DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Teenager in need of advice for LT

Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Hockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to all
Name: Kaleb
Hockeyman90's Tacoma Gallery
Teenager in need of advice for LT

I'm a 16 year old kid who has been looking around on here for quite a while now. I'm positive I want to go with a long travel/prerunner truck. I have a 2001 4wd SR5 tacoma. Can I get some advice from you great people on TW on maybe how to accomplish my goal or at least where to start? Thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman90 View Post
I'm a 16 year old kid who has been looking around on here for quite a while now. I'm positive I want to go with a long travel/prerunner truck. I have a 2001 4wd SR5 tacoma. Can I get some advice from you great people on TW on maybe how to accomplish my goal or at least where to start? Thanks
Save money and focus on school is where I would start. Then when you get a decent job and can pay for parts, installation, and repairs you should start building.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For a basic LT setup front and rear, be prepared to spend way over $5,000....
Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do it! It's a disease hahaha

Listen to the guys above be ready to dump some money but you can save a lot if you get used parts
Old 05-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Hockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to allHockeyman90 is a name known to all
I've been trying to save up money and look on places like Craigslist and eBay and race dezert for used parts but its hard to find anything in rural Colorado. Thanks for your info too.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I've been trying to save up money and look on places like Craigslist and eBay and race dezert for used parts but its hard to find anything in rural Colorado. Thanks for your info too.
Living in Colorado will not make it any easier lol

I've picked up a lot of my parts in person.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You've already read the sticky threads in this forum, right? Here's what you need: money. Lots of it.

When I was a kid, one of my friends was determined to have the fastest Z28 camaro. He bought a Z28 with the 350SS engine and a Rally Sport front end. Then he and his dad (but mostly him) built up the engine. This was back in the day when cars had carburetors and distributors, not electronic ignition and fuel injection. But I digress.

He never said how much denero he put in that thing, but it was a metric shit-ton.

He worked as a painter, so he was making more than minimum wage, even though he wasn't 18.

He loved that car, but sold it when he got married just a couple years later at like the age of 19 or 20; I forget which.

But his grades sucked, and he didn't end up going to college.

Now, I'm not raggin' on this. Not everyone's suited for college, and maybe you're not either. But my point is - between the time you'll spend earning money to do an LT setup, and actually wrenching on the truck to make it happen, there won't be enough hours in the day left to keep up good grades and stay on the college bound track.

Maybe you're OK with that; like I said not everyone's cut out for college and you might have it in mind to become a mechanic, or work in an auto specialty shop. But it's something to mull over.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where do you live at?
Id say go with a decent mid travel set up
Old 05-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
You've already read the sticky threads in this forum, right? Here's what you need: money. Lots of it.

When I was a kid, one of my friends was determined to have the fastest Z28 camaro. He bought a Z28 with the 350SS engine and a Rally Sport front end. Then he and his dad (but mostly him) built up the engine. This was back in the day when cars had carburetors and distributors, not electronic ignition and fuel injection. But I digress.

He never said how much denero he put in that thing, but it was a metric shit-ton.

He worked as a painter, so he was making more than minimum wage, even though he wasn't 18.

He loved that car, but sold it when he got married just a couple years later at like the age of 19 or 20; I forget which.

Now, I'm not raggin' on this. Not everyone's suited for college, and maybe you're not either. But my point is - between the time you'll spend earning money to do an LT setup, and actually wrenching on the truck to make it happen, there won't be enough hours in the day left to keep up good grades and stay on the college bound track.

Maybe you're OK with that; like I said not everyone's cut out for college and you might have it in mind to become a mechanic, or work in an auto specialty shop. But it's something to mull over.
Yeah I've read the stickies. I was planning on making the money and wrenching on it during the summer and then focus on school the rest of the time. I want to go to college to be an engineer and if it works out, the money shouldn't be a problem whatever way I go. I understand what you are saying, though. You ether have money and no time or time and no money.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktacoma23 View Post
Where do you live at?
Id say go with a decent mid travel set up
I live up in the northwest corner of Colorado in Craig and if you haven't heard of it, I'm not surprised. The only thing I'm worried about is that if I go with mid travel, if I do want to go long travel I'll be buying things twice.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post

X100000 on this.

I'll keep it basic your front will run 3k+ your rear will be 4-6k easy.
Also keep in mind that once you go LT you have to have some saving to keep it maintain that is where you will go broke.

At your age it would be nice to have a LT truck but that shouldn't be your priority.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Dezert Toy Fabrication

I went mid travel first and don't regret it at all. It's just about having fun with it learning your limits.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedTRD View Post
X100000 on this.

I'll keep it basic your front will run 3k+ your rear will be 4-6k easy.
Also keep in mind that once you go LT you have to have some saving to keep it maintain that is where you will go broke.

At your age it would be nice to have a LT truck but that shouldn't be your priority.
Yeah. I see all the trucks on here and your mind kind of races with all the things you want to do but necessarily can't do
Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post
I went mid travel first and don't regret it at all. It's just about having fun with it learning your limits.
X2 I also had mid travel to begin with.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post
How much does mid travel usually end up running you?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with the MT votes in here. Lower cost, and I don't know what the terrain looks like out there but MT might be a little more versatile setup?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #17
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
I live up in the northwest corner of Colorado in Craig and if you haven't heard of it, I'm not surprised. The only thing I'm worried about is that if I go with mid travel, if I do want to go long travel I'll be buying things twice.
Hope ya got serious bankroll!
best of luck, check out the Colorado B.S. thread sometime.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You can get a very decent mid travel setup for $3,000.

I priced the setup I want which is Icon resies all around, all pro uca's, and allpro expo leafs. That totaled out at around $2,700.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
You can get a very decent mid travel setup for $3,000.

I priced the setup I want which is Icon resies all around, all pro uca's, and allpro expo leafs. That totaled out at around $2,700.
So you're telling me I can get the complete mid travel set up for less than the price of just one half of a LT setup?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #20

Quote:
So you're telling me I can get the complete mid travel set up for less than the price of just one half of a LT setup?
That is EXACTLY what I'm saying haha

I just did an internal debate with myself on going between LT or MT earlier today after finding out I could get myself a cantilever setup. But after pricing things out and everything I decided I wouldn't put it to enough use to justify the price.