DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Installing AP LT this weekend...have a question

Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future
Coast Guard: BM
Name: Matt
09blacktaco's Tacoma Gallery
No luck getting anyone to press those stubs out of the star. Going to the napa machine shop tomorrow, I'm sure they will get it. Looks like I'm having the same trouble as mark.

I did get the new brake lines installed and bled the brakes today.

I'll put some pics up when I get home.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #22
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Take it anywhere with a lathe. They can chuck it up by the piece of shaft left exposed (cut side) and gouge out the shaft material up to the c-clip from the back side. Works everytime. Just make sure they dont damge the splines on the inside of the "star" or "cross" (inner piece of the cv joint once disassembled).

I doubt they will get it pressed out.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #23
Zlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant future

Name: Rich
Zlagger's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting this thread. Keep it up, I'll be doing this exact install in a few days.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #24
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09blacktaco View Post
No luck getting anyone to press those stubs out of the star. Going to the napa machine shop tomorrow, I'm sure they will get it. Looks like I'm having the same trouble as mark.

I did get the new brake lines installed and bled the brakes today.

I'll put some pics up when I get home.

it took a 50 ton press to get the snap ring on my axles to bust.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #25
09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future09blacktaco has a brilliant future
Napa was able to press out the axle studs with 10 tons of force. It actually sheared off the snap ring, so theres no way I could have gotten it out without an HD press.

Anyway I froze the new axle shafts for 2 days before I re installed and they slipped right in without too much of a fuss. Couple of whacks with a 10lb sledge and I was done.

After that everything went together quick.

Do you guys knoiw how I should install the steering extension? I was wondering if I needed to keep the lock nut on there or ditch it... I can't tell by looking at it and the instructions dont help. I'll call AP this morning if now one knows whats up.

Is this right?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
I called AP this morning and spoke with Kurtis about the fact that I cant fit the spacers between the inner bushings of my UCA and LCA. He suspects they may have sent me FJ control arms, he going to measure a couple of sets and call me back.

If you look at the pic you can see how close my LCA bushing are to the frame mount. Almost flush with the mount. I used the two supplied black washer on the outside of the bushings to fill the huge gap on both mounting points.

On the UCA I had to use some smaller grade 8 washers, which i had to presuade into place with a bfh.

Something definitely isn't right. What a pain in the ass!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Wow....that sucks ass. Sounds like some parts are about to be overnighted to you
Old 02-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
My LCA's are mounted the exact same way. I could only get them in with the two washers on one side......I figured I had mangled my LCS mounts a bit...wait so tell me I dont have the wrong friggin arms...

And to the OP:

Where did you get new clips for the birf end of the axle?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
My LCA's are mounted the exact same way. I could only get them in with the two washers on one side......I figured I had mangled my LCS mounts a bit...wait so tell me I dont have the wrong friggin arms...

And to the OP:

Where did you get new clips for the birf end of the axle?

AP stepped up and I got new uppers and lowers on the way, so we shall see if they are different on Thursday. Kurtis at AP said that I should be able to get the washers on both sides. Ill post pics.

Hole Ring P/N: 43425-04040

Fit in the AP axle perfect, my factory one looked smaller in diameter.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #30
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post

edit: maybe AllPro should paint the FJC arms a different color..so they don't get confused with one another
Old 02-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #31
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post

edit: maybe AllPro should paint the FJC arms a different color..so they don't get confused with one another
Or just don't be so silly and take 2 seconds of their time to look at the thread.

Edit im talking about steering extenders lol derp

But still they can take a few seconds to look at the arms, aren't they stocked in a location with different part numbers and shit? I don't imagine they are just piled into a giant box
Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #33
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
this thread is great. hopefully will be installing AP LT on my DCLB soon!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #34
never summer
singlefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

singlefin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post

Devil in the details.

Glad to see you got your axles sorted. Frustrating that your weekend project pushed into mid week. Hope your stuff shows up on time and you can get a good shake down run over the weekend.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlefin View Post
Devil in the details.

Glad to see you got your axles sorted. Frustrating that your weekend project pushed into mid week. Hope your stuff shows up on time and you can get a good shake down run over the weekend.

no doubt the axles were the hardest part, but now that I've done the whole process, i realize that it really wasn't that bad. I can do it again in half the time. It was a great learning experience not to mention i also learned some new curse words.

I'm really hoping that the new arms fit properly, if they don't, I'll improvise I guess, not much choice at this point with the stock axles cut. I'm looking forward to getting it drive able again. There's not many places around here to really use the long travel, but i'm sure I'll find some power-line trails to do a little shakedown.

We are moving to Colorado at the end of the year, so i'm sure this kit will pay off for me in the long run!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #36
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

We are moving to Colorado at the end of the year, so i'm sure this kit will pay off for me in the long run!
where a bouts?? nice truck btw
Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by focotacoma View Post
where a bouts?? nice truck btw
thanks

Going to rent in Vail for a year or so while we look/build a house. We really havent decided on Colorado or Washington state yet, but having friends in Vail makes it a good transition point for us.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #38
I got the new arms today

Got the new uppers put on and they fit perfect now. Def. had either the wrong arms or just a bad set.

I'll get the rest on tomorrow. Hopefully the lowers are perfect too!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #39
The Primeministah
ItsHerTruck is a jewel in the roughItsHerTruck is a jewel in the roughItsHerTruck is a jewel in the roughItsHerTruck is a jewel in the rough
Name: Alex
ItsHerTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good..
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #40
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got the new arms today

Got the new uppers put on and they fit perfect now. Def. had either the wrong arms or just a bad set.
I'll get the rest on tomorrow. Hopefully the lowers are perfect too!
Please take some measurements on the lowers, and the ones you remove as well, I am thinking I have the wrong lowers too