DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Fuel Cells- Keeping fuel from Sloshing

Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel Cells- Keeping fuel from Sloshing

OK so I have read on most all the forums the different ways and theories to keep fuel from sloshing. Well TW doesnt have a thread so I wanted to see what you guys have found.

Installed a fuel cell this weekend so now I am at this point, how to I baffle it?

What are you guys doing?

Common Foam? (What type? Breakdown experience?)

Wiffle Balls? (Brands that your using and how this works?)

Something Different? (Maybe Drilled out PVC, Custom Baffles, etc)

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
What brand do you have???. Most fuel cell companies supply the foam for their cells. I'm surprised it didn't come with it. Also make sure you use the correct foam for application. The wrong foam will fall apart and cause major issues in your fuel system. Definitely a very PITA situation. Check the manufacture of the cell....
Old 07-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
What brand do you have???. Most fuel cell companies supply the foam for their cells. I'm surprised it didn't come with it. Also make sure you use the correct foam for application. The wrong foam will fall apart and cause major issues in your fuel system. Definitely a very PITA situation. Check the manufacture of the cell....
Yeah no foam with my cell. I am hearing the Fuel Safe foam is best, definitly will be going with the best if this is route I choose (hence reason for thread). I am running a filter pre-pump to help with this should I go foam (or just for whatever really) as well.

Also hear that the additives of CA gas is what causes a lot of the issues with foam breaking down. For this reason really interested in the CA guys experience with foam brands and what octane fuel they run.

Was wondering about the baffling experience folks have had with PVC pipe or Wiffle Balls as these seem a more stable substance in Gas and also possibly in Ethanol which interests me as ive looked at E85 conversions.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
There is a company that makes foam for mx bike fuel tanks that is very effective. I think u can buy it in whatever size u need. I think u lose 2% capacity.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Yeah no foam with my cell. I am hearing the Fuel Safe foam is best, definitly will be going with the best if this is route I choose (hence reason for thread). I am running a filter pre-pump to help with this should I go foam (or just for whatever really) as well.

Also hear that the additives of CA gas is what causes a lot of the issues with foam breaking down. For this reason really interested in the CA guys experience with foam brands and what octane fuel they run.

Was wondering about the baffling experience folks have had with PVC pipe or Wiffle Balls as these seem a more stable substance in Gas and also possibly in Ethanol which interests me as ive looked at E85 conversions.
Unfortunately I can't shed much help for you. I've only delt with race fuel in the cells. I'm sure if you end up with foam a quick call to someone. (ie fuel safe etc) will get you squared away. Good luck and post your findings so others can have that info for later referral..
Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
I don't really notice the fuel sloshing around much on my truck. I don't have anything in there right now either. When it get's low on gas that's when the pick up will cut out every once in a while and a baffle would be nice. Eventually I am going to go with wiffle balls because I have put them to a test and they show no sign of aging.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Duck Killing Machine

Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
That is what I am experiencing as well Alex. Yesterday while taking a on ramp loop that was fairly steep, long and sharp the fuel shifted and sucked air. Had to pull off and run motor for a few minutes to get it all going the way it should again.

Interested to hear your experience with the wiffle balls. I am currently considering the PVC sections drilled out and stacked. Seems like the cheapest option as wiffle balls add up fast. This or the old Foam, just dont want to deal with clogging stuff as it breaks down.

Thanks for your input Alex, was hoping youd be one of the guys to chime in.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Landon
Supermoto's Tacoma Gallery
wiffle balls all the way. don't do foam it always breaks down eventually
Old 07-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Duck Killing Machine

Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
Any suggestions on ball brands that you guys have tested/used? And they really work well to keep fuel from surging then too?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
TC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TC yota's Tacoma Gallery
I used the blue foam from jaz, only had a few pieces found in my pre-filter in over two years, not bad if you ask me
Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
Duck Killing Machine

Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC yota View Post
I used the blue foam from jaz, only had a few pieces found in my pre-filter in over two years, not bad if you ask me
Interesting to hear. Havnt heard a lot of good about Jaz. Seems everybody favors the Fuel Safe foam.

Thanks for input! Ill keep that one in mind if I go Foam.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Wiffle balls? Golf or baseball? lol
Old 07-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
I am hesitant to use wiffle balls because I'm unsure how much fuel displacement there will be. It will be a shame to have to get a 32gal in order to obtain 22gal of fuel.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
TC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TC yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Interesting to hear. Havnt heard a lot of good about Jaz. Seems everybody favors the Fuel Safe foam.

Thanks for input! Ill keep that one in mind if I go Foam.
Yeah that's what I've heard, but Mine has worked good!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
Duck Killing Machine

Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
I am hesitant to use wiffle balls because I'm unsure how much fuel displacement there will be. It will be a shame to have to get a 32gal in order to obtain 22gal of fuel.
A lot of guys are saying it only displaces a few gallons in a 30 gallon cell. I guess if you really wanted to you could do the math of crush/melt one and take the volume of that and multiply by number of balls needed. Also Baseball sized would displace less than golf ball.

I cant imagine they would displace much more than foam. While the density of the initial material is harder it is also far less.

I am kinda thinking about trying the drilled PVC Tube. It really shouldnt take that much 2 or 3" PVC to fill tank and the large diameter should help with above displacement worry. This or some high quality foam. Fact is itll probably take 20.00 in PVC so if it doesnt work well no big deal. Foam and balls however are much bigger money.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Landon
Supermoto's Tacoma Gallery
In a 32 gallon cell they take up just over a gallon. That's the baseball sized ones
Old 07-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #17
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Try cutting baffles from scrap fuel tanks or some kind of fuel resistant plastic. Cut them to fit width ways inside the tank, then drill big holes in the baffles to allow fuel flow, and cut half circels at the bottom to allow full emptying of the tank. Seal them in place inside the tank with JB weld or something that wont break down from the fuel. I have seen baffles installed in boat fuel tanks to prevent sloshing. Might be an option if you dont dig the wiffle ball thing and dont mind doing fab work. Just an idea. Heres a fucking sweet drawing in case anybody is wondering what the hell i am talking about.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #19

TC yota's Tacoma Gallery
smog and they arent DOT approved, if you're smart/lucky you can get around the smog part, but a cop can still bust you
Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC yota View Post
smog and they arent DOT approved, if you're smart/lucky you can get around the smog part, but a cop can still bust you
isnt it as long as your using the stock filler tube you can usually get away with it?