DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Teenager in need of advice for LT

Old 05-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #41
Hockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to all
Name: Kaleb
Hockeyman90's Tacoma Gallery
When I got to LT can I use the MT shocks?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #42
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman90 View Post
When I got to LT can I use the MT shocks?
No
Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #43
Hockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
No
Dang!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #44
Trusso24 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
Trusso24's Tacoma Gallery
Like they said nothing MT will be used on a decent LT setup.

I'm in the energy industry right now and trust me, if you have the chance to go to school, do.

Not all of us have the backing that you do, and like someone said, you seem to have your head on pretty straight for a 16 year old. Compared to California tweens.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #45
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the money to spend on a decent LT setup, don't do it. Go for a 3" lift or MT and save the rest for college. College is pretty expensive now. I have a lot of debt from my student loans and wish I would have saved a lot more than I did. You're more likely to get a better paying job right out of college than if you skip college and start working out of high school. And with that good paying job..... you can afford a sweet LT setup, lots of mods, and you'll have one hell of a truck!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusso24 View Post
Like they said nothing MT will be used on a decent LT setup.

I'm in the energy industry right now and trust me, if you have the chance to go to school, do.

Not all of us have the backing that you do, and like someone said, you seem to have your head on pretty straight for a 16 year old. Compared to California tweens.
Thanks. I mean I have sort of a plan on what to do when I'm older and not be a bum.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #47
extremepaint is on a distinguished road
extremepaint's Tacoma Gallery
check out what your local colorado people are doing and just go out wheeling with them you will see there are very few places were you can safely use a long travel setup

many ways to go about getting what you want. if your anything like me a MT setup wont be wear it stops.

another undiscussed option is run 8 inch shocks with the appropriate mounts and some limit straps and obviously upper control arms
then when the time comes you can run this shock on a long travel setup as well. im doing the same thing and waiting till i get the cash to used camburg setup.

also a helpfull personal note
im also working fulltime and can barely afford it. i also have no parents with a garage or friends close bye to help with fabrication. and this makes it really difficult ive had my rear end parts sitting for a year or so.

think about what you have at your disposal for fabrication equipment experiance and shop space . if you have none of that stuff dont even think about a long travel!

like others have said before and im just repeating what their saying and what your learning. mt is fine goal for now but if you want to really fly your truck your gonna need to learn how to work a welder so you can piece back together your truck when it falls apart
Old 05-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #48
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
i only read a few of the posts on the first page, but dont fucking do it... save up for 3-4 years(seriously) if you still want it then, then do it.

i started with a Mid travel A-Arm ranger, which ended up gutted/caged, front end torn apart, a LT front end that was only 80% installed... sold it for a HUGE LOSS.

couple years later, i bought a stripped I Beam ranger cab/chassis and put another LARGE sum of money in quality parts,(equal length beams D44 billet ends, X-over steering, giant 64 kit, 2.5" coil overs 3.0 triple bypasses, 9" rear end, 17"rims 35" tires) etc.. still ended up with a truck that never got completed and parted it out.

now i have a '11 DCSB which i have lifted, then went LT Front/Mid rear...

if i could do it again, i would just slap on Bolt in Coil overs, UCA, basic gussets. Bolt in rear leaf pack and a 2.0 or 2.5 resi shock and call it done... i would then have a rather capable truck for all the off roading except the faster speed stuff, but at that point you would/should have a cage as it can get ugly quick.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #49
Vince760 is on a distinguished road
Name: Vince
Vince760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman90 View Post
So you're telling me I can get the complete mid travel set up for less than the price of just one half of a LT setup?
Put it this way buddy... I just bought a Camburg Lt kit, bump stops, glass, fox coilovers, heim steering and gussets.. I have about 7 grand sitting in my closet waiting be installed. AFter my spindle, bumper, and install ill be over 10 grand deep already. I make great money doing Pool construction but this takes a lot of time. I still need a rear suspension which is between 3-5k depending on what you do and i still need a full cage front to back plus a shit ton more mods. It will cost you 25k easy to have the prerunner you want. Start with a upper arm of good quality such as Camburg or Total Chaos and build your rear up first. You are going to be buying all kinds of shit TWICE because shit breaks all the time so dont stress on that. Most of us have put 3 or 4 different kits on our rigs over time. I also go to school full time to be a doctor and i know my grades dropped a little cause i was so excited to pick up my new coil overs i didnt care about skipping class....or definately the day Camburg called me with my finished Lt kit i played hooky all day haha. Moral of this story is take it slow and go ride in some trucks to see different set ups. THat is the only way you can decide what will fit your needs. After all if you dont need a 7k front end why do it?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #50
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince760 View Post
After all if you dont need a 7k front end why do it?
for the skeeezers!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #51
Vince760 is on a distinguished road
Name: Vince
Vince760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3187 View Post
for the skeeezers!!!
If that's the case just get a spindle and some bigger tires. Girls don't know what the fuck LT is.... You'll have more guys jockin your steez than girls
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3187 View Post
for the skeeezers!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #53
Nmwill is on a distinguished road

Name: William
Nmwill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
It sounds like you have your head screwed on straight

Most of the teenagers that post here are either trying to figure out how to milk mods out of mom and dad or how to cover up damage they did to a vehicle their parents bought them.

A mild lift coupled with aggressive tires and basic recovery tools will get you out and having a lot of fun in the dirt. Enjoy it as a hobby first, make it a lifestyle (spend the $$$ associated with a full LT rig) once you're sure it's what you want to do and your finances are prepared to support it.

Best of luck and have fun.
this. I'm 18 and know exactly where you're coming from. You want to go big, I hear that. But trust me. Trying to do a more custom and more complicated kit just turns into a pain. Especially when you run out of money and have no time. Get a solid mt setup. And spend what you would have spent on lt on a bumper, winch and some armor. Those will allow more headache free fun then Lt will. And less things breaking/having to be rebuilt.