DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

XRunner as a project base

Old 06-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
AFZ is on a distinguished road
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
XRunner as a project base

I found an Xrunner for a helluva deal, cheaper than any 2nd Gen I've found. It has all the features I'm looking for - V6, Manual, 2WD and Access Cab.

With that said, is the suspension or frame different from the rest of the Tacomas? I'm worried the knuckles might be different or something.

I'm figuring this is my best bang-for-buck, I save $4,000 over a normal 2nd Gen, then I can sell the body kit, wheels and bumpers for some more cash.

*obviously it has factory lowering springs and different shocks
Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
RMCO is on a distinguished road
RMCO's Tacoma Gallery
It's basically a slightly lowered 5-lug with a body kit. If it fits the 5-lug it fits an X-Runner.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
as anyone else will tell you if you are going to be serious about LT the less options and the less money spent on the actual truck the better. Gives you more options to make your truck the way you want it.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Some one from xru will chime but until then... The suspension is completely different than your regular tacoma.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
RMCO's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it is really all that different aside from the bilstein shocks, front springs, and different leaf pack in the rear. That and sways front and rear and the x-brace.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoTacoma View Post
Some one from xru will chime but until then... The suspension is completely different than your regular tacoma.
I'm aware of the SAU and SUA issue. Don't most LT guys run SUA to prevent twisting?

Also is it just the A-arms, springs and knuckles that are different up front, or are the frame mounts and spring perches different?

I guess in the long run it doesn't matter to much. I know there will be a lot of fab (garage) and my other options seem to be base-ish 4-bangers which are 5-lugs as well. At least I won't have V6 envy.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
Was buy a dealer.

6 lug

5 lug

Oh yeah, without taking the wheels off, I can't tell about the Control Arms and mounts, but it would appear the spring perch on the 5-Lug is shorter.

Cut and Weld?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
AbunaiXR is on a distinguished road
AbunaiXR's Tacoma Gallery
I know for the front bumper and im gonna assume the rear, if you take off the body kit pieces, there will be slots (holes) in the bumper.

Hard to see in this picture but you should be able to get an idea.

Dont know if you had any interest in this, but i thought it was good to know.

As for the suspension, it uses bilstien shocks as well. I would guess the rears could be the same, but not the front.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Lol, your turning an Xr into an LT truck? Thats kinda awesome, the thoughts crossed my mind before.

FYI, we have the 18" rims due to our bigger breaks as well, remember to factor that into any rim/wheel combo's your thinking of
Old 06-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
what's a helluva deal? how cheap?

if it's just a project, you would have less expense and headache buying a salvage from a junk yard and building it up...

for a starting build, you only really need the cab and most of the front end...

if you can get a salvage or a beater for $3,000 then drop another $7,000 to $10,000 in the build, you have a finished rig for under $15,000...
Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
what's a helluva deal? how cheap?

if it's just a project, you would have less expense and headache buying a salvage from a junk yard and building it up...

for a starting build, you only really need the cab and most of the front end...

if you can get a salvage or a beater for $3,000 then drop another $7,000 to $10,000 in the build, you have a finished rig for under $15,000...
X2
Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
X2
I've never seen a salvage or beater.

Helluva Deal is ~11k. Closest V6 I've seen is $18k. Prices are absolutely stupid. 2009 Base trucks going for $15k ect.

I've been back and fourth on the whole thing. Get a junker Ranger or Hilux for $3k and start fighting rust, doing engine swaps, ect ect and then stepping back going - Ya know, I wanted a 2nd Gen... and I did all this to make it "like a 2nd gen"... and now I could have just spent the extra 25 cents and had a 2nd gen.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFZ View Post
I've never seen a salvage or beater.

Helluva Deal is ~11k. Closest V6 I've seen is $18k. Prices are absolutely stupid. 2009 Base trucks going for $15k ect.

I've been back and fourth on the whole thing. Get a junker Ranger or Hilux for $3k and start fighting rust, doing engine swaps, ect ect and then stepping back going - Ya know, I wanted a 2nd Gen... and I did all this to make it "like a 2nd gen"... and now I could have just spent the extra 25 cents and had a 2nd gen.
Before i bought my truck i came across several 2nd gen salvage titles with either frame damage or flood damage for under 6k in the exact config i wanted that i paid 19,500 for. if you are going LT all the damaged items are coming out if you get pretty serious. just a suggestion because 99.9% of the LT guys will tell you if they were to do it again they would get a salvage vehicle. might be worth going to some auctions.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
You can always find a prerunner and ask if they want to swap parts
Old 06-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
RMCO's Tacoma Gallery
I have an X-Runner outside if you want me to snap any pics to compare. I've wanted to do a mid travel setup but gave up when I couldn't find any real options for the rear.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbunaiXR View Post
I know for the front bumper and im gonna assume the rear, if you take off the body kit pieces, there will be slots (holes) in the bumper.
All the more reason to get glass fenders and plate bumper/skids.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
It probably wouldnt be the most cost effective or effecient way to go........bad damn wouldn't it be badass to have LT Xrunner.......

And as Tostidos said, if I could do it all again, instead of buying a V6 Access cab 4x4, I would go find a salvage Reg Cab base model and LT dafuq outta it.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #18
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
As luck will have it!

A friend called me this morning and his dealership took in on trade a mint Access Cab, V6 Pre-Runner that is Navy Blue. Not sure on year but price will be favorable. I did not know the Pre-Runner could be had as an Access Cab, sweet! Downside is its automatic, but then again that is a better selection for the dunes.

I also found a local í05 4X4 Access Cab. Itís silver (gross), but itís down the street.

Now believe it or not I have been doing a lot of research both here and other sites and Iíve realized I have a flaw in my plans. I was originally looking exclusively at RWD, mainly for cost (buy + modify), simplicity and weight. However, I never considered while most run them without issue, most are also in the South West running on hard desert. I will likely be spending 80% of my time at the Dunes in soft sand.

Should I be strongly considering a 4x4 giving my locale, or would a set of paddles cover any fears?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Get a 4x4.......you will kill yourself later if you don't.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
Get a 4x4.......you will kill yourself later if you don't.
I think you are right. Weight difference is 200lbs and if it came to it, I can delete the center shafts of the axels.

The cost of LT for a 4X4 only appear to be at max a grand more.