DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Long travel and insurance total loss !!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #21
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
No salvage title if the owner buys it out.
Title is only branded if it changes ownership. If the buyer wants to keep the vehicle, the insurance company deducts estimated salvage value from fair market and writes a check for the difference.
unless you know this for a fact, im pretty sure youre wrong. the insurance files it as a total loss before you can buy it back.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
unless you know this for a fact, im pretty sure youre wrong. the insurance files it as a total loss before you can buy it back.
That's what I always thought, but when my Blazer was totaled a couple of years ago, my AAA agent said that it would not be branded if they were handling it.

I'm glad they weren't. I got screwed, but I hope I never have a vehicle totaled through Auto Club. I didn't have full coverage, so the other guy's company took care of me, took the truck and cut me a check.

Had Auto Club handled it, they would have just cut me a check for total market less salvage value, leaving the truck with me and no title transfer.
If I decided to savage it out, then it was up to me to scrap the truck, and if what I got in salvage was less than their estimate, then I could put in a claim for the difference.

Major PITA that I don't have time for with my work schedule.

Now, different companies might be different, but I would expect that would be something covered under state law.... or my Auto Club rep was FOS.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #23
Toyota Its Like A Jeep Thing Only Better
Socalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Socalrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Technically the insurance doesn't have to cover anything because the suspension is not DOT approved. They will but I wouldn't go demanding anything.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #24
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Let me get at those tripple bypasses....haha
Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
AggiePilot12 has a spectacular aura aboutAggiePilot12 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
AggiePilot12's Tacoma Gallery
We all know how reliable Tacoma's are. Rebuild it if you can, with the Rebuilt from salvage. Bought mine that way, solely because previous owner couldn't afford the payments to fix it.
I got it from a cheap dealership off craigslist for $4k under blue book with low miles. I plan on keeping mine for the rest of my life but I can always sell it to another Tacoma owner for good price with the mutual understanding of the quality of the build plus the benefit of always cheap monthly insurance payments.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Based on what you have said about the truck's condition, I'd still buy it back- If you and your daughter plan on keeping it for a good while. I'm a keep it 'til it don't drive no more' guy, so that's what I'd do.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #27
DB3 is on a distinguished road

Name: Daniel
DB3's Tacoma Gallery
Same happened to me recently. My truck was totaled according to the insurance, but apparently in Texas if the damage does not exceed the value of the truck itself you keep a clear title. The main damage i had to my truck was the sway bar was pulled from the frame, which is only two bolts. I bought the truck back and used the money to do a SAS.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #28
havasuflu is a splendid one to beholdhavasuflu is a splendid one to beholdhavasuflu is a splendid one to beholdhavasuflu is a splendid one to beholdhavasuflu is a splendid one to beholdhavasuflu is a splendid one to beholdhavasuflu is a splendid one to behold
Name: Doug
havasuflu's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a little update!!
Auto club is totaling out the truck. They have offered me a pretty good amount of money ($9,004) and keep the truck , but I feel its worth more. They valued the truck at $12,039 I'm keeping the truck and think it will be VERY easy to fix. Their auto body shop (Seidners in Glendora ca.) will not work on it for liability reasons!! They told Auto club its a rally car and they wouldn't know where to start. I'm buying it back for $3,336 as is. The title will now be salvaged. If i pay $800 more they will not turn it in as a salvage and i still keep the truck. WE are arguing a little over value, I told them I would be happy with the truck and ten grand. He said that might be doable and he would call me back today. Really its not that bad at all they just don't want to work on it. The core support is pushed in 2 inches on the top, the grill, radiator, head lights, hood and fenders need replaced. the fan isn't even touching the radiator! the driver side fender is really fine but we are going with the 6" wider glassworks instead of the 4". The tierod end broke off and the tie rod is bent on the passenger side. I had Solo Motorsports come out and check out the frame and suspension and everything checked out OK.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #29
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Almost makes me wanna "total" mine
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #30
havasuflu is a splendid one to beholdhavasuflu is a splendid one to beholdhavasuflu is a splendid one to beholdhavasuflu is a splendid one to beholdhavasuflu is a splendid one to beholdhavasuflu is a splendid one to beholdhavasuflu is a splendid one to behold
My daughter is getting exited as she knows its only going to get nicer! I have to make a parts list then roll it into my shop and attack! Pisses me off a little as I was just getting ready to start my 05 build.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #31
DB3 is on a distinguished road

Name: Daniel
DB3's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with everything! Hope the insurance gives you your asking price. Took me a little over a month to settle with my insurance (Allstate).
Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #32
Bandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Bandwagon's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like u may have a little coin left over to throw at your 05.... cant wait to see it all back together should look good
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #33
Just got off the phone with auto club! It took some haggling but I got them to give me $9,911 and I keep the truck and they are not turning in a salvage title on it!! I would say MAJOR SCORE ! I don't think it will take me more then $1,500 in parts plus paint. Might as well powder coat all the suspension and wheels while I have it apart. Stay tuned for more updated pictures of the progress.
Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions .
Old 01-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #34
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
WOOT!

That's an awesome score, though I think you'll be into it for a bit more than $1500 by the time you're done.

My '94 was over $3k just for a fender, rad support, grille, and hood.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #35
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
dang you made out like a bandit!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #36
Update

Here's a little update to my daughters wrecked prerunner. I stripper the truck and started pulling the core support back to the stock position. Got it real close! Pulled off all the Total Chaos suspension and sent it to the powder coater along with the wheels. Went silver vein on the suspension and a custom three color process on the wheels, the wheel color choice was my daughter decision, a little brite but it does look pretty trick!! actually changes color in different light. I replaced the hood , radiator, condenser, grille, head and parking lights, and upgraded her Hellas ! I also replace ball joints, tie rod ends and total chaos bushings since I had everything apart. I had Tim At Glassworks make me a set of the 6.5 wider fenders and painted everything that needed it flat black before install. I then bent up a bumper and welded it on. So far I'm at $2,200 but still have to paint the truck, get an alignment, and upgrade the alarm system before she gets to start driving it again. check out the pictures!
Thanks again for everybody's help!