DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Help with rear leaf mounts

Old 07-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
Help with rear leaf mounts

So I have my giant 62" sua kit and I'm having trouble determining where to place the leaf mounts.
My truck is stripped down to the frame and I have cut out a bunch of rusty parts and the old leaf mounts.
Now my problem is that I want to weld on my new leaf mounts but I don't know where to put them.
I can't measure wheelbase or anything because its only a frame.
Can someone help me with some measurements from other points, like the end of the frame or something?
I should be mounting my leafs in the same place as everyone else with the 62" pack so I just need a measurement for one mount then go the magic 52.5" to the other.
Please help or tell me if I'm going about this all wrong.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
I've no experience in a SUA install, so I am venturing to say, if you have no experience under your belt for this, have someone that does install it for you. This is one thing that does require some fab skills, foresight, and experience.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm fairly confident in my fab skills, and I work at a welding shop which is shared with a mechanic, so I have all my bases covered. I called Giant and they said to just match the original wheelbase but I dont have anything on my frame. I'm wondering if theres anywhere else I can measure off of. I dont really want to take my leaf pack apart but I might end up doing that. Also I live in a town in northern BC, where people dont know what long travel is, so I dont want to pay someone to scratch their heads over where to put my leafs.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
52.5" From front spring hanger bolt to the top of the rear shackle bolt if you are running 12" shackle over. This is the magic number for the F67 pack, but you can change the location if you want to raise or lower the ride height.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
AWESOME MEMBER

Sweet. Good to know. I guess I'll take my top leaf out and usethat for axle placement. Seems to be the thing to do.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Say what!?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
AWESOME MEMBER

Well I saw some guys taking their top leaf and mount only the top one on their axles so that they could cycle their suspension and figure out where to mount stuff. But I'm not going to do that anymore I'm going to stick my leafs on my axle and line up the axle with where it should be, because it should be in the same place as stock right? so that it fits in the fenders? in case you didn't notice, I don't know EXACTLY what I'm doing, but I'm pretty close. If I'm saying something stupid, feel free to correct me and say WTF?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Professionull

Do not mount them from the stock front spring hangers. You will destroy your drive shaft when it slips from the trans.

Bolt on your leaf pack to the axle with the front spring hangers loose. Jack up the axle until the front hangers hit the frame. If you measure from the frame cut out rectangle that's typically above the rear tire to the front hanger bolt it should be 29.5" from the outside cut out (closest to the cab) to the center of the bolt. From there you can do the 52.5 set up +/- to adjust ride height.

Taking the leaf pack apart helps set the angle of the shocks to work to perfection. This helps make valving the shocks extremely perfect to how the rear works for the suspension cycle.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
AWESOME MEMBER

Hero^

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks so much, I wanted to weld all my stuff on tomorrow and was worried about the mounts. Sorry about the miscommunication, I ment the axle should be in the same place as it would be running stock leafs. I will weld, or tack if I'm unsure, and post some pics tomorrow. Now that I have nice measurements I feel better. I'll measure my buddy's tacoma and make sure the axle is in the right place, just to double check.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Tack and cycle it. Thats the easiest way to make sure your bumping in the stock position. Sound like you are pretty close, here is where my front and rear hangers are, they are 52.5" apart with F67's and I bump at the stock wheelbase length

Old 07-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
AWESOME MEMBER

Ok so I got one side rigged up. I have the 52.5" center to center of the hanger bolts and the centering pin thingy on the leafs is right under the stock bumpstops. but... I dont know if the shackle angle is ok or not. heres a pic of it sitting with no pressure on the leafs and the shackle angle is 30 degrees off vertical.

thoughts?

looking at the pics above, my front mount looks the same but my shackle hanger is closer to the bed mount then his. eeeerg... hard to tell. the cellphone pic quality is phenomenal.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman117 View Post
Ok so I got one side rigged up. I have the 52.5" center to center of the hanger bolts and the centering pin thingy on the leafs is right under the stock bumpstops. but... I dont know if the shackle angle is ok or not. heres a pic of it sitting with no pressure on the leafs and the shackle angle is 30 degrees off vertical.

thoughts?

looking at the pics above, my front mount looks the same but my shackle hanger is closer to the bed mount then his.
It looks like your a little forward of me but your leafs are a little different. They dont look like they have much arch in them, my shackles around 35* at ride height and at droop without straps they go past 90*

Edit: Here are my leafs at rest

Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
Señor member

Here is the passenger side from the side. My front spring hanger is just behind the front bed mount if you made a line straight down

Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
Señor member

Also one important thing is you can miss the placement of the axle front to back by a half inch or so from stock and it wont matter. The biggest thing is to make sure both sides are the same. I got lucky and lined my rear end up straighter than stock
Old 07-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
AWESOME MEMBER

Hmm. Yeah yours look way more arched than mine. Is that going to affect my ride height a lot? And is there a way to maybe re-arch? I dont want to have too much bro lean
Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #16
D SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Dylan
D SPAID's Tacoma Gallery
Brolean is good my friend
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #17
AWESOME MEMBER

I think I'm just going to rig everything up and then deal with it later. I'll get it rolling again and see how it looks. Does anyone have a bolt to bolt measurement on their leafs?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman117 View Post
Hmm. Yeah yours look way more arched than mine. Is that going to affect my ride height a lot? And is there a way to maybe re-arch? I dont want to have too much bro lean
Yes it will change ride height and yes you can re-arch. As long as everything is straight and bumping in the factory spots I would go ahead and put it together and see how it sits. If you look at mine it at first it was too high until my leafs broke in and I added more weight.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
AWESOME MEMBER

Aight. Thanks all you guys that helped me out, you're super helpful, posting pics and stuff. I have lots of welding to do today and ill post up some pics in my build thread when im done.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
Professionull

If it bumps in the factory location you did something wrong. At bump the axle swings backwards so the stops need to be moved back about an inch or two. This also explains the reason why you mount the limit straps on the back of the axle to the rear of the frame at droop, to slow its forward movement.