Notices

Upper a arm hiem conversion Pros/cons

Old 07-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
nhurt is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Machinery Technician
Name: N8
nhurt's Tacoma Gallery
Upper a arm hiem conversion Pros/cons

I have a 98 5 lug total chaos taquito kit up front with fabtech spindles. I'm thinking about doing a upper a arm hiem conversion vice the poly bushing ends it has on now. Reason being is to adjust my camber. Any pros or cons to doing this???
Old 07-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
TC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TC yota's Tacoma Gallery
Pros-everything
cons-non

Seriously though, it is a great improvement. make sure you solid mount the lowers and you should be set on you're alignment for a while
Old 07-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC yota View Post
Pros-everything
cons-non

Seriously though, it is a great improvement. make sure you solid mount the lowers and you should be set on you're alignment for a while
What do you mean by solid mount?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Motiracer38 is a splendid one to beholdMotiracer38 is a splendid one to beholdMotiracer38 is a splendid one to beholdMotiracer38 is a splendid one to beholdMotiracer38 is a splendid one to beholdMotiracer38 is a splendid one to beholdMotiracer38 is a splendid one to behold

Motiracer38's Tacoma Gallery
Lowers are solid, forget what he said. Weld 4 tabs to the top of the frame, put heims on upper arm, and chase the weak link elsewhere in your truck. I bent 3 crosshafts and ripped out countless bolts before I gave up on the truck. I should have just heimed it.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
whitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
whitetoblack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
What do you mean by solid mount?
Solid mount means there is no camber adjustment by sliding the bolt back and forth i.e. the arm is mounted to one fixed position.

And OP do it. Really no cons to it at all just make sure the arms can be converted and still line up straight. I have seen on the newer tacoma TC kits they require a new upper arm to be made to accept hiems. This is due to the lack of a kink in the arm before the standard bushing ends. I will try to find a pic...

See the difference?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #6

nhurt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motiracer38 View Post
Lowers are solid, forget what he said. Weld 4 tabs to the top of the frame, put heims on upper arm, and chase the weak link elsewhere in your truck. I bent 3 crosshafts and ripped out countless bolts before I gave up on the truck. I should have just heimed it.
You bent those beefy TC cross shafts?! Those things look pretty indestructible. Good call on the "kinked" ends I need to check my arms to see if I would be able to do it still. Even without the kink in wondering if the ability of articulation in the hiem is enough to be able to cycle through the suspension without binding. Has anyone done this to the 98 taquito kit???
Old 07-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Happysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabien
Happysmiley's Tacoma Gallery
It's not so much the angle of the heim as far as binding...

It's when you thread the heims in/out for alignment, the mounting width or spread between heims gets wider or more narrow if the arm tubes are angled and aren't going in perpendicular at the pivot.

You can make it work without the kink but you won't have much adjustablility for alignment
Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #8

nhurt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiley View Post
It's not so much the angle of the heim as far as binding...

It's when you thread the heims in/out for alignment, the mounting width or spread between heims gets wider or more narrow if the arm tubes are angled and aren't going in perpendicular at the pivot.

You can make it work without the kink but you won't have much adjustablility for alignment
Good call!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Happysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabien
Happysmiley's Tacoma Gallery
The angle doesn't look too drastic on the 5 lug kit, you can always leave a gap on both sides between the heim spacers and the frame tabs and run some thicker/thinner washers to give yourself a little more room for adjustment, then just move the washers around as you need. Not perfect but you can make it work.

Don't think there is enough room to sleeve on a bigger diameter tube with a bend and fit the threaded bung + heim in, but if there is thats another way to go.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #10

nhurt's Tacoma Gallery
Bending the arm on one side a few inches back crossed my mind. When I get back home I need to try to map it out and make sure it'll work, I'm sure it will even without modding the arm. Has anyone done this to this kit and year?