DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Preventative Maintenance for Long Travel (Advice after going LT)

Old 02-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Marnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Marnes2986's Tacoma Gallery
Preventative Maintenance for Long Travel (Advice after going LT)

I know a lot of people are getting LT kits now and I've decided to drop a little knowledge for those first starting out. Im no guru and wasnt born with the desert in my backyard or with a wrench in my hand. But Ive had my LT kit since 06 and have experienced some things that could've been prevented. (advice is for 05+ tacos since that’s what I own but...)

This is an open discussion and I encourage everyone to post up with ADVICE and their experiences.

The TC Cam Tab Gussets are one of the first things that should be put on after installing a LT kit. Before TC offered these gussets, a number of us were bending the tabs, some as early as the second trip out with their new LT kit. When I bent mine I took it to DMZ and he laid a “bead” down right against the tab for support. Im sure any of you who own a welder will be able to perform this and it can be a cheaper alternative to the TC Cam Tab Gussets ($85/pair)

Ive seen this more prevalent with the oldergens, but the spindle is still the weak point on all these bolt-on LT kits. To prevent bending, TC and Allpro offer spindle gussets for our trucks. TC ($42/pair). ALLPRO ($49/pair).

TC ($42/pair)

ALLPRO ($49/PAIR)

The newer Toyota frames like to flex and I believe Toyota sacrificed rigidity and strength to give the driver a more comfortable ride. The older Toyota trucks came with strong frames and even boxed rear halfs. The leverage of a LT can cause the front coilbuckets to flex, bend and crack. Therefore, TC offers Coilbucket Tower Gussets ($89/Pair)

Although the TC Tower Gussets are a great addition, the whole front frame of the newgen trucks like to flex (or bow) along with the coilbucket. So to further alleviate this I opted to get a crossbar from DMZ that supported both buckets and strengthened the front frame. IMO after it was installed the front end felt noticeably solid through turns and I was more confident after a midjudged hard hit. Visit DMZFAB.com for the price or call.

The newgens have become more infamous for its frame failures, more specifically the motor-mounts. A number of us have discovered this by hearing their fan scraping on their fan-shroud LOL. With many complaints and a couple attempted lawsuits to Toyota (documented on TTORA), Toyota did a little plating over the mounts on their 2007+ models, but people were still busting motor-mounts. DMZ Fab offers gussets ($75/pair), call for purchase. Solo Motorsport offers a WIY gusset ($199)

DMZ Fab ($75/pair)

Solo MS WIY ($199)I cant blow it up for some reason.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Good write up. Also recommend pplz to box the rear frame if they know how or have the cash to.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up

I'd like to add a few things to the list (some are items you can buy some you can't):

- Welding the inside of the LCA mounts (will add pic later with this outlined).
- Cross-member Connecting the Shackle buckets (only applies to thoses with inverted shackles)

Just some things I've come across with my truck & others
Old 02-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. Gussets are definitely a critical part of LT. I just made myself a set of UCA/coil bucket gussets out of 3/16'' cold roll.

So far I have gusseted my spindles, my UCA's, my coil buckets, my bumper mounts and one motor mount (broke it, repaired it, gusseted it. I kick myself for not having the other side done at the same time).

I still need to do my LCA mounts, build an engine cage/coil bucket cross bar, and box the frame in.

Don't forget about the little stuff - I've had to rebuild my grill and headlight mounts because of the abuse. The suspension may be able to handle it, the rest of the truck might be another story.

I've broke my bumper mounts because I was prerunning with a plate bumper. My truck has always been pretty multi-purpose. I have plans in the near future (tube sitting in the garage) to build a tube bumper with aluminum skids and relocate the winch to the rear of the truck.

The damage:

Repaired:

Making sure it won't happen again:

1/4'' steel brace plate welded on all four sides to the stock mounting plate.

Both sides on, welded, and painted

Old 02-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mark, do you have a picture with the TC LCA/alignment cam gussets mounted?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Mark, do you have a picture with the TC LCA/alignment cam gussets mounted?
great job mark!!! too many people don't understand there is so much more to it than simply bolting on a kit and some fiberglass.

chase, i'll get some pics of my cam gussets for you in the morning
Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

shitty pic of the cam gussets installed...

Old 02-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
Zlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant future

Name: Rich
Zlagger's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread. This will come in handy. I was wondering if it was important to box the frame.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #10

So once those cam gussets are installed your camber and caster are fixed at that point, right?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #11

Quote:
So once those cam gussets are installed your camber and caster are fixed at that point, right?
they help a lot in keeping your alignment in spec, but big hits can still knock it out...
Old 02-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can still get it aligned if thats what you mean. Your not welding the cams, just the tabs. Although some people do weld the cams too and that would make the alignment non-adjustable without grinding off the welds
Old 02-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
jtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtlachac08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeremy
jtlachac08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
You can still get it aligned if thats what you mean. Your not welding the cams, just the tabs. Although some people do weld the cams too and that would make the alignment non-adjustable without grinding off the welds
I've pondered this, why not just go get an alignment to the spec of your choice. Mark it, weld it, gusset it, set it and forget it......
Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlachac08 View Post
I've pondered this, why not just go get an alignment to the spec of your choice. Mark it, weld it, gusset it, set it and forget it......
A wise man told me that welding the cams is great till something happens out on trail, then it turns into a pita. Gusset it and mark it, then if it gets bumped out or u need to work on area just match it up go. Not fun either way but the 1st option would be a bitch out on trail if not impossible.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
I should probably do the cam tab gussets...after this weekend!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
Marnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

This is what will happen if you dont gusset your motormounts.....so gusset them first before they break. Once they break its even harder to fix, because you gotta either jack up the motor or remove it. I believe Mpower had to pull his out.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
LT upgrades:

-Do not run stock spindles
-Must have a cage (5pts)
-Must create solid motor & trans mounts
-Always gusset upgraded area's (even bolt tabs; lowers, uppers)
-Frame gussets
-Always have spare parts
-Don't drive faster than you can (that voice in your head that says "I don't like this" is right)

Just a general idea of what you should do.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread. Getting mine all installed next week, starting with the spindle gussets, cam gussets and shock tower gussets. Plan on doing the motor mounts not to long after.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
Great thread. Getting mine all installed next week, starting with the spindle gussets, cam gussets and shock tower gussets. Plan on doing the motor mounts not to long after.
Make sure not to do any jumping or romping hard until you get the motor mounts, OR unless your suspension is valved properly. Thats how i busted my motor mounts. One Coilover, no bypass, 500# springs on a dubcab, no valving= slamming hard on the front end and breaking frame LOL
Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnes2986 View Post
Make sure not to do any jumping or romping hard until you get the motor mounts, OR unless your suspension is valved properly. Thats how i busted my motor mounts. One Coilover, no bypass, 500# springs on a dubcab, no valving= slamming hard on the front end and breaking frame LOL
I don't plan on jumping lol

The truck won't be driven hard, just want LT so I don't have to worry about the way I currently drive.

It will get done as a preventative measure, but with everything I have already paid for money won't be right for that for a little time.