DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Siping & Grooving tires **PICS**

Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
There's a reason the shoulders are not siped as deep as the centersection.
Excessive siping on the shoulders = chunking tires. I've hand siped two sets of mud tires for my winter recreational activities. I've only siped the inside lugs, never the outside lugs. Think about it. When you turn at highway speeds, where's the pressure go to on the tires? Get those tires hot and on dry pavement and you'll have chunks of rubber flying all over the place.

For the love of god, if you're going to hand sipe/groove tires, BUY A TIRE GROOVER. They are 60 bucks. If you do chose to use a dremel, make sure to take video.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #22
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
It didn't cross my mind that I can melt the rubber with a Dremel. Maybe I'll just use an angle grinder.

Why do you think they're the worst AT tire you guys carry? I know they don't have the big name like BFG, GY, General, etc. but from everything I've read and seen they seem to be a pretty good tire. My only concern is long term wear and tear.
oh my....

and this. VVV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABregenzer View Post
I'm in the same boat as Silas over there. It's one of the worst AT tire's we have IMHO. The lack of full depth siping for one thing. From working at discount in Texas, I've seen quite a few different AT tires. If you look at almost all the other AT tires, even when they wear down, they still are able to get traction because of the siping and tread pattern. With those Rocky Mountains, once they get past about 8/32's you get 5 long blocks with no depth to them.

Another thing, rubber compound. There's a reason Michelin and BFG and Goodyear are high up there. The rubber compound they have come up with is better than Falken's. Not saying all falken's are bad. But for the most part, the other's are better.

And just letting you know, a cut off wheel would be your best bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Excessive siping on the shoulders = chunking tires. I've hand siped two sets of mud tires for my winter recreational activities. I've only siped the inside lugs, never the outside lugs. Think about it. When you turn at highway speeds, where's the pressure go to on the tires? Get those tires hot and on dry pavement and you'll have chunks of rubber flying all over the place.

For the love of god, if you're going to hand sipe/groove tires, BUY A TIRE GROOVER. They are 60 bucks. If you do chose to use a dremel, make sure to take video.
I agree. But Falken siping (and almost every other tire besides Michilen) doesn't even go all the way through the tread block. And we're not saying to sipe the outside lugs, (because, you're right, it can cause chunking) but it's probably a good idea to groove them. (Inside and outside lugs) And yes, use the correct tool! The key things you need are HEAT and SHARP blades.

Also, those pictures of the grooved Rocky Mountains/Wild Peaks are awesome! Finally some decent Falken All Terrains!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #23
YotaYota is on a distinguished road
YotaYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post

See there was some thought going into the Rocky Mountains haha honstly ive had no issues with them... And if you de-flate them on tricky trails theyre even better but ive only done this once cause 4 low works so well, the fronts i have at 38 psi and rear at 35 psi. In winter i lower them to 35 psi and 32 psi
Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
StatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud of

Name: Joey
StatutoryAPE's Tacoma Gallery
I have these falkens on my 1st gen and i really like them. Ive put 25k on them so far and they are still wearing smoothly with regular rotations and checking psi
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
I was at the Off Road Expo today and saw this Jeep with the tires I've been talking about. I guess both him and I had the same idea cause his tires are nicely grooved, though I'm sure he didn't use a Dremel. That grooving completely changes the look and I'm assuming the performance of those tires.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #26
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
find out whos jeep it is and ask him who grooved his tires? i have the rocky mountains on my 4runner and i <3 them.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #27
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
find out whos jeep it is and ask him who grooved his tires? i have the rocky mountains on my 4runner and i <3 them.
I tried looking for the owner but he wasn't around. It was at the off road expo. However, if I can find a full picture of the Jeep online I can ask around to see who it belongs to and go from there.