DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Long travel with 268,000 miles?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Nielsen23 is just really niceNielsen23 is just really niceNielsen23 is just really niceNielsen23 is just really nice

Name: Nick
Nielsen23's Tacoma Gallery
Long travel with 268,000 miles?

Hey guys, iv been reading up on long travel for a couple of moths now. I still have alot to learn but if i could pick up a 1999 Tacoma with 268,000 miles with the 2.7 liter 4 cylinder automatic. Would it even be worth my time and money to make it long travel. It would be a project truck since i dont have all the money to build it up at once. The body is dinged up but i would be replacing most of the panels with fiberglass. I work at a car dealership and its used as the shop truck, so it gets driven a couple miles a day if that. It used to be a plow truck and its 4 wheel drive. I could pick it up cheap, like 500 bucks kind of cheap. So would it even be worth it or would long traveling it pretty much destroy it?
Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
As long as you don't mind the possibility of rebuilding the engine and/or replacing the transmission in the future, go for it.

A shop truck used for plowing I'm sure has had a tough life, especially seeing that you're in Michigan. That would mean the transmission has been beat on from plowing, the front end is worn (which you'd be replacing most of anyways if you go LT), and the engine would have gone on frequent short trips and not given a chance to warm up.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
You would probably want a v6. Also the engine probably needs a rebuild
Old 05-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
5 or 6 lug?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
TW resident Camel
cjasu is one of the sharper tools in the shedcjasu is one of the sharper tools in the shedcjasu is one of the sharper tools in the shedcjasu is one of the sharper tools in the shedcjasu is one of the sharper tools in the shedcjasu is one of the sharper tools in the shedcjasu is one of the sharper tools in the shedcjasu is one of the sharper tools in the shedcjasu is one of the sharper tools in the shedcjasu is one of the sharper tools in the shedcjasu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: CJ
cjasu's Tacoma Gallery
Id say go for it esoecially since itd be a project truck
Old 05-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
for 500 bux and a toy project, go for it...

although out there, you may find more use for it as a crawler...

my truck has 270,000 miles on original motor and trans and still runs good...

and you work at a dealership, so you have access to whatever maintenance it will need, right?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Motiracer38 is a splendid one to beholdMotiracer38 is a splendid one to beholdMotiracer38 is a splendid one to beholdMotiracer38 is a splendid one to beholdMotiracer38 is a splendid one to beholdMotiracer38 is a splendid one to beholdMotiracer38 is a splendid one to behold

Motiracer38's Tacoma Gallery
If it's 4wd that means it's a 6 lug. I loved my Tacoma 4cyl motor so I'd say get it, especially for the price. Just watch out for rusted out framerails.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motiracer38 View Post
If it's 4wd that means it's a 6 lug. I loved my Tacoma 4cyl motor so I'd say get it, especially for the price. Just watch out for rusted out framerails.
i suck... missed the 4WD part

i see you came over here from the depths of DR lol
Old 06-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Nielsen23 is just really niceNielsen23 is just really niceNielsen23 is just really niceNielsen23 is just really nice

Name: Nick
Nielsen23's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for advice guys. I actually found out that its not for sale For now ill be on the look for a Tacoma that I will use strictly for long travel.