DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Siping & Grooving tires **PICS**

Old 09-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Siping & Grooving tires **PICS**

I just came across a set Falken Rocky Mountain AT tires. From all the reviews and videos I've seen they are a pretty good tire. However, I have one issue with them.
If you look at the center tread depth versus the shoulder tread depth youíll notice that the shoulder tread depth isnít as deep as the center. Therefore, as the tire starts to wear it will look more like a traditional street tire versus and AT tire. BFG ATís have full tread depth through out the entire tire which makes sense.

My solution to this would be a sipe/groove out the shoulder to make it match the center tread depth. If you look at the pictures below youíll see what Iím talking about. Since LT guys tend to sipe/groove their tires more than non LT guys I figured I would post this in the section so guys with experience can chime in.

Moreover, instead of buying a tire groover or tire siper I was thinking of using a Dremel with a grinding wheel to achieve this. It sounds like a redneck idea but I think it would work. Any suggestions?

In this picture you can see the center is deaper than the should tread.

Another angle of the tread depths

Worn tires look like street tires
Old 09-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about the siping but I had these tires and only got 10,000 miles out of the 2 that I didnt tear up... I punctured the side wall on one and melted the 2nd... The other 2 were really close to the wear marks at 10K...
Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
Tire manufacturers spend a lot of money designing their tire to do a certain thing. I think it's best to find the tire that does the thing you want it to do. Attacking a tire with a dremel does not sound like a great idea to me, and is possibly unsafe.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Damn 10K? They have a 50k warranty. How did you melt one? Unfortunately they haven't been around long enough for long term testing.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #6

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler View Post
these tires sound like garbage
Have you read or seen any reviews on them? Are you familar with siping or grooving? If not, then your opinion isn't really appreciated.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Banned
ruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ruler's Tacoma Gallery
Well I actually did some research and looked in to these when I was considering some AT's but a majority of reviews I read said that these tires wear fast and don't last very long. And I dont think siping even matters when these tires wear out faster then a TJ prostitute..

And as far as the siping goes, yeah they work great when there's some tread left but after two rotations these things look like they belong on a rice rocket..

Not trynna shit on your parade so if you dont believe me I guess we can let the reviews speak for themself..

http://www.discounttire.com/storeRev...17&rbqs.cs=265

" A very stiff tire causing my truck to bounce with a slight vibration. The tire I had on before ran very smooth. I regret buying the tires. "

"idk how the front tires wore so fast."

" Tire Cons the front almost need replaced?????"

"Constantly had to correct steering, tires wandered all over the road. Took the tires back after about 500 miles."

"I think this would be an awesome tire if the sidewall was stronger. I am being carefull on these tires and will be utilizing the 30 day satisfaction garauntee that Discount Tire provides. Go with Discount Tire, but if you have a heavy truck, I would suggest another tire"

"I have not used the tires under winter conditions yet. I am very disappointed in the ride that I have received so far when no load is on the truck, no weight might be the contributing factor but will say they have better traction in the few wet conditions that I have experienced so far"

"I have had them rotated twice and they still seem to wear quickly."

"I even tried to return the tires a couple days later cause they make the jeep feel like the steering is loose, it tracks on grooves in the road and on slopes. I would not recommend these to anyone"

"Between 40-50 mph, the car has a vibration to it"

sorry but so far these tires sound like they are POS !
Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #8

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
IDK how the fuck this turned into a tire review. I've read all the reviews and you posted 9 bad reviews over all the other good reviews. I'm not debating they may not be the best tire because that is something I'll have to see for myself. If they wear out within 20k miles then I'll agree they are not a great tire. Do your Toyo's have a 100% positive reviews? I doubt it. I've owned Toyo MT's as well and I loved them. They are super stiff but extremely durable. Unfortunately they didn't last as long as advertised either but they did get more than 10k.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Banned
ruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ruler's Tacoma Gallery
yeah not trying to start a pissing contest, honestly I loved the Toyo's the have lasted longer then any other tire I have owned but they are super heavy and they don't do so well in the snow. (siping sucks)

With that said my new pair of tires will probably some AT's, i was looking at these cause of the price but reviews weren't so promising.. Think I will go with either BFG AT's or Hankook. Don't get Nitto Terra Crapplers either they wear almost as fast as the Falkens
Old 09-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion, don't waste your time siping them. You sipe tires so they perform better in the wet and snow. Tires that worn are going to suck in foul weather, just slow down, wear your last few thousand miles out of them and toss 'em. Also, don't use a dremel, use a knife if you really feel the need. The high speed dremel will just melt the rubber and it's not strong enough to cut at slow speeds. A rotary tool would be a good option but it needs to be a slow speed tool.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
‹ber Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't use a dremel since there are several things that could go wrong. (Slipping and accidently grooving the sidewall for one!! ) Also, I think it would make rougher cuts in the rubber (rather than a conventional grooving/siping tool) that could leave the possibility for future deterioration from the stress put on the rubbber.

I would definately groove and maybe sipe (with the proper tools) those falkens since they do have one of the most retarded wear bars I've ever seen on an all-terrain tire.

