DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Looking to get a bumper made, need some advice.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #21
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly i think it needs more bracing just those front plates in not enough. You hit a dune in pismo that thing will cave right into the grill. I had to fix Rob's because of the same thing.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #22
Lil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud of

Air Force: C-5 Loadmaster
Name: Scotty
Lil'Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Honestly i think it needs more bracing just those front plates in not enough. You hit a dune in pismo that thing will cave right into the grill. I had to fix Rob's because of the same thing.
What do you mean more bracing/ plates not being enough? like the plates where it mounts to? or the Aluminum plating that will go on over the tubing?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #23
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Taco View Post
What do you mean more bracing/ plates not being enough? like the plates where it mounts to? or the Aluminum plating that will go on over the tubing?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #24
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I needs more mounting points those 6 bolts in the front are not enough. If thats all the tube they are putting on it that bumper will not be strong and it will bend very easy if you bump into something. Even a tube that wraps around to the side of the frame and bolts to those holes would be good.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #25
Lil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud of

So there will still be another tube that will go up higher (skinnier red line) for a light bar to be mounted to, This tube I know will provide very little if any structure. I still think there needs to be another tube going across lower to support the plating (since it will be fairly thin aluminum up top/ the thick red line) the green line was a 1x2 (it might be thicker then that) steel tube that is replacing an original cross member that had a tow hook on it tying the frame rails together.

The tubing goes under the engine into a belly pan that will have steel plating and at least 4 more mounting points. Is that what you mean by more mounting points?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #26
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Is what I mean is the top tube needs to be supported somewhere. From the looks of it the bumper is 1.5" HREW and I'm sure .120 wall well it better be a least. if you hit anything higher then the frame mounting point the bumper will bend without more support up top. I'm on my phone or I would draw it out for you.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #28

Oh so you mean up here...

There is going to be more bracing going around under where the headlights and grill are to make mounting points for the plating that will fill in the top, we could probably tie into the frame or something...?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #29
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
BINGO!!! find a way to add support up high and you should be a lot better off if you and up hitting that bumper on anything.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #30
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh so you mean up here...

There is going to be more bracing going around under where the headlights and grill are to make mounting points for the plating that will fill in the top, we could probably tie into the frame or something...?
yup. its not steel plate lol. those two tubes coming up from the mounting location will bend very easily .
Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #31

Sweet! I have tomorrow off so I'll be hitting up the shop and probably before they even get to much further on anything (first thing in the morning). As I can recall though there really isn't a whole lot of anything structural to tie into up there and I'm starting to think that's why some people do a pretty beefy boxed part from the frame rails up to that area. any idea on how to make that work with it still being bolt on?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #32
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sweet! I have tomorrow off so I'll be hitting up the shop and probably before they even get to much further on anything (first thing in the morning). As I can recall though there really isn't a whole lot of anything structural to tie into up there and I'm starting to think that's why some people do a pretty beefy boxed part from the frame rails up to that area. any idea on how to make that work with it still being bolt on?
hmm. not sure....you are right though. really not anything up top to tie into. Might just have to tie in some more support pieces to that new cross member, then sort of boxed in/square support from the mounting locations up to the bottom of the grille and flat out to the bumper...sort of like a triangle shape?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #33

There is a single plate of steel from the mounting plates connecting the tube to it but now that I'm talking about it and looking at other peoples bumpers I think it won't do much. Baja Bumpers (green) have some tube going to somewhere further up for bracing up top on their bolt on bumper so I think there has to be somewhere else to attach to.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #34

so after taking a look at the front end this morning there doesn't look like anything you can really tie into up top...

we though that maybe extending the plate further up the front tube on the inside. we wouldn't be able to do any on the outside because the mounting bolts would be in the way.

Jerry, I don't want to tie you up anymore then I have to buy is your shop number your cell phone I can text or call you at?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
What did you end up doing on Rob's bumper? and what is his screen name? I'm just afraid tying into the body mounts to the top tube would do some serious damage if anything was hit, sending the force into the body isn't a good idea. I would rather have the bumper bend and prevent the body from taking the blow, then I also don't want the whole bumper collapsing into the grill either...
Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #36
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What did you end up doing on Rob's bumper? and what is his screen name? I'm just afraid tying into the body mounts to the top tube would do some serious damage if anything was hit, sending the force into the body isn't a good idea. I would rather have the bumper bend and prevent the body from taking the blow, then I also don't want the whole bumper collapsing into the grill either...
Well your you have to make the choice I tied Robs bumper into the body mounts Jberry did the same thing. I'll tell you this you hit something hard enough to shear off those bolts your going to have more problems then the bumper bending into the body. And the way your bumper is now it would cause more damage with less of a hit then it would with the bumper tied into the body mount bolts.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #37
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just sayin

Old 04-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #38
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Or that ^
Old 04-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #39
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
I take it this is the 1st tube bumper this shop has made?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
I take it this is the 1st tube bumper this shop has made?
Well maybe tube bumper of this style. They guy has made a couple other bumpers, roll bars, and frames for some 6x6 vehicles at least.