DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

People with Defined Engineering SUA kits

Old 06-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #41
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
Dafuq! I could've sworn you were 4WD! Yeah well my bearing bearly wants to pull through and the rubber part rubs on the metal part at full droop. Nick thinks its just the angle and the drop will fix it.
thats why i recommend 2wd trucks have a slipjoint added to the rear section. the 2wd driveshaft works fine it just stresses the carrier bearing, not much more than stock springs do though.the whole driveshaft moves when the axle is cycled, just not optimal even in stock form . thats why pretty much only the 2wd guys have carrier bearing problems.

the trans has plenty of slip yoke left at full bump and dosent bind at full droop.so shortening the shaft wouldent be a good idea.

also you need to loosen the cb mount at ride height to center it after you install the kit.this alone helps alot with the longevity of the cb

i wouldent change the angle , just get the ds modified and your fine. you can also get a used 4wd ds and swap the rear section out, get it balanced and your set .
Old 06-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #42
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
since this is a SUA thread, what do people think about the Giant SUA conversion for the 2nd gen? looks nearly bolt on minus the fact that you'd have to grind off the existing spring mounts.

would that be able to install in stages like the defined kit, meaning be able to use the stock length shocks for a while? or would one have to immediately use longer shocks?

ultimately, I'm thinking SUA, then bedcage eventually, but that period of time could be a year or so. what would be the performance differences between the giant and defined kits with stock length shocks, and with a bedcage and 16-18" shocks?

same questions for the DMZ kit...

just thinking out loud here...

nevermind. found some snippets of what I was looking for in terms of answers(could be baised, but nonetheless, they are answers...)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post4248066

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post3924255
Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #43
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure you could use stock length shocks with the giant kit. You just need to get the correct length limit straps so you don't rip your shocks in 2.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #44
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Limit straps and bump stops would have to be adjusted.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #45
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Planning on having the kit installed sometime this month, August.

I have a question regarding a bump stop set-up. I was thinking would it be possible to get the Wheelers rear super-bumps and weld that to the axle (or old spring perch)? It would be in the factory location and bumping off the same spot the factory bump would be on the frame.

Would that work?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #46
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
So I'm starting to do some research on LT's because I want to start moving towards a rear LT in the near future. But I want to do it in steps. Some people have said that I can get the Defined Stage 1 SUA Kit and use limiting straps until I can get a cage and longer shocks. I was looking at the Defined website and it looks like they have two kits, one that is $1380 and another that is $1650. I'm confused about what the difference is between these two kits. The $1650 one says that it only has up to 10" of travel while the cheaper ($1380) one says it has up to 15" of travel

Can anyone enlighten me? I'm still a newb when it comes to all this suspension stuff...
Old 11-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #47
Bandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Bandwagon's Tacoma Gallery
The more expensive kit has stuff for bump stops
Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #48
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post

Can anyone enlighten me? I'm still a newb when it comes to all this suspension stuff...
The more expensive kit is what is referred to as the "Stage 1" kit. This means it is designed to be ran with stock length/shocks in the OEM location. It includes Bolt-on Mounts for Poly Bumps to replace the factory ones.

The Cheaper kit will require relocating the shocks to a simple shock hoop or bedcage and limit straps

Go with the cheaper one.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #49
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
The more expensive kit is what is referred to as the "Stage 1" kit. This means it is designed to be ran with stock length/shocks in the OEM location. It includes Bolt-on Mounts for Poly Bumps to replace the factory ones.

The Cheaper kit will require relocating the shocks to a simple shock hoop or bedcage and limit straps

Go with the cheaper one.
Hmmm... So with the cheaper kit there is no way to do it in steps? How much do you think it would cost to have a shop do the install on one of these?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #50
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Hmmm... So with the cheaper kit there is no way to do it in steps? How much do you think it would cost to have a shop do the install on one of these?
Can you weld or have a friend that can?

Then you can do it yourself. All that has to be welded on is the spring perches. Everything bolts in to stock hangers/shackle buckets.

Otherwise probably $400-800 depending on shop etc.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #51

Quote:
Can you weld or have a friend that can?

Then you can do it yourself. All that has to be welded on is the spring perches. Everything bolts in to stock hangers/shackle buckets.

Otherwise probably $400-800 depending on shop etc.
Planning on learning this next semester between classes... Would it be better to just go strait to a bed cage, or go with shock hoops and then save up for the cage?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #52
Max's Canadian Twin

Quote:
Planning on learning this next semester between classes... Would it be better to just go strait to a bed cage, or go with shock hoops and then save up for the cage?
Well then I'm sure you can handle it. But unless you're 100% sure of it or have a friend that knows it I would get shop to do it.

Most people either go one way or the other. Depending on the use of their truck and future plans for the truck. Both serve the same basic purpose
Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Well then I'm sure you can handle it. But unless you're 100% sure of it or have a friend that knows it I would get shop to do it.

Most people either go one way or the other. Depending on the use of their truck and future plans for the truck. Both serve the same basic purpose
Yeah maybe I'll ask around. I was assuming the bedcage would allow for longer shocks and more up travel. Is that false?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #54
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
mainly it will allow for a longer shock that will be a closer match to the droop that the LT springs have
Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #56
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
theres not much point of doing hoops if you plan on doing a bed cage later, thats why i went with shock hoops, i knew that with what i like to do my truck won't need or see a bed cage
Old 12-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
theres not much point of doing hoops if you plan on doing a bed cage later, thats why i went with shock hoops, i knew that with what i like to do my truck won't need or see a bed cage
Hmmm... That means finding someone in my area who can do it...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #58
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
Defined Engineering SUA kits, Diff Skidplate, clamps and mounts are now SCORE Baja proven class championship winning parts. A full race season, 2 baja 1000's and we are still on the original springs with no maintenance other than visual inspections. now how many leafspring kits can say that? if these parts can survive being punished by LBR and Andy Bell. they can survive whatever you can throw at them.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #59
Bandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Bandwagon's Tacoma Gallery
so what are the details of his rear setup? how many leafs, what type of shocks? any modifications to your kit or is it the same setup you sell?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #60
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Defined SUA is legit.....saving up man!