DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

ALRIGHT whats the BOTTOM line on LT?

Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
diesel tech
AddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud of

Name: wyatt
AddicTioN's Tacoma Gallery
ALRIGHT whats the BOTTOM line on LT?

ok well im selling my truck it should sell soon. once it sells i will have a good chunk of change and i will be buying a tacoma. i have been looking at LT kits for the past few days and really cant decide on what to do. i was looking at camburg but i dont have 8 grand extra...i saw some post on the forum that people have had kits installed for around 5 grand and that was including parts. that is at the price i need to be. so what kit should i go with in that price range? whats parts are recommended? also i will be getting a 4wd truck so i can still have fun in the snow so a 4wd kit is a must.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
A $5k budget is not going to get you much. Because now you gotta take into consideration possibly getting new wheels, tires, re-gear, glass, etc...Hell, I just spent $5k alone in wheels and tires...
Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
do you want just front LT?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
read dem stickies
Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
don't have LT, don't know much (compared to most of these guys) about it. . hell, ive never seen one in person/in action. but i always thought this was a well written and informative thread. hope it helps.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...ere-first.html
Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
3K for the kit....1k for shocks...300 front fenders....500 bumper...1.5k wheels/tires
Old 06-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
bottom line is LT and small budget do not go together

there is a hell of a lot more work that goes into properly building a LT truck than bolting on a LT kit, shocks and fenders...

your money will go a lot further if you buy a truck that's already got some work into it

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...linked-dd.html

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/truc...ies/160776.htm

neither are 4WD though...
Old 06-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
If 8k seems like too much then don't do it, especially if you're not ready for the upkeep/maintenance that comes with lt.

And don't be one of those people that dump that much money and work into a new vehicle then has to sell because something happens with finances. Seen that happen a dozen times and you never recoup that money and time.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
diesel tech
AddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud of

i wasnt including the wheels and tires and fenders in the 5k budjet and i know i would need shocks and what not to make it worth it.. i was talking about just the kit being around 5 thats without the fenders wheels and tires. i didnt want to spend 8k on a kit thats what i was saying.. i dont have a problem spending 8 for wheels tires fiber glass and everything else. i will also make my own front bumper.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
diesel tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
3K for the kit....1k for shocks...300 front fenders....500 bumper...1.5k wheels/tires
thanks anthony thats what i was looking for! what kit did you use? and what shocks?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
xA101x is a jewel in the roughxA101x is a jewel in the roughxA101x is a jewel in the rough
Name: AJ
xA101x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
If 8k seems like too much then don't do it, especially if you're not ready for the upkeep/maintenance that comes with lt.
DAMN! Looks like I need to rethink my want for LT on my truck till I save for a bit.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
5k...not gonna happen.

If you do the install yourself and depending on how many corners you cut you can get the front done for 5k. But then you're left with a truck no more capable than you started with and you're out 5 grant. You do however have the option to pull more bro hoes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're going for performance, you'll get way more out of a rear LT and a basic mid travel setup up front than the other way around. You want the rear to outperform the front otherwise the ass of that truck is gonna be bucking like a drunken flustered dyke.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddicTioN View Post
thanks anthony thats what i was looking for! what kit did you use? and what shocks?
Since you want 4x4, don't forget axles ($575).
Also it's important to strengthen the weak points now, rather than fix broken shit later. Coil bucket gussets ($90), spindle gussets ($45), LCA camber gussets ($85), box rear frame ($300).

Again...that's just parts. Hope you know how to weld.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
diesel tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
5k...not gonna happen.

If you do the install yourself and depending on how many corners you cut you can get the front done for 5k. But then you're left with a truck no more capable than you started with and you're out 5 grant. You do however have the option to pull more bro hoes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're going for performance, you'll get way more out of a rear LT and a basic mid travel setup up front than the other way around. You want the rear to outperform the front otherwise the ass of that truck is gonna be bucking like a drunken flustered dyke.
alright haha thanks for the information.. i new to all of this desert running trucks im use to a big 4x4 diesel haha...so im learning this slowly i have someone who is a great fabricator and welder in the family so i aint worried about doing it myself we can do it for sure. but if the the front and rear are guna cost 8k a pice i cant do it haha
Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
The Mad Scientist

The list never ends really.
Every time I think I'm done I break something or find something else to improve on. I can't honestly tell you how much money's been dumped into my truck, but it's more than 4 figures...and I did most the work.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Dude a set amount for LT doesn't exist! Its a money pit to do right! If you half ass it, all your gonna do is break your truck!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #17
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddicTioN View Post
i dont have long travel just spindles, toytec coils and bilsteins
Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
diesel tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
i dont have long travel just spindles, toytec coils and bilsteins
really? how much can you get out for that setup? if you dont mind can you give me details like what company to buy from ect. again im new to the prerunner world. i only know names in the diesel industrie
Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
The Mad Scientist

You can't do lift spindles with 4x4...unless you ditch the 4x4.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
Bandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Bandwagon's Tacoma Gallery
Don't let people talk u out of going lt if u really want it, just know it gets pricey and don't think u have to have everything at once. Read thru a lot of the builds or the lt forum and u will learn a lot. Like others have said know what u want it for and plan accordingly. Right now Im running the 05+ camburg lt kit with spindles so I'm about 5000-5500 in just the front. It I still want to do triples so I need another 1500-2000 for the front to be almost done(never really done). Starting the rear now picked up some fox 16" dbls for 1100 and am deciding on which sua kit to go so anywhere from 1400-2000. Plus building materials yada yada yada. Hope that helps, so u can get a front kit for 5ish but expect to keep spending...