DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Opinions on an exo cage

Old 11-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
silver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
silver taco's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions on an exo cage

I may end up getting a cage for my truck down the line. Besides appearance would I be sacrificing anything by going this route? Im figuring this would also require less labor, resulting in a lower price.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
it would make it a pain in the ass to tie into the body unless you have no problem welding to the outside sheet metal..

i feel it would also allow for a annoying whistling sound as the air passes around it.

if you are worried about cost, run 1.5" tubing, with proper design it would be strong enough, saves weight and money. and you could tuck it into the interior a good bit and hide alot of it.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, unless you majorly violate the cab an exo cage will not be as strong as an internal cage because you can't triangulate like you would internally.

Generally exo cage = rock crawler (where you are more likely to roll but it is also going to be a low speed flop) and internal cage = go fast vehicle, where you are less likely to roll but when you do it is more likely to be catastrophic.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
silver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
silver taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses.
Chase, I kind of had the same reasoning, but wasn't sure as outside of the forums, I have no one to bounce these questions off of. It all makes sense, I can't think exo cage without thinking rock crawler, and I have yet to see a prerunner with one. I was thinking maybe if I gave up opening the access cab doors for more triangulation, it may work. I guess I'll just end up getting an internal cage when the time comes.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver taco View Post
Thanks for the responses.
Chase, I kind of had the same reasoning, but wasn't sure as outside of the forums, I have no one to bounce these questions off of. It all makes sense, I can't think exo cage without thinking rock crawler, and I have yet to see a prerunner with one. I was thinking maybe if I gave up opening the access cab doors for more triangulation, it may work. I guess I'll just end up getting an internal cage when the time comes.
Your thinking triagles in just one direction, it has to go in all directions. He meant violating the cab to insert tubes through it, otherwise you just have cab hoops. These are the tubes he is talking about that are needed, they would be going through the cab to connect the "hoops"

Old 11-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
Your thinking triagles in just one direction, it has to go in all directions. He meant violating the cab to insert tubes through it, otherwise you just have cab hoops. These are the tubes he is talking about that are needed, they would be going through the cab to connect the "hoops"

if you want to save space, you can put that asterisks tucked in the rear:
Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
pklintworth is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
pklintworth's Tacoma Gallery
Hey i have an 02 taco single cab and am looking at putting a role cage in i found a guy on craigslist that said he would do it for $350 but i highly doubt thats legit I was wondering if anyone knows about how much a role cage would cost for a single cab
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
whitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
whitetoblack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pklintworth View Post
Hey i have an 02 taco single cab and am looking at putting a role cage in i found a guy on craigslist that said he would do it for $350 but i highly doubt thats legit I was wondering if anyone knows about how much a role cage would cost for a single cab
No. Just in materials to do it correctly you are looking at about $500 minimum plus the labor. You are looking in the wrong place for a cage. Look for offroad fabrication companies on this site and dezertrangers.com. Most of the time stay away from craigslist guys for fabrication.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
pklintworth is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
pklintworth's Tacoma Gallery
oh ok cool thanks hey i also was wondering about raceing seats i just bought some raceing seats for my truck and was trying to get the seat brackets made but one of the fabricators i was talking to said he wouldent make the seat brackets for me unless my truck was caged is it best to have it caged before i put the seats in or does it even matter
Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
whitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
whitetoblack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pklintworth View Post
oh ok cool thanks hey i also was wondering about raceing seats i just bought some raceing seats for my truck and was trying to get the seat brackets made but one of the fabricators i was talking to said he wouldent make the seat brackets for me unless my truck was caged is it best to have it caged before i put the seats in or does it even matter
It is not the seats that are the issue it is if you run the harnesses it is dangerous. They keep you stuck in the upward position which can be fatal in a rollover where the roof collapses. If you put the seats in and still use the stock seatbelts you are fine.