Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Buying used long travel

Old 09-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
sneumeyer is on a distinguished road

Name: Skyler
sneumeyer's Tacoma Gallery
Buying used long travel

I'm looking at buying another Tacoma and making this one into a long travel daily driver. I'm new to long travel suspensions and was wondering about going the route of buying this truck I saw on Craigslist that already has a Total Chaos kit on front. http://wyoming.craigslist.org/cto/3202896085.html Do any of the more experienced long travelers see any issues with this setup. I don't know about the stock rear suspension w/lift and LT front. I'm not looking for anything really high performance and it would be my daily driver. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Secret Squirell, Contract Completed
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneumeyer View Post
I'm looking at buying another Tacoma and making this one into a long travel daily driver. I'm new to long travel suspensions and was wondering about going the route of buying this truck I saw on Craigslist that already has a Total Chaos kit on front. Do any of the more experienced long travelers see any issues with this setup. I don't know about the stock rear suspension w/lift and LT front. I'm not looking for anything really high performance and it would be my daily driver. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I do not have long travel.

But, I will say this. I dont see a problem with the price, or milage. I will say the back you need to have the owner clarify wat type of 6 in lift is on the back. Also, all of you shocks need to be recharged. As well, i would advise that you need different shocks in the back. I havent heard of any "true" long travel set ups that use factory shocks. Good Luck OP
Old 09-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
ColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud ofColesDirtyYota has much to be proud of

Name: Cole
ColesDirtyYota's Tacoma Gallery
he's asking too much first off... and the front is cranked up bro high in the sky. His control arms are cranked almost vertically down which means he has no down travel and so it will ride/ perform shitty. you want your upper and lower arms almost dead center to have even up and down travel. regardless if u wanna use the truck to its potential u cant build half of it.. If you wanna screw around and have fun get a truck with a bolt on LT kit like that one but at a appropriate ride height and just put 2.5" bolt in rear shocks or leaf under and a basic bed cage so u can have larger shocks yet retain the full use of the bed. it just depends on how much u feel like putting into it. but u can easily have a bolt on kit on a dd truck and a simple bedcage that only has shock hoops up in the corners of your bed so u can still use it. lots of people do this
Old 09-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHAWK250 View Post
he's asking too much first off... and the front is cranked up bro high in the sky. His control arms are cranked almost vertically down which means he has no down travel and so it will ride/ perform shitty. you want your upper and lower arms almost dead center to have even up and down travel. regardless if u wanna use the truck to its potential u cant build half of it.. If you wanna screw around and have fun get a truck with a bolt on LT kit like that one but at a appropriate ride height and just put 2.5" bolt in rear shocks or leaf under and a basic bed cage so u can have larger shocks yet retain the full use of the bed. it just depends on how much u feel like putting into it. but u can easily have a bolt on kit on a dd truck and a simple bedcage that only has shock hoops up in the corners of your bed so u can still use it. lots of people do this
That's what I was looking for. I'm gonna pass on this one. I think I'll wait and just do what you said and put a bolt on kit on the next Tacoma I buy.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
buying a tacoma thats already long traveled will save you sooooo much money.. just sayin
Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's what I was looking for. I'm gonna pass on this one. I think I'll wait and just do what you said and put a bolt on kit on the next Tacoma I buy.
Buy an old one or even a pre tacoma. Dont waste money on tearing apart a brand new truck
Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
Buy an old one or even a pre tacoma. Dont waste money on tearing apart a brand new truck
X2 or get a salvage title to save money and do it that way. definitely will save you moolah!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
i know of a red 1st gen that the owner would be willing to part ways with...
Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
That's another option I've been considering. Instead of mildly LTing my daily driver just get something lower end and going all out. The main reason I was looking at getting a truck that was already LT'd was to save money, I'm 17 and in school so I'm a little hesitant on spending a ton of my money on a truck that would be my DD.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's another option I've been considering. Instead of mildly LTing my daily driver just get something lower end and going all out. The main reason I was looking at getting a truck that was already LT'd was to save money, I'm 17 and in school so I'm a little hesitant on spending a ton of my money on a truck that would be my DD.
I hear you, I dont have enough money to have 2 vehicles right now either. The tacoma will be retired as the daily driver soon though
Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
buying a tacoma thats already long traveled will save you sooooo much money.. just sayin
Yes, but be prepared to inherit gremlins, especially for someone like the OP who is new to the scene and could easily miss things when looking at the truck.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Yes, but be prepared to inherit gremlins, especially for someone like the OP who is new to the scene and could easily miss things when looking at the truck.
And it's 350 miles away so I don't wanna go all the way there and there be a likely chance something is wrong and have to turn around a come home.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
If you dont have the cash to buy an LT rig outright go for a cheaper used truck and add a little here and there. If you want a full LT rig seriously look into a salvage title vehicle with a good frame or get one with a fucked up frame from a rear end accident and back half it. If I were to do it gain I would have bought a salvage title truck.