DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

AP LT or part out and Raptor???

Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #41
RacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Adamo
RacerAV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABurnout View Post
Something to remember is the Raptor is a factory build truck. They spent lots of time and money making it do everything well. I am sure you can get a tacoma to do everything the raptor can do eventually, but you will need to work at it.
my thoughts exactly...

I'm also taking simplicity into consideration...
Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 AM   #42
RacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerAV is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
RacerAV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJALLDAY702 View Post
From you're OP it looks like you are leaning more to the want of comfortability. The raptor is extremely smooth to drive, very comfortable interior and is very powerful/fast. And with some changes (deaver leaf pack to get rid of the block and bumpstop kit) the raptor is extremely fun.

I also have my doubts about the all-pro LT kit being worth it as a "long-travel kit" And you're tacoma will not drive the same if it is "fully" built.

I love my tacoma without a doubt, Its just not as comfortable to drive as it once was. And will require multiple mods to get it even close to that.

As said my dad owns a 2011 4-door raptor and loves it, I have also driven it vigorously on and offroad. It is very capable out of the box. But again, as said, a fully LT'd tacoma like mine has almost twice as much travel and is A LOT more fun in the desert than the raptor (but thats because I go balls out)

At the end of the day you have to decide what you are going to be doing with you're truck, And choose appropriately/
yeah all about on par with my thoughts...
i (as well as most people on TW) drive my truck daily, and more on road than off... (unfortunately... haha)
I'd like to enjoy my daily drives more, and as is now in the Tacoma, I just dont. I love it off road, camping, trails, dirt roads at speed... but MOST of these things would be great in the Raptor as well, if not better. (for what I do, not going balls out in the desert)

That first drive in the Raptor was just too nice not to think about more...
Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #43
Army:
RacerAV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
But, when you actually take a Raptor to the desert and beat on it these things are going to happen too. The Raptor doesnt have special alignment cams, core support, wheels, tires or frames. If you actually want to beat on a Raptor your going to have to put more money into it, and address the bending rear frame immediately

The question is do you want to spend money on? Do you want it to actually perform in the desert? Or do you want to look like you perform in the desert while driving a luxury truck?
I don't plan on beating on my truck more than I do the tacoma, nothing to make silly videos of at least... no "hold my beer and watch this" moments for me.

I do think the Raptor performs well enough in the desert for a truck just off the lot. AND it is a luxury feel inside, which is nice (not sure if youre mocking here, but whatever, it is a nice truck inside, and who WANTS to be uncomfortable?)
Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #44
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Just have your truck checked out and dialed in . It sounds like you don't even need a long travel set up so why waste a shit ton of money .Also take some rides in people's LT trucks to get a feel of what they're like .
Old 01-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #45
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Since it doesn't sound like you would build the Tacoma to use it, I think your choice is clear. Get the Raptor the seats are really comfortable and rides smooth. Just don't expect the same level of performance out of the Raptor as a built version of your truck costing 10k less.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #46
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerAV View Post
I don't plan on beating on my truck more than I do the tacoma, nothing to make silly videos of at least... no "hold my beer and watch this" moments for me.

