DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Preventative Maintenance for Long Travel (Advice after going LT)

Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #41
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL TACOROJO View Post
Is there a write up for the solid carrier bearing for a first gen
I can't imagine it would be a whole lot different than how I did it. http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=wookie

A lot of first gen guys just swap these in, they are cheap enough you can buy two and have a spare. http://www.driveshaftparts.com/cente.../prod_493.html
Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #42
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Wow good deal on carrier bearing. I heard it was best to go oem because it will last longer? Dont have to swap so often apparently
Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #43
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Nice info
Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #44
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
finally got these put on since last time I was getting it aligned the stock ones broke off

Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #45
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Damn I need to learn how to weld
Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #48
bjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Brian
bjasper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Replace the stock rubber carrier bearing on the driveshaft with a solid bearing. It will save you many u-joints.

Inspect your rig before and after every wheelin' trip and you will find minor problems before they turn into total failure. I mean physically get out the socket set and check bolts for tightness. You will be surprised at how many loose bolts you find.
Anyone know what bearing that is?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #49
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasper View Post
Anyone know what bearing that is?
A few posts above yours VVVVV

Quote:
I can't imagine it would be a whole lot different than how I did it. http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=wookie
Old 12-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #50
Menj309 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richard
Menj309's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up. Lots of useful info
Old 01-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #51
mandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud of

mandzach's Tacoma Gallery
Question on the spindle gussets.

The OEM spindles are manufactured as cast steel, correct?

So given they are cast, how are all these guys just slapping some cold rolled against it and running some mig stitches on it? Welding to cast requires a whole different process.

Any insight?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #52
Canks is on a distinguished road
Canks's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota spindles are forged....
Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #53
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandzach View Post
Question on the spindle gussets.

The OEM spindles are manufactured as cast steel, correct?

So given they are cast, how are all these guys just slapping some cold rolled against it and running some mig stitches on it? Welding to cast requires a whole different process.

Any insight?
I use a flux core wire with a high nickel content. It produces a slightly flexible joint that won't crack under high stress shear loads, with good penetration and adhesion even welding vertical up. I used .035, but .030 would get the job done.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harris-E71T-...-/271271155959
Old 01-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #54
mandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud of

mandzach's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I use a flux core wire with a high nickel content. It produces a slightly flexible joint that won't crack under high stress shear loads, with good penetration and adhesion even welding vertical up. I used .035, but .030 would get the job done.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harris-E71T-...-/271271155959
Ah ha, thanks Logan - so the high nickel content flux core. I will get me some of that.

Next question, I've heard guys welding on the gusset in place on the truck. I've also heard others say they completely removed the spindle to prevent heat from getting to any of the seals/soft parts.

I'm thinking I could just do some short beads, let it cool, move to another area type procedure would work while it's still installed.

Thoughts or lessons learned on welding it installed ...?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #55
Fluffer

I did mine on the truck. I changed a CV boot 10 miles later. I laid a welding glove on it to keep the slag off, but it still got nailed. If you are a good welder, do them on the truck but wrap everything in a welding blanket (wet rag works too..). Shock shafts are slag magnets for some reason. If you are nervous about it, pull them off and do them on a welding table. It doesn't take that long to pull them, then you don't have to weld vert-
Old 01-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #56
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Ive seen and used WD-40 near areas of welding, helps with slag/splatter removal.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #57
BazzokaJoe is on a distinguished road
Royal Canadian Air Force: 425 ETAC
Name: Olivier
BazzokaJoe's Tacoma Gallery
the best way to prevent splatter/slag to stick is to put some anti-seize where you think those splatter will land
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #58
biggie is on a distinguished road

Name: Collin
biggie's Tacoma Gallery
just spray some pam on it and the slag will roll off
Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #59
Dance Party Guru
Drakivnsf is a splendid one to beholdDrakivnsf is a splendid one to beholdDrakivnsf is a splendid one to beholdDrakivnsf is a splendid one to beholdDrakivnsf is a splendid one to beholdDrakivnsf is a splendid one to beholdDrakivnsf is a splendid one to behold

Drakivnsf's Tacoma Gallery
I was just reading through this thread, and for those that didn't know.....the Tacoma spindles are forged, not cast. Looks like a couple others have already tried saying this but no one seems to notice lol.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #60
Fluffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakivnsf View Post
I was just reading through this thread, and for those that didn't know.....the Tacoma spindles are forged, not cast. Looks like a couple others have already tried saying this but no one seems to notice lol.

Casting is the process where metal is heated until molten. While in the molten or liquid state it is poured into a mold or vessel to create a desired shape.
Forging is the application of thermal and mechanical energy to steel billets or ingots to cause the material to change shape while in a solid state.

Sure looks like they are cast to me, but I've been wrong before. Today even.