DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Looking to get a bumper made, need some advice.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
Lil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud of

Air Force: C-5 Loadmaster
Name: Scotty
Lil'Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to get a bumper made, need some advice.

So I finally pulled the trigger and saved up enough money to get a custom tube hybrid bumper made. I went to a local off-road fabricating shop with an idea of the bumper; here is what I took them:

I asked for aluminum plating about as thick as the SDHQ bumpers. I also said that I wanted the tubing powder coated but since it would most likely be welded onto the frame, they would tack weld it on and once it was completed remove it so I could take it to B.A.M.F. to get powder coated and then have them weld it back on. Since one of the pictures didn't have the skid going all the way under into a belly skid I think they were quoting me without it. They quoted me $1600 for the whole thing done in 2 days. Does that sound decent? How much would the materials cost for something like that?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
why would you want to block all of your airflow with that style?

Having airflow cutouts is a good idea.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Yeeeeeah...$1600 seems like one helluva stretch for that...
Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Im sure you could get it for a lot cheaper from another shop or another tw member, i got mine build for 350 but it doesn't have the full plating only the front skid
Old 03-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Bandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Bandwagon's Tacoma Gallery
Sdhq charges about 3k for that bumper so if your dead set on there design I guess u are getting a good deal. Most traditional tube bumpers from shops range from 400-750 depending on what style and size of material and material. Don't be afraid to ask another shop if u are worried on the price. For me I would not pay that much for a front bumper...
Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Happysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shedHappysmiley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabien
Happysmiley's Tacoma Gallery
If you get one made, make sure the bottom of the skid is at least as low as the bottom of your front lower a-arm mounts, especially if you don't have the lift spindles.

I think you should buy a mig welder, tube bender, chop saw, and angle grinder. Then you can build your own, and other stuff later. Other people are hacks.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
Sdhq charges about 3k for that bumper so if your dead set on there design I guess u are getting a good deal. Most traditional tube bumpers from shops range from 400-750 depending on what style and size of material and material. Don't be afraid to ask another shop if u are worried on the price. For me I would not pay that much for a front bumper...
We are less than that for a bumper. It all depends on what YOU want. We have some that cost more than $3K and some that come in way less. Just depends on what's wanted and how much time is spent. Our fab is charged hourly. We also Tig weld each bumper (takes longer than mig) and each bumper is choromoly unless otherwise requested. So having a mig welded Mild or DOM is gonna be less.

As far as cooling we have had 0 issues on any bumper we have made.

So the $1600 they Quoted you is a pretty good deal if they do good work. You can also have a garage guy do it for less as well.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
Bandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandwagon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Bandwagon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ OFFROAD View Post
We are less than that for a bumper. It all depends on what YOU want. We have some that cost more than $3K and some that come in way less. Just depends on what's wanted and how much time is spent. Our fab is charged hourly. We also Tig weld each bumper (takes longer than mig) and each bumper is choromoly unless otherwise requested. So having a mig welded Mild or DOM is gonna be less.

So the $1600 they Quoted you is a pretty good deal if they do good work. You can also have a garage guy do it for less as well.
for the record i was not bashing you guys in anyway, that white tacoma that pops up first on google search is what made me decide on building a tacoma. so i blame you for my money pit hahaha.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery

Old 03-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
for the record i was not bashing you guys in anyway, that white tacoma that pops up first on google search is what made me decide on building a tacoma. so i blame you for my money pit hahaha.
Oh ya, no worries. Never thought you were. I know the prices can be a shock to those you do not know why the cost is that way. just wanted to give everyone more info.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Lil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud of

Yeah thanks for the information everyone, I have come up with a few questions and points I still need to bring up with the shop. if I could drive all the way down south to drop off my truck I wouldn't think twice if where to go. once I'm back home and talk with the shop and surely get a different quote we will see where I stand.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Our bumpers are bolt on and can be shipped anywhere
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post

Any more pics of this bumper? Is it complete bolt on?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ OFFROAD View Post

What gauge aluminum do you guys use for those bumpers?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #19

Well, I went back to make sure we were both on the same page and after discussing the parts I was concerned about I was happy enough to get the show on the road...

And so the story begins...

I made sure the whole thing was bolt on so if the day ever did come to sell I could return it back to stock easier. We decided to cut the bracing connecting the two frame rails with the toe hook off and raise up the support for more clearance.

We talked about the belly skid so instead of jacking the price way up for having to order a thicker whole sheet of aluminum for it we decided it would be made out of steel plate. The tubing will wrap around at the back and connect together underneath.

They have done some pretty nice work on some other things so I have a good feeling about the whole project.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #20

It has been a couple days since any major progress has been made but they just got in some mounting tabs so things should start falling together a bit faster now. As of Monday this was where it was at:

My question is, I have seen seen both done when it comes to tube bumpers some have straight up tube construction and some have boxed construction coming from where it mounts to the frame rails. I can see the boxed being more ridgid if you were to take a "lawn dart" plant on the front end but I feel like you would have bigger issues to be worrying about if that were to happen. The tube should be plenty strong still right?