DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Fiberglass paint? DIIY or take it to a shop?

View Poll Results: Fiberglass fender paint?
DIY, Paint yourself 14 56.00%
Paint shop 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Swab
LBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant future

Name: Winter
LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Fiberglass paint? DIIY or take it to a shop?

I'll be getting my fenders shortly, i refuse to rock the white fender look. My question is, paint em myself, or take them to a paint shop. Most likely Earl Shibe or something like that. Not lookin to spend a lot, but I want it to look good. I realize you get what you pay for, just lookin for opinions.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Davidd is just really niceDavidd is just really niceDavidd is just really niceDavidd is just really niceDavidd is just really nice

Name: David
Davidd's Tacoma Gallery
You did it all wrong... next time own a white truck and call it a day

But in reality, i have seen many members on here paint their own with great results. If you do it your self, it will not hurt as much when you scratch it when wheeling.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
do it yourself. i made the mistake of getting mine painted, and then 2 weeks later when this happened i was pretty mad about pissing money down the drain

Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Swab
LBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant future

LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I hear ya on the white truck! It really is the best color.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
Davidd is just really niceDavidd is just really niceDavidd is just really niceDavidd is just really niceDavidd is just really nice

Name: David
Davidd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
do it yourself. i made the mistake of getting mine painted, and then 2 weeks later when this happened i was pretty mad about pissing money down the drain

Lower ball joint failure?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
diy
Old 12-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
Lower ball joint failure?
just the 4 bolts... not the actual ball joint itself
Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
As they have said . If you off road DIY.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
Swab

LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
But really OP, do it yourself
Heres mine, same color as you. I rattle canned the fenders and bedsides. They aren't perfect because I dont care but, if you wet sand/clear coat them im sure they can come out really nice...best of all it costed around $30 bucks for everything.

Did you wet sand and clear coat? is there a rattle can full of SSM? or whatever out paint color is? if not, what color did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
As they have said . If you off road DIY.
yes, i off road, i will most likely do it myself, i was just curious...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
Bandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Bandwagon's Tacoma Gallery
Duplicolor has paint match rattle cans, I got mine at oreily auto parts like rc said if u take the time they can come out really good, I primered mine and put like 1 coat to see if it was worth finishing and now I e been to lazy to finish hahaha.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #11
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Heres mine...duplicolor

Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
Swab

LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like duplicolor is the way to go. now i just need greyhound to call me to say my fenders have arrived...
Old 12-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
I vote paint shop if its a great price....under $250 for the fronts.

I paid $300 for a friend to do my fenders and bedsides.

If you DIY, the better results I've seen are with the silver color.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
sprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sprocketdog's Tacoma Gallery
Don't mean to jack a thread, but I was wondering if any of the fiber glass rear panels can still accept a fiberglas cap? I am interested in getting fiberglass for mine but I do use a cap on my truck when we take vacations and it would be a hefty purchase if the cap no longer worked. Sorry to mention this is a question regarding the 2nd gen tacos.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
But in reality, i have seen many members on here paint their own with great results. If you do it your self, it will not hurt as much when you scratch it when wheeling.
Shop did a great job on mine, just hurts to see the stripes
Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
Toyota Its Like A Jeep Thing Only Better
Socalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Socalrunner's Tacoma Gallery
For a truck that is going to spend 90% of it time on roads it should be done nice of you can afford it. With tax money in having all my glass professionally fitted and painted.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
My vote is to get it done professionally at a shop (because I have a mall crawler)
If you wheel a lot and know it will be scratched and otherwise damaged then a $30 rattlecan job is all you need - which sounds like it is the way you are planning on going anyway.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketdog View Post
Don't mean to jack a thread, but I was wondering if any of the fiber glass rear panels can still accept a fiberglas cap? I am interested in getting fiberglass for mine but I do use a cap on my truck when we take vacations and it would be a hefty purchase if the cap no longer worked. Sorry to mention this is a question regarding the 2nd gen tacos.
I believe it can be done but would require some fab work to support the cab. From what I understand you would need to build a frame to support the cab since the fenders alone won't.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
Swab

LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Got the paint today, Ill have the fenders by the end of the week, now I just need the weather to clear up so I can get to painting.