I do think the Raptor performs well enough in the desert for a truck just off the lot. AND it is a luxury feel inside, which is nice (not sure if youre mocking here, but whatever, it is a nice truck inside, and who WANTS to be uncomfortable?)
Not mocking, when you build up a Raptor it's a luxury prerunner. My truck is a squeaky pile compared to a built Raptor, but the price tag reflects that as well
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #47
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
raptor
Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #48
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
IF you want to go upside down in your truck and pay more for a raptor more power to you. I would say get some factory replacement c/o's and go for a Mid Travel set up and you wont have to go through the pain of getting different vehicle
Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #49
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a decent amount of weight in the back with the expos (vibes could be from too much lift)? I've got icons up front at 2", camburg bj UCA's, no sway bar and standard AP leafs with some weight in the back to mellow them out and think my truck rides pretty damn smooth. Taking the sway bar off made a big difference in not jolting me around on rough terrain. Also, what tires are you running? That and get new seats?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #50
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Raptor.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #51
A.I.I.Raciing is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.I.I.Raciing is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.I.I.Raciing is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.I.I.Raciing is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.I.I.Raciing is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.I.I.Raciing is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.I.I.Raciing is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.I.I.Raciing is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.I.I.Raciing is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.I.I.Raciing is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.I.I.Raciing is one of the sharper tools in the shed
A.I.I.Raciing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
IF you want to go upside down in your truck and pay more for a raptor more power to you. I would say get some factory replacement c/o's and go for a Mid Travel set up and you wont have to go through the pain of getting different vehicle
What do you mean upside down in your truck? I'm assuming your talking about $ and if so most guys that are selling there used Raptors are selling them for more than they paid for it due to the demand of the truck. And almost all of them are getting the exact same truck but brand new with no miles.
I've looked at quite a few used Raptors over the last 5 weeks and they are all selling (not asking) for more than brand new Raptors are, and the reason is that you can have it right now and not wait. At least in Orange County that's how it is.
I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP, I have a very low mileage Titan that I love driving, its got a bunch of work done to it, but its 6 years old and needs a few things to make me happy, but instead of dumping 5-7K into it and making it what I want I might as well sell it and pick up a Raptor
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #52
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget gas milage . I'd figure a desert trip in it would be 3x. My tacoma .
Old 01-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #53
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I.I.Raciing View Post
What do you mean upside down in your truck? I'm assuming your talking about $ and if so most guys that are selling there used Raptors are selling them for more than they paid for it due to the demand of the truck. And almost all of them are getting the exact same truck but brand new with no miles.
I've looked at quite a few used Raptors over the last 5 weeks and they are all selling (not asking) for more than brand new Raptors are, and the reason is that you can have it right now and not wait. At least in Orange County that's how it is.
I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP, I have a very low mileage Titan that I love driving, its got a bunch of work done to it, but its 6 years old and needs a few things to make me happy, but instead of dumping 5-7K into it and making it what I want I might as well sell it and pick up a Raptor
I assumed cause he had an 09 and wasnt completely paid off if he traded in more than likely he would get less than he has on the loan being upside down. and then spending more on the raptor on top of that.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #54
Army:
RacerAV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
Not mocking, when you build up a Raptor it's a luxury prerunner. My truck is a squeaky pile compared to a built Raptor, but the price tag reflects that as well
great, a luxury pre runner... if money permits, whats wrong with it? i get that people here might not like it cause its not a tacoma, but with an open mind, it seems like a great way to be... to me at least
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #55
Army:
RacerAV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i hope nobody wants to go upside down in their truck, haha... wait, barrel rolls or back flips? haha...

I have Icon st. 4 set up on my truck now. It's okay. Performs pretty well off road. But on road (where I spend most of my time driving) it's NOT fun. It's tiring to drive. And I love driving, manual trans, twisties, motorcycles... it's not that I'm lazy. I just don't like the onroad feel of my Tacoma.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #56
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember a stockish raptor can do this

http://youtu.be/ijohgQZ7cd4

Not this

http://youtu.be/zYyIsWRepgw
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #57
Army:
RacerAV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Do you have a decent amount of weight in the back with the expos (vibes could be from too much lift)? I've got icons up front at 2", camburg bj UCA's, no sway bar and standard AP leafs with some weight in the back to mellow them out and think my truck rides pretty damn smooth. Taking the sway bar off made a big difference in not jolting me around on rough terrain. Also, what tires are you running? That and get new seats?
i have a few things in the bed, would probably benefit by going with the standard 3" pack instead of the expo. I removed my sway as well. Tires: 285/75/17 BFG AT (I think 75, might be 70, they only come in one or the other)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I.I.Raciing View Post
Yeah, my truck is paid off. I usually pay my vehicles off in about a year. Builds credit without paying too much in interest. (I hate banks...)

Thats what I'm thinking, my Tacoma needs a few MORE things to be just right, and will cost a lot more than the thousands I've already put into it... It's got ~80k miles on it now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Don't forget gas milage . I'd figure a desert trip in it would be 3x. My tacoma .
Yeah, was REALLY hoping to see an EcoBoost engine option for '13... nope! Maybe next year? Buy a used '10 now, enjoy it, then if the new engine comes out next year, buy that!

Quote:
I assumed cause he had an 09 and wasnt completely paid off if he traded in more than likely he would get less than he has on the loan being upside down. and then spending more on the raptor on top of that.
nope, paid off, like I said.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #58
Army:
RacerAV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Just remember a stockish raptor can do this

http://youtu.be/ijohgQZ7cd4

Not this

http://youtu.be/zYyIsWRepgw
yeah, i would hate to be the buyer of that second truck, shoot, either one... I'm looking for grandpas late life crisis mistake of a purchase, hahaha... OR a new one.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #59
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Check the under carriage really good . Hits and bent skids = ran .
I see a Raptor get detailed every week never sees any dirt though . They're out here in Cali .
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #60
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
raptor with a whipple supercharger... awww yeah!

if i had the funds, id get a raptor in a heartbeat, difficult decision would be to get the extended cab or the 4 door haha