DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Truck Noob Questions on LT

Old 03-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Fen is on a distinguished road
Fen's Tacoma Gallery
Truck Noob Questions on LT

I see some of the long travel kits on these Tacomas and they are awesome! I just had a couple questions.

My friend has a ford raptor (I'm not trying to out due him or anything) and we have a nice short course track nearby. Would I neeeed long travel or is there an in between kit I could get to have fun and still not chop my fenders. (And by having fun I mean hitting a few hard jumps)

Sorry if I have no idea about what kinda suspension I should get but I've driven a small car and a suburban as my only cars so far. Now I have a regular cab taco four banger with a supercharger.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
GreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
GreenTaco28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen View Post
I see some of the long travel kits on these Tacomas and they are awesome! I just had a couple questions.

My friend has a ford raptor (I'm not trying to out due him or anything) and we have a nice short course track nearby. Would I neeeed long travel or is there an in between kit I could get to have fun and still not chop my fenders. (And by having fun I mean hitting a few hard jumps)

Sorry if I have no idea about what kinda suspension I should get but I've driven a small car and a suburban as my only cars so far. Now I have a regular cab taco four banger with a supercharger.

Thanks!
Mid travel is the in between kit your talking about but it still probably won't be able to keep up with a Raptor. Can hit some good bumps and still go pretty fast though!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Fen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTaco28 View Post
Mid travel is the in between kit your talking about but it still probably won't be able to keep up with a Raptor. Can hit some good bumps and still go pretty fast though!

Thanks Tyler, I'll have to take a look at that. I've never heard of mid travel before.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
GreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
GreenTaco28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks Tyler, I'll have to take a look at that. I've never heard of mid travel before.
No problem. It mostly consists of an aftermarket uca and extended travel coilover for the front and a leaf pack with 10'' shocks in the rear. Just search around theres a ton of info on this site
Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Mid-travel front with hydraulic bumpstops and a rear LT conversion will go a long way towards closing the gap between your trucks.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
or step it up one more notch and get the allpro LT kit. Im pretty sure you can keep the factory fenders with it.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Just throw in the towel now LOL . Won't keep up with the raptor without a ton of $$$ .
Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Lol hard jumps eh? Stuff breaks when you jump if you arent built for it. Just quit now or else drop big money for lt
Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
or step it up one more notch and get the allpro LT kit. Im pretty sure you can keep the factory fenders with it.
x2

if a second gen tacoma, the All Pro kit will let you keep your stock fenders, but building the front will be useless on a short course with a stock rear suspension...

like mentioned already, get ready to drop some serious cash ($7,000+) or just jump in his truck and be a navigator...

and factor in the money you will drop into repairs and reinforcing all the stock parts you will break in the process...
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with the Total Chaos 2+ kit, as you can run a secondary bypass and it is a fully boxed LCA
Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
you will out-do him if you go long travel. just saying.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
just get bump stops and a helmet
Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
just get bump stops and a helmet
and a really good death and dismemberment insurance policy...

Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
LT Chase Truck

on a side note... you guys have a short course that's open to the public?

what do they charge to use it?

that's pretty sweet... kinda like an overgrown RC track...
Old 03-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
Fen's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the comments guys. Looks like I'm just going to have to man up and go LT all the way. Couple more question though... Is there a way to make the back end stable without having a suspension cage coming through the bed of the truck? And do any of you guys have ballpark numbers for how much all the work for LT has cost for your truck? (that might be a bit much to ask) I'm just planning on spending around 10-15k on the suspension for the truck. If that won't get me anywhere near what I was looking for I may just bail out and go for something that can handle just puddling around like a crawler with maybe a snorkel or something I dunno.

This is why I was into RC for so long. Upgrade the shit out of your vehicle, but at the end of the day you can total it and not be out a ton of money.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Fen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post

Yeah it's rare and pretty awesome. While it's not completely open to the public its at least open to a few close friends of the owners since we do some work with them.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for all the comments guys. Looks like I'm just going to have to man up and go LT all the way. One last question though. Is there a way to make the back end stable without having a suspension cage coming through the bed of the truck?
you can do a Bed Saver stye cage that allows you to retain most of the best space
Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
LT Chase Truck

Quote:
Yeah it's rare and pretty awesome. While it's not completely open to the public its at least open to a few close friends of the owners since we do some work with them.
oh that's awesome... you guys have so much land in TX... i like visiting my friends there, but damn, your heat and humidity KILL me every time... hahaha

as for your question about the bed, you can also cantilever the rear suspension but that can get costly as well...
Old 03-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
interm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant future
Name: Matt
interm_4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

mike you remember Rialto Offraod Raceway? Closed down back in 03.

http://youtu.be/vc3qkEwDcZ0
Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
Fen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
oh that's awesome... you guys have so much land in TX... i like visiting my friends there, but damn, your heat and humidity KILL me every time... hahaha

as for your question about the bed, you can also cantilever the rear suspension but that can get costly as well...

Cantilever... That's like those trucks that have independent arms for the rear suspension travel right? If so that would rock. This long travel suspension setup is quite the investment, so I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I just have this fear of getting something less than or more than what I would need and end up having to pay even more to compensate or replace equipment. x.x; I appreciate all the help.

Texas is nice this time of year, but I agree summer through late fall is pretty brutal.