1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Teenager in need of advice for LT

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by Hockeyman90, May 16, 2013.

1. May 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    Hockeyman90

Hockeyman90 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kaleb
    Craig, Co
    Vehicle:
    2001 Gold SR5
    Custom front bumper, bed liner, 33" wrangler duratracs on 16" ATX series Mojave rims, OME 3" suspension, 882 coils, custom rear bumper
    Dang!

2. May 17, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    Trusso24

Trusso24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    San Luis Obispo
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner XCab
    Fox Coilovers Blacked Out Debadged
    Like they said nothing MT will be used on a decent LT setup.

I'm in the energy industry right now and trust me, if you have the chance to go to school, do.

Not all of us have the backing that you do, and like someone said, you seem to have your head on pretty straight for a 16 year old. Compared to California tweens.

3. May 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    If you have the money to spend on a decent LT setup, don't do it. Go for a 3" lift or MT and save the rest for college. College is pretty expensive now. I have a lot of debt from my student loans and wish I would have saved a lot more than I did. You're more likely to get a better paying job right out of college than if you skip college and start working out of high school. And with that good paying job..... you can afford a sweet LT setup, lots of mods, and you'll have one hell of a truck!

4. May 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    Hockeyman90

Member:
    First Name:
    Kaleb
    Craig, Co
    Vehicle:
    2001 Gold SR5
    Custom front bumper, bed liner, 33" wrangler duratracs on 16" ATX series Mojave rims, OME 3" suspension, 882 coils, custom rear bumper
    Thanks. I mean I have sort of a plan on what to do when I'm older and not be a bum.:D

5. May 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM
    extremepaint

extremepaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    denver
    Vehicle:
    04 with stuff
    check out what your local colorado people are doing and just go out wheeling with them you will see there are very few places were you can safely use a long travel setup

many ways to go about getting what you want. if your anything like me a MT setup wont be wear it stops.

another undiscussed option is run 8 inch shocks with the appropriate mounts and some limit straps and obviously upper control arms
    then when the time comes you can run this shock on a long travel setup as well. im doing the same thing and waiting till i get the cash to used camburg setup.

also a helpfull personal note
    im also working fulltime and can barely afford it. i also have no parents with a garage or friends close bye to help with fabrication. and this makes it really difficult ive had my rear end parts sitting for a year or so.

think about what you have at your disposal for fabrication equipment experiance and shop space . if you have none of that stuff dont even think about a long travel!

like others have said before and im just repeating what their saying and what your learning. mt is fine goal for now but if you want to really fly your truck your gonna need to learn how to work a welder so you can piece back together your truck when it falls apart ;)

6. May 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    eric3187

eric3187 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i only read a few of the posts on the first page, but dont fucking do it... save up for 3-4 years(seriously) if you still want it then, then do it.

i started with a Mid travel A-Arm ranger, which ended up gutted/caged, front end torn apart, a LT front end that was only 80% installed... sold it for a HUGE LOSS.

couple years later, i bought a stripped I Beam ranger cab/chassis and put another LARGE sum of money in quality parts,(equal length beams D44 billet ends, X-over steering, giant 64 kit, 2.5" coil overs 3.0 triple bypasses, 9" rear end, 17"rims 35" tires) etc.. still ended up with a truck that never got completed and parted it out.

now i have a '11 DCSB which i have lifted, then went LT Front/Mid rear...

if i could do it again, i would just slap on Bolt in Coil overs, UCA, basic gussets. Bolt in rear leaf pack and a 2.0 or 2.5 resi shock and call it done... i would then have a rather capable truck for all the off roading except the faster speed stuff, but at that point you would/should have a cage as it can get ugly quick.

7. May 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    Vince760

Vince760 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vista CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad PreRunner
    Put it this way buddy... I just bought a Camburg Lt kit, bump stops, glass, fox coilovers, heim steering and gussets.. I have about 7 grand sitting in my closet waiting be installed. AFter my spindle, bumper, and install ill be over 10 grand deep already. I make great money doing Pool construction but this takes a lot of time. I still need a rear suspension which is between 3-5k depending on what you do and i still need a full cage front to back plus a shit ton more mods. It will cost you 25k easy to have the prerunner you want. Start with a upper arm of good quality such as Camburg or Total Chaos and build your rear up first. You are going to be buying all kinds of shit TWICE because shit breaks all the time so dont stress on that. Most of us have put 3 or 4 different kits on our rigs over time. I also go to school full time to be a doctor and i know my grades dropped a little cause i was so excited to pick up my new coil overs i didnt care about skipping class....or definately the day Camburg called me with my finished Lt kit i played hooky all day haha. Moral of this story is take it slow and go ride in some trucks to see different set ups. THat is the only way you can decide what will fit your needs. After all if you dont need a 7k front end why do it?

8. May 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    eric3187

eric3187 Well-Known Member

Member:
    for the skeeezers!!!

9. May 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    Vince760

Vince760 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vista CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad PreRunner
    If that's the case just get a spindle and some bigger tires. Girls don't know what the fuck LT is.... You'll have more guys jockin your steez than girls

10. May 23, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    Hockeyman90

Member:
    First Name:
    Kaleb
    Craig, Co
    Vehicle:
    2001 Gold SR5
    :rofl:

11. Oct 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    Nmwill

Nmwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 trd
    Blacked out emblems and grill. 265/75's shortened antenna
    this. I'm 18 and know exactly where you're coming from. You want to go big, I hear that. But trust me. Trying to do a more custom and more complicated kit just turns into a pain. Especially when you run out of money and have no time. Get a solid mt setup. And spend what you would have spent on lt on a bumper, winch and some armor. Those will allow more headache free fun then Lt will. And less things breaking/having to be rebuilt.

Products Discussed in

To Top