Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Modified Tundra CV Shafts

Old 02-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
tpusich is on a distinguished road
Name: Troy
tpusich's Tacoma Gallery
Modified Tundra CV Shafts

alright im a new user and ive browsed and searched through tacoma world for an hour now and havent found an answer, i just traded my 85 4runner for a 4x4 01 tacoma with a TC long travel kit. unfortunately broke something my first run out. I know that the cv shafts are special tundra ones and i am really hoping i dont have to spend 800 bucks to fix this. i havent taken it all the way apart but from the looks of it the cv shaft itself is intact, it is the bearing on the end that goes into the hub that is broken. does anybody know if it is possible to just replace that bearing that is held in by 2 C-Clips. If so, where can i buy that!

thanks in advance for any input!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpusich View Post
alright im a new user and ive browsed and searched through tacoma world for an hour now and havent found an answer, i just traded my 85 4runner for a 4x4 01 tacoma with a TC long travel kit. unfortunately broke something my first run out. I know that the cv shafts are special tundra ones and i am really hoping i dont have to spend 800 bucks to fix this. i havent taken it all the way apart but from the looks of it the cv shaft itself is intact, it is the bearing on the end that goes into the hub that is broken. does anybody know if it is possible to just replace that bearing that is held in by 2 C-Clips. If so, where can i buy that!

thanks in advance for any input!
It's nothing special. It's literally just a factory Tundra CV axle. The only thing that's modified is the inner cv cup. You grind off the lip and replace the boot with a bates style 930 boot.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
tpusich's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
It's nothing special. It's literally just a factory Tundra CV axle. The only thing that's modified is the inner cv cup. You grind off the lip and replace the boot with a bates style 930 boot.
so i just need to buy a tundra cv shaft? same year or what? then that bearing just goes back on between the C-Clips and its good. i am going to get new cv boots all around anyways because they are torn up and leaking.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
You can just drive down to Toyota, or vatozone, or O'reilly, or whatever, and buy a complete CV axle for a first gen Toyota Tundra. Year doesn't matter, they are all the same, just say 2004. They are the exact same size and spline count, both inner and outer as a tacoma axle, just wider. You don't "have" to do anything with the c clips or the bearings, unless you want to rebuild it. Honestly it's easier to just replace the whole damn axle.

To take full advantage of the travel the TC kit offers, you'll have to grind off the original boot lip off the inner CV and replace the boot.

Take a look towards the middle of this article. It outlines the process:
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/p...roject669.html

Taco vs tundra:
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
tpusich's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
You can just drive down to Toyota, or vatozone, or O'reilly, or whatever, and buy a complete CV axle for a first gen Toyota Tundra. Year doesn't matter, they are all the same, just say 2004. They are the exact same size and spline count, both inner and outer as a tacoma axle, just wider. You don't "have" to do anything with the c clips or the bearings, unless you want to rebuild it. Honestly it's easier to just replace the whole damn axle.

To take full advantage of the travel the TC kit offers, you'll have to grind off the original boot lip off the inner CV and replace the boot.

Take a look towards the middle of this article. It outlines the process:
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/p...roject669.html

Awesome thank you so much. just saved me about 600 bucks!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
help please!! for a taco with manual locking hubs you need to swap the outer cv joint to the tacoma one correct?

on mine the spline counts are different.... in the tundy shaft the spline county is 26, on the it is a 34 spline count... so i cant put my tacoma CV on the tundy cv axle?
what am i missing....
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
i was just talking to TC about this at the off road expo. they said you needed a custom shaft, the trundra inner CV and your locking hub outer. they said they no longer offer that shaft, but said some company in Colorado sells them (cant remember the damn name :lol: )
Old 10-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
the company is called ORS, but you actually can get a shaft you just have to get a OEM 2001-2006 tundra axle
Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
tpusich's Tacoma Gallery
What year is your runner?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
SPEEDY CRAWLER
i sold the runner, they are going on a 98 tacoma
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnercaged View Post
the company is called ORS, but you actually can get a shaft you just have to get a OEM 2001-2006 tundra axle
what? i was told it wont work if you have locking hubs.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
SPEEDY CRAWLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
what? i was told it wont work if you have locking hubs.
ok so i my shop took apart the axles and they are still different.
i talked with mike from ORS just now and he said that he is looking at a stock tacoma outer and a tundra shaft and both spline counts are 34.

my axle shop is saying my outer is 26 splines so i think im just using the wrong outers..

i will report back.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
tpusich's Tacoma Gallery
Spline count should be the same. Need to press the shaft out of the outer axle joint and press a tundra cv into that with a lock ring. My outer cv joint bearing was broken so I had to buy a cv for a manual locking hub tacoma and another one for a tundra
Old 10-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
SPEEDY CRAWLER
so what your saying is i need tundra inner CV joint, Tundra Axle shaft, and a tacoma manual hub outer CV joint?
and you personally did this? just want to make sure
Old 11-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
manethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant future
manethon's Tacoma Gallery
anyone know if there are manual locking hubs or any mods that can be made to allow for manual locking hubs on a 05+ tacoma ?