DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Supertop with fiberglass bedsides?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jacob
jacobigindi's Tacoma Gallery
Supertop with fiberglass bedsides?

Long story short, I'm kinda just planning a future build I'm gunna get started on as soon as I graduate. Question: can you mount a supertop with fiberglass bedsides? (probably not the ones with the arched top sides, but the flat topped ones.)

*I tried google and the search function to no avail, but pics if anyone has that setup would be great
P.S. I'm planning on a cantilevered rear suspension so I can keep the bed intact and use it for hauling/camping (hence the supertop)/etc.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
whitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
whitetoblack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobigindi View Post
Long story short, I'm kinda just planning a future build I'm gunna get started on as soon as I graduate. Question: can you mount a supertop with fiberglass bedsides? (probably not the ones with the arched top sides, but the flat topped ones.)

*I tried google and the search function to no avail, but pics if anyone has that setup would be great
P.S. I'm planning on a cantilevered rear suspension so I can keep the bed intact and use it for hauling/camping (hence the supertop)/etc.
It can be done and it has been done before it just takes a lot of work. I am gonna be doing it pretty soon on my 1st gen but its gonna turn out one of a kind. I don't have any pics but there is a thread on dezertrangers discussing it. Since the fiberglass cannot hold the weight of a shell (I'm assuming that's what you mean by supertop) custom brackets must be made to support it. Also if the bedsides have a bulge on the top they will not sit flush with the shell but instead the shell will look as if its just sitting on a ledge. Hopefully someone who has done it before will chime in but to get it to look good it takes the right fenders mixed with some good custom fab work. Good luck with it I'm sure it will look awesome if its done right
Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetoblack View Post
It can be done and it has been done before it just takes a lot of work. I am gonna be doing it pretty soon on my 1st gen but its gonna turn out one of a kind. I don't have any pics but there is a thread on dezertrangers discussing it. Since the fiberglass cannot hold the weight of a shell (I'm assuming that's what you mean by supertop) custom brackets must be made to support it. Also if the bedsides have a bulge on the top they will not sit flush with the shell but instead the shell will look as if its just sitting on a ledge. Hopefully someone who has done it before will chime in but to get it to look good it takes the right fenders mixed with some good custom fab work. Good luck with it I'm sure it will look awesome if its done right
Well, i just had the bestop supertop in mind (the soft top that folds down, that way I can fold it down when I hit the dirt so this doesn't happen http://www.chaosfab.com/photo/images...ith%20logo.jpg). I'd imagine those are alot lighter than a full fiberglass shell. I guess what I'm asking is, do you still have the components and surface necessary to clamp the softop's mounting rails to the bed, or do you lose those when you go with the fiberglass? iirc, the supertop just clamps onto the top of the bed walls and under the bedrails? You keep the bedrails when you put new bedsides right?
So i assume you're putting a fiberglass shell on ur bed? that should look legit, nuthin but glass behind the cab
Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #4

aaaanyone done it?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Should work fine
Old 05-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Toyota Its Like A Jeep Thing Only Better
Socalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Socalrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Heres Will's truck with a bestop. He has glassworks bedsides