DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Solid motor mounts on a DD

Old 07-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Solid motor mounts on a DD

Tolerable? Worth it?

Anyone doing it?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Tolerable? Worth it?

Anyone doing it?
jason (jberry) and JD (CR250jumper) have both recently solid mounted their motor and tranny.

i'm going to be doing mine ASAP. already got the motor mounts, just gonna box in the stock tranny mount like JD did

both of them have said it's a night and day difference in terms of performance. the truck handles so much better when all of the weight of the motor is not flopping around. only at idle is the added vibration really noticeable, and they say it is very noticeable, but tolerable and the perks far out weigh the costs
Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
hmm I've been considering it lately
Old 07-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was out jumping the truck on Saturday and came to the conclusion that I need to do it. That and revalve my coil overs for some more compression.

Any 2nd gens do it yet?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
I was out jumping the truck on Saturday and came to the conclusion that I need to do it. That and revalve my coil overs for some more compression.

Any 2nd gens do it yet?
i think you should be the first, then give me a full review
Old 07-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
desert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan Blagg
desert guy's Tacoma Gallery
My truck has solid motor mounts and tranny mounts. And we have fabbed a couple on my friends gen 1 tacoma's. But these are mainly desert off-road trucks.
I highly recommend it also
Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #7

DMZ's motor mounts look like they might be the ticket. I wonder how much the bushing flexes compared to the stock mounts... might be a good compromise.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
ive make bolt in polyurethane motormounts and trans mounts for the 2nd gen v6 auto's. have a billet version designed just need a decent priced prototype machinist and some real interest .....

ive have a fabricated set on the red TSA race tacoma that has been going strong for 3 racing seasons, 4 years and thousands of race miles.

vibrations arent bad at all , compared to a caged truck. but most of the trucks i built them for are dirt only toys , so no notable difference besides a more rigidly mounted drivetrain. but yes there is a noticeable increase in vibrations in the lower rpm ranges

i say unless your truck is fully caged i wouldent recommend them( or at least a decently built engine/shock tower cage) . too much flex in the stock platform to have rigid mounts. theres been some desert trucks like jeepspeeds that upgrade to solid mounts and end up ripping a section of engine block out. hence my recommendation on having a proper structure
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
jason (jberry) and JD (CR250jumper) have both recently solid mounted their motor and tranny.

i'm going to be doing mine ASAP. already got the motor mounts, just gonna box in the stock tranny mount like JD did

both of them have said it's a night and day difference in terms of performance. the truck handles so much better when all of the weight of the motor is not flopping around. only at idle is the added vibration really noticeable, and they say it is very noticeable, but tolerable and the perks far out weigh the costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defined View Post
i say unless your truck is fully caged i wouldent recommend them( or at least a decently built engine/shock tower cage) . too much flex in the stock platform to have rigid mounts. theres been some desert trucks like jeepspeeds that upgrade to solid mounts and end up ripping a section of engine block out. hence my recommendation on having a proper structure
Good info there, I will def be doing an engine cage soon and full cage in the next year.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
if you like the shake a lot then it's a great idea. I wouldn't do it on a dd, or even a tacoma. It's mostly a high hp, race car kind of thing. I thought about doing stiffer mounts on my s2000 and decided not to after talking with some people who had done it and immediately swaped oem mounts back in.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
if you like the shake a lot then it's a great idea. I wouldn't do it on a dd, or even a tacoma. It's mostly a high hp, race car kind of thing. I thought about doing stiffer mounts on my s2000 and decided not to after talking with some people who had done it and immediately swaped oem mounts back in.
By that definition I must drive a racecar

Given that this was posted in the LT section, an S2000 has zero comparability with the question at hand. When you're bombing through woops at 60+ MPH and you motor mounts fail and drops right onto your front differential putting a hole in the diff and the block, bending or breaking the a/c lines and possibly power steering lines, you might rethink the need for solid mounts.

Yes solid mounts will give you more vibrations, but its only noticeable when you're not moving. And for the record, my Tacoma is my DD. I don't have a very far commute anymore, but its still my DD.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
By that definition I must drive a racecar

Given that this was posted in the LT section, an S2000 has zero comparability with the question at hand. When you're bombing through woops at 60+ MPH and you motor mounts fail and drops right onto your front differential putting a hole in the diff and the block, bending or breaking the a/c lines and possibly power steering lines, you might rethink the need for solid mounts.

Yes solid mounts will give you more vibrations, but its only noticeable when you're not moving. And for the record, my Tacoma is my DD. I don't have a very far commute anymore, but its still my DD.
your slippers are your DD
Old 07-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh and to the OP, if you're worried about vibrations, you can solid mount just one side. I'd suggest the driver's side due to that's where more of the the truck weight is. You'll get some of the the same the benefits of full solid mounts, but without the vibrations. Just put in a brand new passenger isolator in while your at it and change it frequently as all the dampening will be done by that one.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
your slippers are your DD
True, but USPS doesn't deliver to my new house. Fucking snowplows take out the mailboxes. I gotta go to the post office every few days.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #15
TC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TC yota's Tacoma Gallery
Vibrations aren't that bad on a v6, on an inline 4 cylinder they are kind of annoying
Old 07-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #16
taco?
MotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: emt/cal fire
Name: Nate
MotoXdoer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defined View Post
ive make bolt in polyurethane motormounts and trans mounts for the 2nd gen v6 auto's. have a billet version designed just need a decent priced prototype machinist and some real interest .....

ive have a fabricated set on the red TSA race tacoma that has been going strong for 3 racing seasons, 4 years and thousands of race miles.

vibrations arent bad at all , compared to a caged truck. but most of the trucks i built them for are dirt only toys , so no notable difference besides a more rigidly mounted drivetrain. but yes there is a noticeable increase in vibrations in the lower rpm ranges

I have a 06 v6 auto. Im interested in tranny and engine mounts.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXdoer View Post
no problem , call me at 951-217-4947 this week or e-mail me at definedengineering@msn.com and we can get a order started.

-mike
Old 07-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
ColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud of

Name: Cole
ColesDirtyYota's Tacoma Gallery
I did it and love it. Much more solid obviously and better response in rough areas like whoop sections. If ur trucks not apavement princess then do it. Ull just end up smashing the stock ones in like i did. It just vibrates a bit more in the cab, but personally i like that. Feels like a prerunner should. You should get out of the hobby now if ur worried about some vibration in a truck designed for the dezert...
Old 07-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXdoer View Post
Seconded.