DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Air Bumps vs Light Racing Jounce shocks

Old 06-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Air Bumps vs Light Racing Jounce shocks

for a mid travel front set up, id like to add either 2.0 air bumps or light racing jounces. thoughts? the light racing jounces are really expensive tho!

so what are the benefits over the other of the two?
Old 06-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed...
Old 06-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Old 06-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Pass that...

Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
Pass that...

Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I think the jounce bumps are just nitrogen charged, no valving.

Hydrolic bumps like Kings, Foxes, SAWs, etc, are valved and can be rebuilt. You can set them from 100 to 400 psi depending on your setup.

I rode in a truck with light racing jouce rear bump stops and my back hurt like hell after the ride.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Quote:
for a mid travel front set up, id like to add either 2.0 air bumps or light racing jounces. thoughts? the light racing jounces are really expensive tho!

so what are the benefits over the other of the two?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
I think the jounce bumps are just nitrogen charged, no valving.

Hydrolic bumps like Kings, Foxes, SAWs, etc, are valved and can be rebuilt. You can set them from 100 to 400 psi depending on your setup.

I rode in a truck with light racing jouce rear bump stops and my back hurt like hell after the ride.
maybe it didn't have long enough ones? i was more specifically looking for the front tho, well the rear too potentially
Old 06-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

length of travel doesnt matter, it is the way it is charged/valved.

Hydro bumps only have a little bit of valving, but it is the charge of the bumps that affects how hard they soak up the hits. I dont think you can change the psi on the jounce bumps.

It sounds like you want the jounce bumps, buy them and give us a full review
Old 06-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Either will work fine.

I'm running LR Bumps in the rear since I got them at such a good deal. They have served me well for what they do (they took awhile to get properly tuned tho). I don't think I'd recommend them for highspeed uses.

Reg. Hydro/Air Bumps will be cheaper initially & depending on where you get the fab work done or if you do it yourself it could be fairly cheap. They will also hold up better for highspeed uses.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes you can change the PSI in LR bumps as well as the rebound & compression at the turn of an Allen key.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
I'm thinking jounces for the front and hydro's in the rear, this is all down the road tho.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
Yes you can change the PSI in LR bumps as well as the rebound & compression at the turn of an Allen key.
really? then how come you cant tune them to work at high speeds? They sound pretty good then
Old 06-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Max's Canadian Twin

You can tune them fine for highspeeds more for the high heat issue & the durability of the internals that I see as the problem. Mike (Defined) does well with the Donahoe Chubby's (essentially the same) on the rear of his truck tho.

Quote:
I'm thinking jounces for the front and hydro's in the rear, this is all down the road tho.
Not a bad plan, but it'd probably be cheaper just to run hydro bumps on all four corners
Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
That was also with my midtravel rear, LR's PSI was really low, and it was in Barstow

As mentioned above Mike and Defined has them on this truck and does well with them. I have high hopes for mine once my rear is complete and can start tuning them.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

sounds like they're pretty cool then.

My buddy Anthony250 has OEM replacement rear leaf pack and mid travel shocks with SAW 2.0 bumps and he keeps up with me in Barstow and Lucerne
Old 06-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Max's Canadian Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
That was also with my midtravel rear, LR's PSI was really low, and it was in Barstow
It's like anything, that goes without proper tuning
Old 06-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
after going out a few times with my new front the rear is the weak link, but i haven't don't my shock hoops yet, plus when i get a bumper, tire carrier and carry my spare, the weight might help smooth the expos out as well.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
Max's Canadian Twin

Quote:
after going out a few times with my new front the rear is the weak link, but i haven't don't my shock hoops yet, plus when i get a bumper, tire carrier and carry my spare, the weight might help smooth the expos out as well.
Don't want to burst your bubble, but without an extra 200lbs+ over that it won't exactly be a "smooth ride"
Old 06-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
Quote:
Don't want to burst your bubble, but without an extra 200lbs+ over that it won't exactly be a "smooth ride"
we may have different expectations because i don't consider it bad right now
Old 06-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #20
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's like anything, that goes without proper tuning
Yup