DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Brians 05 Tacoma

Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
dirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud of

Name: Steve
dirt designs's Tacoma Gallery
Brians 05 Tacoma

First Dirt Designs bolt on LT kit. I stuck with full race kits for the last 4 years but finally have designed some bolt in parts. The truck came in with replacement ucas+icons and is leaving with 8" kings and 15" of bolt on travel. With 35x12.5 tires!! The kit is a total of 6" over: 4" over arms and 2" for reworking the spindle geometry for better handling. It will use the stock hubs, brakes, and will still use the factory speed sensor.

Should be getting finished up here within the next week and then i will start taking pre orders on these kits if anyone wants one.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
MEMO CAMPOS is on a distinguished road

MEMO CAMPOS's Tacoma Gallery
😳 I WANT!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good.

Any plans for a 4WD kit? Or 4WD compatible spindles?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
dirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Looks good.

Any plans for a 4WD kit? Or 4WD compatible spindles?
This kit was designed to be just 2wd race. Its not just a lift spindle, so all the geometry is reworked and cant be made to work with 4wd.

What kind of 4wd kit would you be wanting? Extended arms only? Arms+new spindles? If there is enough people interested in a kit I can design and build some. The hub blocks i have made work with 4wd.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt designs View Post
First Dirt Designs bolt on LT kit. I stuck with full race kits for the last 4 years but finally have designed some bolt in parts. The truck came in with replacement ucas+icons and is leaving with 8" kings and 15" of bolt on travel. With 35x12.5 tires!! The kit is a total of 6" over: 4" over arms and 2" for reworking the spindle geometry for better handling. It will use the stock hubs, brakes, and will still use the factory speed sensor.

Should be getting finished up here within the next week and then i will start taking pre orders on these kits if anyone wants one.

What geometry is different in the spindle and what type of handling is improved?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMO CAMPOS View Post
What geometry is different in the spindle and what type of handling is improved?
Reduced scrub radius (not wheel scrub). This means forces going into the steering through the tire are reduced.....40% less with this spindle then stock actually. And not just into the steering wheel, but less forces through the steering rack also. This does not mean you lose feeling of the tires, it really does just mean less forces going through your steering system completely. You will have more control in rough terrain, truck wont wander as much (caster doesnt only play a roll in this), and your steering should survive longer then a stock spindle.

BIG reason why people shouldnt run wheel spacers!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This kit was designed to be just 2wd race. Its not just a lift spindle, so all the geometry is reworked and cant be made to work with 4wd.

What kind of 4wd kit would you be wanting? Extended arms only? Arms+new spindles? If there is enough people interested in a kit I can design and build some. The hub blocks i have made work with 4wd.
What I'm looking for is a fully fabricated 4WD spindle. Horizontal or vertical uniball I don't really care. I'm just tired of bending gussetted spindles. I know there are a good amount of us here and on TTORA that want a strong spindles available for 4WD's.

I'm looking at building a custom LCA in the future (keeping same geometry of my All Pro 2'' kit but going with a boxed construction and secondary shock mount).
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Reduced scrub radius (not wheel scrub). This means forces going into the steering through the tire are reduced.....40% less with this spindle then stock actually. And not just into the steering wheel, but less forces through the steering rack also. This does not mean you lose feeling of the tires, it really does just mean less forces going through your steering system completely. You will have more control in rough terrain, truck wont wander as much (caster doesnt only play a roll in this), and your steering should survive longer then a stock spindle.

BIG reason why people shouldnt run wheel spacers!
Wow sounds amazing! Not to mention your actually improving even past the factory set up! You just made my LT decision and shopping even harder! I too agree with the spacer thing being in the wheel and tire business for 12 yrs now...
Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony250 View Post
Nice work Steve, Im a big fan the red tacoma you built.
Thank you. Someday ill get back to that truck and start racing again.

Some pics with 35x12.5

Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
Bandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Bandwagon's Tacoma Gallery
Will u be able to run a bypass also?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Nice kit . Brian is going to be stoked . 35's !
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
#texasforever
hudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hudson
hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
What gears to push those 35s?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudhawk View Post
Probably 4.88
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blang
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
i cant wait to get behind the wheel!!!!

running bypasses after i get and engine cage and bumping off the spindle when it happens. as for pushing the 35s, ill be running 4.88s
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
Will u be able to run a bypass also?
Of course! Im working on a upper bypass mount too

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudhawk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Probably 4.88
Probably around there (4.88) but im not sure if hes swapping to 35s yet. These were the spares off a chevy we used for mockup to see if they cleared
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
FBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kaleb
FBGW01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL ROJO View Post
Looking good! Any plans for 1st gen kits? Just curious.
x2!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #20
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery