big dunes
Cause the sand is so much different in Glamis?

With you only having the 4 banger you'd be hating life out there. Sand is a power thief.

I stand by my previous statement. Drop to 12 psi and drive.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Quote:
i meant nick haha, not you guys and pismo and glamis are alot different, pismo is way more flat.

fwiw i have been going to the dunes since i was born pretty much so im seasoned too
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... no its not haha.

sand is sand....

it takes skill to drive with no paddles. even cooler on a non-locked rear
Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
Dezert Toy Fabrication

I prob wouldn't run paddles with a 4 banger
Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
First of all I would agree paddles on a 4 banger will probably not work

Second, the sand at the edges of glamis, and at pismo are a lot more grainy. As you get into the middle of Glamis the sand is waaaay finer. Beach sand is nothing like middle of glamis dune sand that has rolled from the beaches thousands of years ago. Also while Pismo is measured in acres Glamis is measured in square miles and is the largest OHV accesible set of dunes in North America. So no, sand is not sand
Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Cause the sand is so much different in Glamis?

With you only having the 4 banger you'd be hating life out there. Sand is a power thief.

I stand by my previous statement. Drop to 12 psi and drive.
yeah its finer, and the dunes are way bigger and much more of them.

and yeah thats what i have heard but i wanted more opinions. think i would still hate it even with 4.88s?

and i do go down to about 13 out there.
Quote:
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... no its not haha.

sand is sand....

it takes skill to drive with no paddles. even cooler on a non-locked rear
yeah it does take skill, and i can go everywhere in glamis with out paddles, but with paddles i think it would be much much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post
I prob wouldn't run paddles with a 4 banger
seems like thats the general concensus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post

Second, the sand at the edges of glamis, and at pismo are a lot more grainy. As you get into the middle of Glamis the sand is waaaay finer. Beach sand is nothing like middle of glamis dune sand that has rolled from the beaches thousands of years ago. Also while Pismo is measured in acres Glamis is measured in square miles and is the largest OHV accesible set of dunes in North America. So no, sand is not sand

Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
A sand run would be fun!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post

sorry expert. ill leave now.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
Banned
lol but he is right.

have you been to glamis and pismo brian?

2wd without a locker in glamis you will get stuck at oldsmobile on flat ground lol
Old 01-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
That is why Eric asked if you have been to Glamis. If you havent been to both I am not sure why you would comment that Pismo and Glamis are the same
Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
sand is sand.