1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2WD guetto build... Need inputs of the pros

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by Dick4x4, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dec 9, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    Dick4x4

Dick4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 2.7 Auto
    Hi folks!

I post in the long travel section because I think you are more confortable with the fiberglass products and tire/lift 2WD combo.

What about a 2WD first gen, single cab short box with a 2.7L manual, engine management and big enough turbo to be in the 250hp range. Sport seat and roll cage. E-lock... which gear? 4.10, 4.88... no clue!

Stock lift or close to it with 12.5 wide on the rear... 33" or 35" tall still to figure on 10" wheels and narrow tire up front like 10.5 on 7" wheels.

Truck bed would be replaced by few bracing and fiberglass sides to allow tires to travel inward side flares. Front would sport high and wide fiberglass flare...

Should I go for a prerunner to have the 6 lugs pattern or 5 lugs should do the job? I want to keep the thing as light as possible. The stock ride height is to allow same upward and downward travel.

I tried to find some pictures of that kind of set-up on google but always end to find lifted second gen.
    I don't expect to take big jump we don't have dunes around... It's gonna be more for sand/gravel rallye cross racing. The kind of things that some folks do in subarus...

2. Dec 9, 2012 at 11:28 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I have no idea what guetto means, I'm thinking either a misspelling of ghetto or it's some related to Jersey Shore. But I'm pretty sure I understand where you're going with the build.

1. With the tire sizes you want to run and the engine size you have to work with I'd go with 4.88's, maybe even higher (if your differentials can fit them, I don't know) because it sounds like you will be spending more time accelerating hard out of turns than trying to cruise at high speed.

2. You sure 10'' wheels are going to clear your brake drums / brake calipers?

3. 5 or 6 lug is going to be more about powerplant than anything else to me - the five lug is fine structurally for want you want to do. I would consider the 6 lug to have the V6 option. No replacement for displacement and all that.

4. You are tracking that skinny tires at stock track width up front is going to look very "empty" under fiberglass up front, right? Even normal width 33's up front looks funny up front to most people, since the track width of the wheels won't match the width of the fiberglass.

3. Dec 9, 2012 at 11:30 PM
    DIRT YOTA

DIRT YOTA Aka EL ROJO

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Camarillo, CA
    Vehicle:
    03' dbl cab with some stuff
  4. Dec 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Dick4x4

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 2.7 Auto
    Haha very funny... it's ghetto, I'm french first so it happens that I invent some words! I took that expression out of a random forum.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

1. For the gearing I'd like to stick with some stock Toyota components. I know that even 4.88 could be hard to find and I don't know if they were available with the e-locker option. You're right on the fact that I'm gonna be more in the 0-70mph range more than in the 50-100mph range... But I think if I wanna use the turbo spool at it's capacity, I should let it some space to work, too short ratio and you have to shift when power just coming to live.

2. 10" would be the wheel widith. I expect 15" diameter wheel for the rear. Wheels and tires of that size are everywhere at relatively cheap price. A good offset should place the tire at nice places.

3. Thanks for that, I really want to go with the 3RZ, I love these motors and heard I can take lots of HPs from them. Big turbo setup is really appealing me for that project. I was thinking the 6 lugs could be more enviable to switch to tundra brake up front. I was also concern about stock suspension height. Do they have the same suspension travel design from the factory?

4. I think about theses pizza cutter size to keep the steering light. But maybe 8" widith wheels could be more appropriated. Do wheel spacers are safe to use? Exemple, with 3.75 BS wheels and 2" spacers. Only those two things together could widen the front track close to 3" each side.

Because I don't know a lot about bigerglass, maybe I don't need them that huge to fit my setup. Bet thing would be to make the wheel, tire and suspension setup then measure the whole thing and get some fiberglass that match.

5. Dec 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    noSKills858

noSKills858 battlescars

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Poway, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5-lug Prerunner
    Couple shocks, some old tires, and a bad paint job
    I think you have 5 and 6 lug confused. If you have the 3rz you have the 6-lug prerunner model which doesn't come with a manual transmission. The 2rz is the 2.4L that can handle high boost on stock internals and comes with the manual or auto trans.

As far as wheels go, if you're just going for the look and only care about cosmetics then a 33 or 35 x 12.5 r17x8 is what you want. Only problem with doing the 35's is clearance issues in the front because unlike long travel, your wheel base isnt extended in the front allowing for clearance of larger tires.

As much as I hate to say this; if you're going for the look and not the performance, wheel spacers are your cheapest route to go, but don't say I didn't warn you when they put a lot of stress on the wheel bearings which cause premature failure. And when that failure occurs, be ready to buy a whole lot of new parts.

6. Dec 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    Dick4x4

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 2.7 Auto
    You're right, I tough the 3RZ coupled with the manual trans was available in both 2WD normal 5lugs and in prerunner 6lugs models. I'm gonna have one time more to accomodate with what Toyota deceided we have to deal with. I could swap it, but I want to keep on a budget... I'll see later if it blows.

I wonder how an automatic transmission would behave for that kind of project. Keeping the throttle wide open would help for long powerslide drift and also to help keeping the boost in high numbers. Realease of the gas pedal between shift make the blowoff open and have to rebuild boost for the next gear each time. I could power shift it, but in the long run it's pretty hard on the tranny... But I wonder what is harder, power shifting a manual tranny or forcing a stock automatic transmission to cope with 250hp.

I understand what you mean with the front bearing premature fail. I think I can live with it. I will have to inspect it otfen to make sure they don't become lose.

For the 35" inch front, do you know if they clear with proper fiberglass flare or if it's a more important issue?

7. Dec 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    noSKills858

noSKills858 battlescars

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Poway, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5-lug Prerunner
    I've seen a lot of 2rz's with stage II clutches handle 300hp to the wheels no problem. I wouldn't suggest having an auto trans just because of how much more complicated they are. There's a lot more moving parts and with that you loose a lot of hp to the wheels at the same time.

I hope you realize doing a turbo setup isn't a walk in the park, you're going to be putting a lot of money into a well tuned setup even if you know the right person.

The fiberglass will clear, your core support and firewall will be hurting. Running 35's on a 5-lug? Forget it, unless you have a 6" body lift and 6" suspension lift, and by that time after all the regearing, your rack and pinion will explode.

8. Dec 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    Dick4x4

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 2.7 Auto

Thanks a lot for the info. I know good about turbos. I was in the way to do one on my 4x4 Taco but I want to keep it more stock motorwise as I use it to travel quite far in the woods and to work.

The 2WD projet will be really for fun purposes that gives me more options. I will think to all the possibilities about 5 or 6 lugs, engines and transmission.

thanks all

9. Dec 21, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    noSKills858

noSKills858 battlescars

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Poway, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5-lug Prerunner
    Sorry Dick, I was wrong about the 3rz and manual transmissions. In the States they did not offer it but I did some research and found that in other country's they offered a manual transmission for the 3RZ, my apologies.

Products Discussed in

To Top