DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

= => 2nd Gen. Total Chaos w/KING 2.5x8" Issue! Will it Work? <= =

Old 03-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD View Post

I hear you man. We all have our opinions and I've loved my KINGS so far and will continue to run them. I've had others and KINGS have always been my brand choice.

However the cost of KINGS and now the Out of No where cost of these Custom mounts might sway me to get FOX. I don't want to get FOX shocks but I have to be practical. I can't justify the fact that I can get FOX Shocks for $650-$750 and these KINGS will cost me in the neighborhood of $1300 w/the custom mount. Doesn't make sense to me. $$$ needs to go into other parts of the LT kit.
Step back and think about it. Your gonna spend a lot of money on something you're not completely happy with, or your gonna spend a lot of money plus more for something you already know you're gonna completely love. Sounds like an easy choice to me.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Important question for the OP....
Are you prerunner or 4x4?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #24
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
prerunner
Old 03-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I remember reading the old TC instructions for the 05+

With the old style top plate (the one he posted a picture of), the 4x4 guys have to invert the plate and cut the coil bucket to clearance for the resi. Prerunners did not have to invert them and it was still supposed to clearance the bucket. However I think some people still ran into isssues with the resi coming in contact at full bump.

Screw the wait, I say just notch the bucket, throw on some coil bucket gussets and put in secondary shock hoop for strength.

Not king, but you get the idea:

Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #26
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
Maybe its an issue with TC top plates and King in general. Jberry has a 1st gen but had issues with his resi hose hitting the upper shock mount. He has low pro hose fittings now and everything clears fine
First gen's are a little different. The resi is in line with one of the top plate bolts and the resi elbow came in contact with the bolt and sheered off.

Althought.....might be just enough in this case to get the extra clearance without notching the bucket.
My before and after. Notice the low profile elbow.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #27
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
^THanks JBERRY! If I do that route. Which I would eventually. Will I be able to bypass the custom plates? I'll just get it down now with some BYpasses as well then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
Ray...I say you just sell me your rear resi's and be done with this whole "off-roading" fad.
Get yourself a wrx and go racing man!

I'll tell you the same but since you don't fit in a WRX. I say you get a Toyota Sienna or perhaps a Nissan Quest. Seems like a perfect fit for your style. Drop some kings on them with some beefier tires?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #28
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
we can make it work, its not that bad
You're always so helpful! TY panda bear.

Pfffft. Perhaps just throwing some GNAR blocks will solve it. Yeah BRO!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #29

RAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post
I don't see how that wouldn't work

Mine

FOX shocks have NO issues with the TC LT Kit as thats what most guys run with it. Its the KING shocks that seem to demand more from our wallets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
heres what the 2nd gen king top plates look like on my truck

Did you buy that extra plate from KINGS? Thats what I'm afraid of, it looks to be different from the TC LT Kit version.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #31

RAD's Tacoma Gallery
^ I want one too. If I end up moving to Portland. I will need a AWD or 4x4. So a SUBIE or something is in the works. I want to keep this TRUCK as well.

I'd just get a WRX and pass on the STI. I don't want to pay the extra coin for it and insurance is a lot more compared to the WRX. I'd do some mods to spruce it up and keep it low key. I'm too old to drive fast anyways.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #32
The Mad Scientist

No love for my suggestions?

There's no absolute recipe for long travel. You MAKE things work the way you want.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #33

RAD's Tacoma Gallery
^ I Did. check again.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #34
desert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan Blagg
desert guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
we can make it work, its not that bad
blackhawke88 is right. You can make it work. We had this problem when we put a long travel kit on my friends Tacoma at my shop last year. We ended up getting rid of the whole coil bucket because the limited room.
*The whole issue we had is that using the stock Coil Bucket location will limit your options for shock room. (But a lot more fab time is required to make your own mounts which is costly and time consuming and you probably don't want to do that).
Most companies build the LT kits to fit/ bolt on to stock locations. I rode in Eddies (special K) and his worked great! I would do what he did if you can
Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #35
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
^THanks JBERRY! If I do that route. Which I would eventually. Will I be able to bypass the custom plates? I'll just get it down now with some BYpasses as well then.

You can add bypasses at any time. You don't need the bypasses to add the secondary shock hoop, but that shock hoop will add so much more strength to the bucket.

I'm impatient. If I were you I'd just use what you got, ask King to build it with a low profile elbow like mine, notch the bucket, and order the secondary shock hoop and be done with it. Better to spend the extra 200 bucks on a shock hoop that will add functionality and strength than some stupid custom top plate.

Quote:
^ I Did. check again.
Ninja edit!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #36
desert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan Blagg
desert guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
You can add bypasses at any time. You don't need the bypasses to add the secondary shock hoop, but that shock hoop will add so much more strength to the bucket.

I'm impatient. If I were you I'd just use what you got, ask King to build it with a low profile elbow like mine, notch the bucket, and order the secondary shock hoop and be done with it. Better to spend the extra 200 bucks on a shock hoop that will add functionality and strength than some stupid custom top plate.

Ninja edit!
I Agree!!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #37

RAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post

Ninja edit!

Check the edit time and your post. I did address you first You failed to read like KING failed to make their shocks fit the TC kit.

I agree with what you're saying and I can't justify spending the coin on a plate! So I rather get the hoop now and do it as I will eventually. Now it looks like eventually is now. LOL
Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #38
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
You'll get it worked . No rush the desert isn't going anywhere .
Old 03-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #39
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
So what's the big deal here? Isn't it all for show anyway?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #40
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
LOL