DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

LT overkill for me?

Old 03-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #41
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingTaco View Post
I'm probably going to go with a Fox CO w/ Total Chaos UCA in the front and a Fox shock with either the AP or Deaver leaf pack in the rear. Like you said, clearance is important. I was thinking in terms of travel and flex but neglected to consider dragging my axle through the mud.

I have about $7000 to work with and with the money I'd spend going LT I could go mid and afford high clearance front and back bumpers... which will put me a lot further ahead than an extra couple of inches of travel.
thats almost exactly the setup i have now and i have plenty of flex for trails and mud and can go decently fast over things still! U will be more than impressed with that setup and increase your ground clearance instead of reduce it! With around 7k you could do full mid travel front and back (about $3000 new), high clearance bumpers front and back (about $1200-$1500 new), gears front and back (about $1000-$1200 installed), rear locker ($400 installed yourself) and tires ($1000)! and thats a trail ready rig
Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #42
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My plan is to go suspension, tires, sliders and bumpers first, then I'll enjoy it for a bit and decide what to do next (probably a winch).

The truck already has a locker, and the gearing I'll hold off on until I decide how the truck performs with the upsized tires.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #43
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My plan is to go suspension, tires, sliders and bumpers first, then I'll enjoy it for a bit and decide what to do next (probably a winch).

The truck already has a locker, and the gearing I'll hold off on until I decide how the truck performs with the upsized tires.
Sounds like a good plan
Old 03-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #44
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Found these and thought they were interesting.

Mid travel (to be fair, I think there's room for more articulation, although he does have his left rear stuffed and his right front is rubbing the fender flair)

Long travel (F*ck yeah!)

And a ramp comparison to a solid front axle 1 gen truck with a 4" Marlin lift.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #45
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
nice!!!!!!

ahhhh!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #46
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Found these and thought they were interesting.

Mid travel (to be fair, I think there's room for more articulation, although he does have his left rear stuffed and his right front is rubbing the fender flair)

Long travel (F*ck yeah!)

And a ramp comparison to a solid front axle 1 gen truck with a 4" Marlin lift.

i dont see how these justify as comparisons and btw the white LT truck is still mid travel in the back
Old 03-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #48
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
I'll just leave these here

Old 04-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #50
adrn1986 will become famous soon enough
Name: Adrian
adrn1986's Tacoma Gallery
The front end wasn't flexed but the rear was at its MAX! I obviously have no business in the notches driving a pre-runner

Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #51
10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
Name: Dillon
10.21's Tacoma Gallery
OP,

I'm in the same situation. I want LT but live on the East Coast. LT will give you more flex which a lot of Cali guys think is only good for whoops and jumps. For the trails you and I are used to, it is great. If you have the money, go for it.

I'm currently in the process of saving up for a whole new truck with mods etc. added into the price. My mindset is to set-up the truck to the environment you will use it. If you're someone who is specifically going to ride technical trails and that is it, mid-travel may be the way to go. I for instance move when the military tells me to. So, one day I could be in NC driving the Uwharrie, the next week I'll be out in California riding the dunes (kind of the reason I am Tacoma-less right now). Check out MrGrimm's ride too. He's out in CA right now but is in the same boat I am in so, he adjusted his truck around that...can jump it if he wants, or drive through some confined rocky/tree filled areas.

Your post (#45), the guy with LT is freeze, I think. I think he uses that thing for strict overland/expo. If I can find it, I'll post the pictures of my truck inspiration. It was like an AP prototype some guy did on the Expeditionportal.com. AP LT up front, 2.0 Fox Shox in rear with the AP Expo leaf springs.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #52
Vali is on a distinguished road

Name: Vali
Vali's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Guy's,
Having been in your shoe's and asked all these same questions...
and being a year into my build...

The thing that made me head towards LT was simply I want to go FASTon really rough roads.

That being said, when I'm running up to 80 miles an hour on these roads I'm really glad I put every bolt on, and check tork specs a lot...

I don't think I'd feel safe letting someone else do the work.
That's just me
I'm not trying to be a buzz killer, I'm only half there and have a great time offroad

I'm really happy with how this thing handles it is incredible
It's a lot of friggin' work