DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

What to look for when buy used LT kit?

Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Post What to look for when buying a used LT kit?

So I am stuck on going LT again after finally making a desicion on the MT setup I wanted. I am considering buying used when I am ready to, I haven't looked too hard for used kits for the 2nd Gen but they seem rare. If I do find one, what are the things that I need to look out for to make sure Im buying a decent kit. I am assuming that the Uppers and Lowers are pretty strong in most kits and I dont need worry about them being bent. What are some big wear or troubled spots on kits that I should pay attention to. I'll probably replace all the bushings and limit straps and what not, really just looking to score uppers and lowers, the steering extender things, the longer axle to retain 4x4. My preference in kit so far starts with TC>AP>AP 2">TC 2". Thanks guys!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Not really much of an issue if the suspension was built right. Mainly check the welded areas for cracks and even the LCA's for bends where there shouldn't be.

I must warn you though, if you LT the front, you pretty much have to LT the rear.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
There are also good threads on LT . Something to think about is are you planning just running a LT kit or building a LT truck . Difference .
Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
Not really much of an issue if the suspension was built right. Mainly check the welded areas for cracks and even the LCA's for bends where there shouldn't be.

I must warn you though, if you LT the front, you pretty much have to LT the rear.
Yeah I know that you if you LT the front, there is no way you can use it to its full potential if the rear cant keep up, If I do LT the front I will do the rear for sure but it'll be down the road further, cant afford to do it all at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
There are also good threads on LT . Something to think about is are you planning just running a LT kit or building a LT truck . Difference .
Ive done all my research on LT already, was just looking for what I should look for in a used kit. I plan on building a LT truck for now, it will just be in stages, front first. Heck I might even drop back to MT if I can see a few of the trucks in action, I saw your post in the MTBS thread that you were pretty impressed with how the MT trucks did at superstition.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Koo . Yeah this forum has some great info .
Old 01-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
. Heck I might even drop back to MT if I can see a few of the trucks in action, I saw your post in the MTBS thread that you were pretty impressed with how the MT trucks did at superstition.
here you go :http://youtu.be/Y1HlUyCvBJg ! stock arms up front , defined bolt-in SUA kit in the rear and some quality shocks = one badass stock width truck.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #7

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE= stock arms up front , defined bolt-in SUA kit in the rear and some quality shocks = one badass stock width truck.[/QUOTE]

Stock arms up front?! Is there an article or something somewhere on this truck?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
here ya go bud! http://www.tacomahq.com/1017/sema-ta...-beach-racers/
Old 01-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #9

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbmx View Post
Awesome, thanks Marco!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defined View Post
here you go :http://youtu.be/Y1HlUyCvBJg ! stock arms up front , defined bolt-in SUA kit in the rear and some quality shocks = one badass stock width truck.
love this truck!

Old 01-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
do mid travel front with lt rear.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
Cheeba Chief
Nicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Nicks4x4LT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
love this truck!

i want those damn tires!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Marnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Marnes2986's Tacoma Gallery
i bought my kit used from a buddy so that sorta helps buying from a trusted friend.

I would look for any cracks along welds, make sure the bushings in the LCA and UCA arent warped or messed up if it wasnt properly lubed. Check for any play in both the uniballs. Check the portion of the UCA that holds the unbiball and see if there arent any major dents due to someone not properly limit strapping the suspension. Make sure the L & R UCA and LCA are symmetrical. Cant really think of anything else
Old 01-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #14

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnes2986 View Post
i bought my kit used from a buddy so that sorta helps buying from a trusted friend.

I would look for any cracks along welds, make sure the bushings in the LCA and UCA arent warped or messed up if it wasnt properly lubed. Check for any play in both the uniballs. Check the portion of the UCA that holds the unbiball and see if there arent any major dents due to someone not properly limit strapping the suspension. Make sure the L & R UCA and LCA are symmetrical. Cant really think of anything else

Thats about what I was thinking. I have never seen a LT kit up close that is not on a truck, Ill try and see if I can get my hands on a new one just to see how it should feel. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
if you are getting a camburg kit make sure the uniballs on the lower arms arent shot.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #16

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
if you are getting a camburg kit make sure the uniballs on the lower arms arent shot.
Wont be going the Camburg route, they dont all you to retain 4x4 right?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
why not camburg? and yeah you can keep 4x4 with camburg
Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #18

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
why not camburg? and yeah you can keep 4x4 with camburg
Oh ok, I thought that you cannot have 4x4 with Camburg, must be Engage than. That was the only thing that was ruling them out for me. But also I think that the TC kits comes with more included than the Camburg kit.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
Banned
the TC kits and the camburg kits come with the same stuff and cost close to the same.

engage actually has 4x4 axels for the 2nd gens now too by the way.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #20

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the TC kits and the camburg kits come with the same stuff and cost close to the same.

engage actually has 4x4 axels for the 2nd gens now too by the way.
Wow ok, well looks like it has been a while since I have looked up these kits. Last I checked the Camburg kit doesnt come with limit straps and bump stops which I believe I had seen included in the TC kit, Ill have to double check everything now though. Thanks for that info. I have considered just going LT in the rear now and a solid MT in the front. I dont know much about rear yet so Ill be looking into it. Thanks for the tips guys.