Notices

Pondering a LT Hilux

Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Mr Nigel the 1st is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
Mr Nigel the 1st's Tacoma Gallery
Pondering a LT Hilux

Whats up guys.

I don't want to get flamed on this as I know this is a place for Taco's but I would I wanted to see what info TW had to offer. Also long travel trucks / prerunners only really have a major presence in the US. I have been searching and the results have been minimal.

I have been dreaming of a build for some time, and being in the UK the Hilux is the way to go.

I love desert racing and prerunners, and even though my rig will mostly see trails I have a strong desire for all different styles of driving. With Spain, Morocco and the Sahara being a couple of days drive away I am sure hitting some "whoops" is very possible.

So I was wondering if you guys have seen any company's that offer mid or long travel for any Hilux models? (yes I know, serious long shot)
If not then what other options do I have?

I have seen builds (7th gen Hilux) were people have got 12-13 inches of travel without extending the track width and without aftermarket LCA's, And one of them was using Camburg UCA's. But I have a feeling I wouldn't want to be jumping my truck with out the extra track width? Or am I wrong.

Anything is appreciated. Thanks guys

EDIT: I was going to go with newer Hilux, like 2001 -2004 but I have seen on here 90's yotas with LT(e.g elblako's 91 build). Anyone know if any of the older models of Hilux and North America's yota's (pre tacomas) have similar designs were parts could be interchangeable?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nigel the 1st View Post
Whats up guys.

I don't want to get flamed on this as I know this is a place for Taco's but I would I wanted to see what info TW had to offer. Also long travel trucks / prerunners only really have a major presence in the US. I have been searching and the results have been minimal.

I have been dreaming of a build for some time, and being in the UK the Hilux is the way to go.

I love desert racing and prerunners, and even though my rig will mostly see trails I have a strong desire for all different styles of driving. With Spain, Morocco and the Sahara being a couple of days drive away I am sure hitting some "whoops" is very possible.

So I was wondering if you guys have seen any company's that offer mid or long travel for any Hilux models? (yes I know, serious long shot)
If not then what other options do I have?

I have seen builds (7th gen Hilux) were people have got 12-13 inches of travel without extending the track width and without aftermarket LCA's, And one of them was using Camburg UCA's. But I have a feeling I wouldn't want to be jumping my truck with out the extra track width? Or am I wrong.

Anything is appreciated. Thanks guys

EDIT: I was going to go with newer Hilux, like 2001 -2004 but I have seen on here 90's yotas with LT(e.g elblako's 91 build). Anyone know if any of the older models of Hilux and North America's yota's (pre tacomas) have similar designs were parts could be interchangeable?

You're not the only one that has thought of this Jake

Added track width is not only for stability it's to increase wheel travel. I can't imagine just replacing the upper control arms increasing the wheel travel that much. I believe the tacoma and hilux use the same suspension components but I'm not sure maybe somebody could help us out on this one.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/...rt_race_truck/
Old 12-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post
You're not the only one that has thought of this Jake

Added track width is not only for stability it's to increase wheel travel. I can't imagine just replacing the upper control arms increasing the wheel travel that much. I believe the tacoma and hilux use the same suspension components but I'm not sure maybe somebody could help us out on this one.
Thanks Anthony. I wasn't thinking straight about track width
No the build I was referring to didn't achieve that travel from just UCA's, it had a complete overhaul. I was just saying because he didn't replace the LCA's and there wasn't really any fab involved.
That would be good to know.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Dude... I am pretty jelly that guy was 15 when he started.
But a Hilux? I thought they didn't exist in the states

Thanks for the link.

Edit: Just that article mentioning fabrication gets my imagination flowing.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nigel the 1st View Post
Dude... I am pretty jelly that guy was 15 when he started.
But a Hilux? I thought they didn't exist in the states

Thanks for the link.
Maybe an import from mexico? I've only seen them down there. I just watched a suspension install video on the new body style hilux and the components look identical
Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Maybe an import from mexico? I've only seen them down there. I just watched a suspension install video on the new body style hilux and the components look identical
Oh I see.