PS I work for Discount Tire, and imho those are the worst quality all-terrain tires we carry. Take it fwiw...
Old 09-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
Fish
ABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ABregenzer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
I wouldn't use a dremel since there are several things that could go wrong. (Slipping and accidently grooving the sidewall for one!! ) Also, I think it would make rougher cuts in the rubber (rather than a conventional grooving/siping tool) that could leave the possibility for future deterioration from the stress put on the rubbber.

I would definately groove and maybe sipe (with the proper tools) those falkens since they do have one of the most retarded wear bars I've ever seen on an all-terrain tire.

PS I work for Discount Tire, and imho those are the worst quality all-terrain tires we carry. Take it fwiw...
What he said.

DISCOUNT TIRE EMPLOYEES FTW!

Using a dremel to sipe a tire isn't the best idea. But from what I read, it looks like you know that.

if anything, use a heated knife. But be careful not to cut too deep into the tread.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Davidd is just really niceDavidd is just really niceDavidd is just really niceDavidd is just really niceDavidd is just really nice

Name: David
Davidd's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking for aesthetics then get a tire that has the look you want. You will waste time and potentially ruin the tire if not done right.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #14

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It didn't cross my mind that I can melt the rubber with a Dremel. Maybe I'll just use an angle grinder.

Quote:
Why do you think they're the worst AT tire you guys carry? I know they don't have the big name like BFG, GY, General, etc. but from everything I've read and seen they seem to be a pretty good tire. My only concern is long term wear and tear.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
Fish
ABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
It didn't cross my mind that I can melt the rubber with a Dremel. Maybe I'll just use an angle grinder.

Why do you think they're the worst AT tire you guys carry? I know they don't have the big name like BFG, GY, General, etc. but from everything I've read and seen they seem to be a pretty good tire. My only concern is long term wear and tear.
I'm in the same boat as Silas over there. It's one of the worst AT tire's we have IMHO. The lack of full depth siping for one thing. From working at discount in Texas, I've seen quite a few different AT tires. If you look at almost all the other AT tires, even when they wear down, they still are able to get traction because of the siping and tread pattern. With those Rocky Mountains, once they get past about 8/32's you get 5 long blocks with no depth to them.

Another thing, rubber compound. There's a reason Michelin and BFG and Goodyear are high up there. The rubber compound they have come up with is better than Falken's. Not saying all falken's are bad. But for the most part, the other's are better.

And just letting you know, a cut off wheel would be your best bet
Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #16

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABregenzer View Post
I'm in the same boat as Silas over there. It's one of the worst AT tire's we have IMHO. The lack of full depth siping for one thing. From working at discount in Texas, I've seen quite a few different AT tires. If you look at almost all the other AT tires, even when they wear down, they still are able to get traction because of the siping and tread pattern. With those Rocky Mountains, once they get past about 8/32's you get 5 long blocks with no depth to them.
Which is why I suggested siping or grooving.

In this picture we can see the end result. Regardless, we'll see how I do with them.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
Which is why I suggested siping or grooving.

In this picture we can see the end result. Regardless, we'll see how I do with them.
Like Silas said, if you're going to get close to the shoulder with that thing you'll be using, be very very VERY careful you don't damage the shoulder or sidewall of the tire.

Post up pics when you've finished!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
YotaYota is on a distinguished road
YotaYota's Tacoma Gallery
I personaly have experience with these tires... AND COULDNT BE HAPPPIER!!

1st. I got 285/75/16 for $160.00 a tire where as BFG km 2 285/75/16 were closer to $285.00..

2nd.. Great on road/high way driving, given i dont ever go over 80 mph

3rd.. Aggresive enough for most offroading. I've done everything from 10" of mud for 2 miles to 20"s of snow to dry trail riding with small and large rocks

4th... 50k mile warranty

6th.... as of right now with roughly 9000 miles on them they still look brand new and very little tread is gone, i rotate mine every 6000 miles
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #19
YotaYota is on a distinguished road
YotaYota's Tacoma Gallery
And once they get worn down, like that pic above, ill either sell them or get them sipped... either way i see getting atleat another 20,000 miles before i get to that point
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #20

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaYota View Post
I personaly have experience with these tires... AND COULDNT BE HAPPPIER!!

1st. I got 285/75/16 for $160.00 a tire where as BFG km 2 285/75/16 were closer to $285.00..

2nd.. Great on road/high way driving, given i dont ever go over 80 mph

3rd.. Aggresive enough for most offroading. I've done everything from 10" of mud for 2 miles to 20"s of snow to dry trail riding with small and large rocks

4th... 50k mile warranty

6th.... as of right now with roughly 9000 miles on them they still look brand new and very little tread is gone, i rotate mine every 6000 miles
Good to hear. I also have the 285/16's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TEuvYwZxUs

This is the Falken Rocky Mountain/Wild Peak tire that was used by Andrew Hoit, Falken VP during King of the Hammers this year. Obviously it's grooved which is necessary for that terrain.

A different Wildpeak used by the winner of the Every Man Challenge at King of the Hammers. These are DOT approved tires.