Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Some Questions

Old 03-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
jets is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jets's Tacoma Gallery
Some Questions

So I'm slowly getting parts around to start a build on my taco and I just scored a set of SAW coilovers brand new for 500 bucks but they do not have springs. What are you guys running spring rate wise for your tacos with 4x4 with an extended cab? I assume 600# but I just want to make sure before I place an order. Next my question is about the axles themselves. I'm not sure what kit I'm leaning towards still(TC or Camburg) but I prefer TC just on principle. I read somewhere that the tundra axles will work, but what is involved? Would it be better to just fork up the money and get the axles made by TC or Camburg and if I do could I use the TC axles with a camburg kit and vice versa..? (because I still am not sure on the kit)

Yes I searched and couldn't find the answers to my questions, sorry for the lengthy post just want to do it right the first time around.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
What length/size C/O did you get?

Tundra axles will work fine.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
jets's Tacoma Gallery
They are 2.5 8" so If I get a set of tundra axles they will bolt right in?
Old 04-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
An 18" 600 spring should be good for you; order name: 300.18.600

Yes the axles will bolt in for the TC kit, I am not sure about Camburg but I don't see why it would change between the two kits. Only thing different would be their custom upgraded CV's.

As far as the coil overs go they should be fine but I'm not 100% sure on the clearances for the axles seeing how some companies run a longer shock rod end.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure on TC's exact sizing but a standard 2.5x8 shock will not work on 1st gen Camburg LT kit. You need an 8" shock that collapses to 14 3/8" for Camburg or you will lose uptravel. Chaos may be your only option if your not willing to trade coilovers
Old 04-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
^^^

listen. trust me
Old 04-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
What everyone said is true.
Also for 4x4, you want the cone shaped lower spring seat, not the flat one.
Like this:

Old 04-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
jets's Tacoma Gallery
Well even better the coilovers I bought were for a camburg kit so the length and everything is set up for the kit and have the cone lowers. When I had my tundra I remember I had 16" coils up front and an 18" wouldn't necessarily fit without having a flat spring seat. I'm still kind of confused about the axles and what has to be done for them to work. I've searched everywhere to no avail. Do they need modifying because the tacoma has that weird tripod inner and the tundra doesn't jberry what spring length are you running?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oops I misread. You're results may vary, but IIRC my king's are a 16" coil with the cone seat.

As for the axles, it's a walk in the park. You don't have to swap tripods or anything. Just buy 1st gen Tundra cv axles from the dealer or any auto parts store or even from TC. The 1st gen tundra and tacoma have the same spline count. No special tricks really needed. Remove tacoma CV axles, insert tundra cv axles.

However, I'd highly suggest you do the porche 930 inner cv boot mod. Use the bates style cv boots.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
jets's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome thanks for the information and heads up, thats what I'll do! Now I just have to debate on which kit I want. I had a TC kit on my tundra and the only complaint I had was it never aligned properly (could have been a bent coilbucket from barging with midtravel) and with the bushing lower it squeeked like no other haha. Definitely going to gusset everything I can before I take the truck out, learned the hard way! I'll have more questions coming I'm sure
Old 04-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
The Mad Scientist

Mine aligned perfect when I first installed it. I have coil gussets and shock hoops, but I've since done a few too many hard hits and I'm sitting slightly negative camber now. Only real way to prevent it is a simple engine cage. If I could do it all over again, I would have bought the heim upper kit and ran at least a single tube between the bypass hoops. Its still in the plan, but later down the road at this point.

As for the bushings...dry lube. I bathed mine in dry lube before I installed and have never had a single squeek.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
Well even better the coilovers I bought were for a camburg kit so the length and everything is set up for the kit and have the cone lowers. When I had my tundra I remember I had 16" coils up front and an 18" wouldn't necessarily fit without having a flat spring seat. I'm still kind of confused about the axles and what has to be done for them to work. I've searched everywhere to no avail. Do they need modifying because the tacoma has that weird tripod inner and the tundra doesn't jberry what spring length are you running?
Quote:
Awesome thanks for the information and heads up, thats what I'll do! Now I just have to debate on which kit I want. I had a TC kit on my tundra and the only complaint I had was it never aligned properly (could have been a bent coilbucket from barging with midtravel) and with the bushing lower it squeeked like no other haha. Definitely going to gusset everything I can before I take the truck out, learned the hard way! I'll have more questions coming I'm sure
Im confused
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
i recognize your screen name from DR... you had the green tundra huh?

i'm in ojai. you planning to go to the VC off road expo?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
jets's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
i recognize your screen name from DR... you had the green tundra huh?

i'm in ojai. you planning to go to the VC off road expo?
Yes I did! I'm slowly getting everything around for the build, my dream truck was a built taco 4x4 manual and I am finally in the process!! When is the off road expo going on?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
there's going to be a group of us going on saturday afternoon and then hit up the bars on main street

here's the thread

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...4-21-12-a.html
Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes I did! I'm slowly getting everything around for the build, my dream truck was a built taco 4x4 manual and I am finally in the process!! When is the off road expo going on?
Nice build that shit yo!