Really? Hmm, I need to spend some time researching this actually.
Something just came to me, I am probably wrong but I think I remember reading once on a aussy build thread that the new gen Hilux and the 2nd gen Tacos have different LCA's.

But if the rest was the same it would make sense that I have seen Camburg UCA's used on the Hilux. I just looked on Camburg to make sure and I only saw Tacoma and Tundra.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Maybe you'll have more luck with the old models?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
something like this truck? http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/hom...racetruck.html
Old 12-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Maybe you'll have more luck with the old models?
I honestly wouldn't know. Hopefully some others can enlighten us or its time for me to put on my google hat
Old 12-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Hey I think I found an answer. http://www.chaosfab.com/

Check out the Hilux kits on the TC site they take you to the same page as the tacoma or pickup of the same year!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Hey I think I found an answer. http://www.chaosfab.com/

Check out the Hilux kits on the TC site they take you to the same page as the tacoma or pickup of the same year!
Oh snap. Thanks a lot man!

Maybe they do use the same components or at least same geometry. Awwww Yeaaah.

I am glad I started this thread.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
an Aussie on DR is building a LT hilux

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/dr-rides/164378.htm
Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
an Aussie on DR is building a LT hilux

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/dr-rides/164378.htm
Nice one man Ill give this read in the morning.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
The chassis from the Hilux vs Tacoma are not any different except for the 5 to 6 lug but that's the same here too.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
The chassis from the Hilux vs Tacoma are not any different except for the 5 to 6 lug but that's the same here too.
Decent man
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #18

Keep it coming guys. Literally anything is appreciated. Even though I have already been helped any links, builds, products anything just post that shit.
It keeps the ideas flowing.

EDIT: Have been thinking, my truck will be used for so many different things and I was wondering if you LT guys could tell me how well I could drive more technical terrain and trails/overlanding with LT. I would guess being wider would be a disadvantage with tighter stuff. But the extra travel and stability would make up for it. I want a versatile set up. Oh and in case it is not obvious mine will be 4x4.

My truck will be my tool for travel, wheeling, sometimes carrying equipment and hauling light materials/parts. It will also be my canvas for everything I want to learn with design and fabrication. I can see it changing as I need it, I want to build this with modularity in mind. For example have the stock bed and cage changeable with a tubular utility bed. I know my imagination probably exceeds me. I was thinking once the truck is built for long travel, everything reinforced, all kinks worked out. It would be good to be able to remove the fiberglass fenders and rebuild the suspension to ST. As I needed.
For example have the LT set up installed for a year, but change it back for 6 months, then change it back.

I understand this would be a ton of work each time but that's all good with me. Is this just daydreams? impossible? Or can the suspension be rebuilt and rebuilt with no concern?

Sorry to unload my head. I just have a massive amount of ideas.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
In all honesty, if you have the 4wd already, a SAS is ideal and can do a lot more then you think, even through the whoops. LT is good for high speed cornering through rutted area's but I will stand by a solid axle desert beater/pre-runner any day. Less moving parts, more dependable and works very well on any terrain.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
In all honesty, if you have the 4wd already, a SAS is ideal and can do a lot more then you think, even through the whoops. LT is good for high speed cornering through rutted area's but I will stand by a solid axle desert beater/pre-runner any day. Less moving parts, more dependable and works very well on any terrain.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did consider this, the original plan was actually to buy a pre 98 Hilux with SFA and build a nice clean rig. And yes that would be fantastic, I love the way solid axles react to terrain.
I always was told solid axles were bad for high speed. But I trust what you say I will give this more thought.
To be fair though, I will be driving slow though trails most of the time, the amount of high speed driving I will see isn't even for certain. So you are probably right.

LT is something I would do as soon as I had the cash and more experience. SAS is something I wouldn't do for along time or never at all. Besides I want my truck to have a low stance but good travel. IFS trucks that have had an SAS always seem have higher ride height.

I will also have a harder time finding a decent rust free SFA Hilux.