DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Defined SUA - Couple of questions

Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Defined SUA - Couple of questions

For those of you with defined SUA -

How well does it handle a load? I'm looking at about 400 pounds of roof top tent, camping gear, water, and gas. Would be on the truck for days to weeks at a time. That's on top of the bed cage and full size spare.

How much sag have you had in the leaf pack over time and what kind of load are you routinely carrying?

Any other comments you have on the kit? Unless some folks give me some clear warnings, I'm going to go ahead and order one soon.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Bandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Bandwagon's Tacoma Gallery
Stiff very stiff....
Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
Stiff very stiff....
That's what she said .
Old 03-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Angrytaco
Emtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Paramedic
Name: Brad
Emtmeyer's Tacoma Gallery
Curious also, how much travel does the kit actually have?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
maXXXed out mid travel
straycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: paul
straycat241's Tacoma Gallery
I have the defined sua, and it handles a load in the bed quiet well. The 400 Lbs. of gear would probably not put too much sag on the springs while it's loaded. I've had mine since may/2012 and the deaver springs are still in perfect shape. My usal bed load out is a aluminium jack and a 33 tire, and it handles with ease around town. Where as my stockish set up would bottom out all the time. I've gotten some decently heavy loads on it a few times. Once with 4/90 Lbs. bags of cement and this one I got a pic of with 720 Lbs. of cement. About the travel numbers I think mine is around 14. here are some pics/vid about the kit
bed loaded

pretty close to full drop/jack maxed out lol

video of the kit out in lucerne valley
http://youtu.be/TC-B848O-eM
Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
Stiff very stiff....
I think that will be a good thing for me, with the amount of weight I will have out there.

Forgot to mention, I am welding a mount for my winch in just behind the rear axle.

So it'll have a full size spare and that winch behind the rear axle 24/7.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
Angrytaco
Emtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I love the set up and ease of installation but 14" just doesn't seem like enough travel for me to put that kind of cash into a "long travel" rear. That's about mid travel in the rear, not trashing the kit at all, it's a great kit and ingenious utilization of stock mounts but I guess I'll have to cut and weld!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #8

You have to remember the most important part of SUA is the increase in bump travel.

Droop is good, but up travel is the main advantage. The defined kit has the same amount of up travel as anyone else's.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Angrytaco
That's a good point, what size smoothies you running?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #10

I have a set of 16'' Fox 2.5 double bypasses waiting to go on.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
I'm installing mine soon, I think we have similar plans and goals Chase. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #12
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone on here using stock fenders with the defined brace/bracket to clear the tires? I did see the photos on the site but looking for first hand experiences
Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yeah i have stock fenders without the brace thingy
Old 04-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Are you still running the tires in your build thread? Also are you running spacers?
Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
35's with 1.25" spacers
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #16

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply, looking through your build didn't find anything you had to cut. Do the tires hit the fender at all?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Haven't been wheeling since I went sua. My build isn't very organized

I can tell its going to rub bad though
Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
35's with 1.25" spacers
How are the back wheels lining up with the front wheels? You're running an AP LT kit too right?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
How are the back wheels lining up with the front wheels? You're running an AP LT kit too right?
No i passed on the All-Pro kit i planned on getting, i have kings and uca's up front with tc spindle gussets. i have spacers in the front so everything looks good with the fiberglass.