1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long travel and insurance total loss !!

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by havasuflu, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Jan 25, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That's what I always thought, but when my Blazer was totaled a couple of years ago, my AAA agent said that it would not be branded if they were handling it.

I'm glad they weren't. I got screwed, but I hope I never have a vehicle totaled through Auto Club. I didn't have full coverage, so the other guy's company took care of me, took the truck and cut me a check.

Had Auto Club handled it, they would have just cut me a check for total market less salvage value, leaving the truck with me and no title transfer.
    If I decided to savage it out, then it was up to me to scrap the truck, and if what I got in salvage was less than their estimate, then I could put in a claim for the difference.

Major PITA that I don't have time for with my work schedule.

Now, different companies might be different, but I would expect that would be something covered under state law.... or my Auto Club rep was FOS.

2. Jan 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    Socalrunner

Socalrunner Toyota Its Like A Jeep Thing Only Better

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Glendora
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 DCSB
    Icon Coilovers
    Technically the insurance doesn't have to cover anything because the suspension is not DOT approved. They will but I wouldn't go demanding anything.

3. Jan 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    Let me get at those tripple bypasses....haha

4. Jan 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    AggiePilot12

AggiePilot12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 6" Double Cab
    6" Fabtech, All-Pro Leafs, Cold Air, Cat Delete
    We all know how reliable Tacoma's are. Rebuild it if you can, with the Rebuilt from salvage. Bought mine that way, solely because previous owner couldn't afford the payments to fix it.
    I got it from a cheap dealership off craigslist for $4k under blue book with low miles. I plan on keeping mine for the rest of my life but I can always sell it to another Tacoma owner for good price with the mutual understanding of the quality of the build plus the benefit of always cheap monthly insurance payments.

5. Jan 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    Based on what you have said about the truck's condition, I'd still buy it back- If you and your daughter plan on keeping it for a good while. I'm a keep it 'til it don't drive no more' guy, so that's what I'd do.

6. Jan 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    DB3

DB3 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    SAS, Famous Fab Hybrid Bumper, BHLM, 4.56 gears
    Same happened to me recently. My truck was totaled according to the insurance, but apparently in Texas if the damage does not exceed the value of the truck itself you keep a clear title. The main damage i had to my truck was the sway bar was pulled from the frame, which is only two bolts. I bought the truck back and used the money to do a SAS.

7. Jan 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    havasuflu

havasuflu [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    So. Ca.
    Vehicle:
    03 REAL prerunner 2005 access cab prerunner
    2003 Four King triple bypass shocks, two King coil overs, King bump stops, Total Chaos long travel arms, Deaver springs, Bed and cab cage, Beard race seats, crow belts, fiber glass bed sides and front fenders,Alpine system with polk audio speakers, alpine amps, and j l audio sub. 2005 Total chaos long travel, four king tripple bypass, king bump stops, DMZ deaver kit, glass works fenders and bed sides, bed cage, front bumper,
    Here's a little update!!
    Auto club is totaling out the truck. They have offered me a pretty good amount of money ($9,004) and keep the truck , but I feel its worth more. They valued the truck at $12,039 I'm keeping the truck and think it will be VERY easy to fix. Their auto body shop (Seidners in Glendora ca.) will not work on it for liability reasons!! They told Auto club its a rally car and they wouldn't know where to start. I'm buying it back for $3,336 as is. The title will now be salvaged. If i pay $800 more they will not turn it in as a salvage and i still keep the truck. WE are arguing a little over value, I told them I would be happy with the truck and ten grand. He said that might be doable and he would call me back today. Really its not that bad at all they just don't want to work on it. The core support is pushed in 2 inches on the top, the grill, radiator, head lights, hood and fenders need replaced. the fan isn't even touching the radiator! the driver side fender is really fine but we are going with the 6" wider glassworks instead of the 4". The tierod end broke off and the tie rod is bent on the passenger side. I had Solo Motorsports come out and check out the frame and suspension and everything checked out OK.

[​IMG]

8. Jan 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    Almost makes me wanna "total" mine

9. Jan 30, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    havasuflu

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    So. Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2003 Four King triple bypass shocks, two King coil overs, King bump stops, Total Chaos long travel arms, Deaver springs, Bed and cab cage, Beard race seats, crow belts, fiber glass bed sides and front fenders,Alpine system with polk audio speakers, alpine amps, and j l audio sub. 2005 Total chaos long travel, four king tripple bypass, king bump stops, DMZ deaver kit, glass works fenders and bed sides, bed cage, front bumper,
    My daughter is getting exited as she knows its only going to get nicer! I have to make a parts list then roll it into my shop and attack! Pisses me off a little as I was just getting ready to start my 05 build.

10. Jan 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    DB3

DB3 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    SAS, Famous Fab Hybrid Bumper, BHLM, 4.56 gears
    Good luck with everything! Hope the insurance gives you your asking price. Took me a little over a month to settle with my insurance (Allstate).

11. Jan 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    Bandwagon

Bandwagon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Escondido/San diego
    Camburg long travel, full glass,
    sounds like u may have a little coin left over to throw at your 05.... cant wait to see it all back together should look good

12. Jan 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    havasuflu

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    So. Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Just got off the phone with auto club! It took some haggling but I got them to give me $9,911 and I keep the truck and they are not turning in a salvage title on it!! I would say MAJOR SCORE ! I don't think it will take me more then $1,500 in parts plus paint. Might as well powder coat all the suspension and wheels while I have it apart. Stay tuned for more updated pictures of the progress.
    Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions .

13. Jan 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    WOOT!

That's an awesome score, though I think you'll be into it for a bit more than $1500 by the time you're done.

My '94 was over $3k just for a fender, rad support, grille, and hood.

14. Jan 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    dang you made out like a bandit!

15. Mar 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    havasuflu

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    So. Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Here's a little update to my daughters wrecked prerunner. I stripper the truck and started pulling the core support back to the stock position. Got it real close! Pulled off all the Total Chaos suspension and sent it to the powder coater along with the wheels. Went silver vein on the suspension and a custom three color process on the wheels, the wheel color choice was my daughter decision, a little brite but it does look pretty trick!! actually changes color in different light. I replaced the hood , radiator, condenser, grille, head and parking lights, and upgraded her Hellas ! I also replace ball joints, tie rod ends and total chaos bushings since I had everything apart. I had Tim At Glassworks make me a set of the 6.5 wider fenders and painted everything that needed it flat black before install. I then bent up a bumper and welded it on. So far I'm at $2,200 but still have to paint the truck, get an alignment, and upgrade the alarm system before she gets to start driving it again. check out the pictures!
    Thanks again for everybody's help!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  16. Mar 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    havasuflu

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    So. Ca.
    Vehicle:
  17. Mar 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    havasuflu

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    So. Ca.
    Vehicle:
  18. Mar 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    havasuflu

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    So. Ca.
    Vehicle:
  19. Mar 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    havasuflu

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    So. Ca.
    Vehicle:
  20. Mar 3, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    havasuflu

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    So. Ca.
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top