DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Towing with LT

Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Towing with LT

Looking for experiences towing with full LT. I know MonkeyProof tows his rock crawler with a nearly identical set up to what I have now, but I plan on going SUA (Defined) as soon as I get back.

Looking at buying a small toy hauler (~18 feet, ~5,200 pounds loaded weight)

The solution I've come up with for the SUA is to use Firestone Riderite air bags, but to mount them to a plate, welded to a tube, that can slip into my bumpstop cans. That way I can take ten minutes to swap out the bumpstops for the airbags, tow the trailer to my destination, unhook, swap in the bumpstops again, and go have fun. And obviously will have trailer brake controller as well.

I also realize I will need to regear if I want my transmission to live very long, especially when I go to 35's.

Any experience / advice welcome
Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
A weight distributing hitch will be a must especially if you go SUA. Will help with keeping everything level and helps prevent sway!!!! I use one.

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Weig...tribution.aspx
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

How much does your crawler weigh? How much does it push the truck around?

I by no means plan to haul ass with the trailer, I just want to be able to tow it without white knuckling the whole way there.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have no idea what it wieghs..the power is there to tow..4.56 gears and 35's handle it just fine. But braking sucks ass even with decent trailer brakes and controller. I watch my distance and dread the day I have to panick brake again
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
How much does your crawler weigh? How much does it push the truck around?

I by no means plan to haul ass with the trailer, I just want to be able to tow it without white knuckling the whole way there.
You don't have to white knuckle, but you definitely need to drive slow, steady and careful. Always break at yellow if possible, leave lots of space on freeway in front (people drive stupid passing us because we go 55, like we're supposed to).

We only had one scary moment where a light went green yellow red so fast we were caught off guard, and slammed on the brakes. Trailer brakes and all, we blew right through the intersection. So you definitely just want to give yourself a lot of space.

You'll just have to get used to the sway, the wind will really push you around.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

How's the sway and the cornering? I towed a ~3,000 pound box trailer a lot of miles with an F150; but that was a full size stock truck and a two thousand pound lighter trailer.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
Power Top

Sway and cornering is fine . But in high wind conditions the sway noticeable and kept me aware instead of relaxing and going with the flow if you know what I mean . But I would imagine that would be for just about any tow rig