DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Wheels spacers on rear axles to match front track width - good or bad?

Old 06-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Wheels spacers on rear axles to match front track width - good or bad?

What is your opinion on it? Obviously front and rear track width matching is a good thing, but is a wheel spacer a viable option on a long travel truck that gets jumped, etc.?

I've been planning on running a set of spydertrax spacers for a long time, but I just saw the group buy for the BORA spacers and they offer a hub centric 2'' spacer. 2'' would match my front track width exactly. Plus it would give me plenty of room to mount my bypass shocks on the outside of the frame rail.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Its the Journey, not the Destination
SierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cliff
SierraExp's Tacoma Gallery
Obviously its not the ideal solution but I ran spacers on the back of my truck for almost 3 years without any issues. Typically the rear track width is slightly narrower than the front. It seems to track a little better IMHO. I ran some ballistic 1.25" spacers with the AP kit I had then the 2" BORA ones until recently. It all comes down to how well you maintain your truck, when you rotate your tires take an additional 5 minutes and be sure to check that the spacer is torqued down as well and make sure you don't excessively overtorque your wheels and you'll be fine.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
What did you like better, the 2'' or the 1.25'' spacers?
Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Its the Journey, not the Destination
SierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cliff
SierraExp's Tacoma Gallery
Well I had to completely different kits with each size spacer. With the AP kit I ran the 1.25" Spacers, when I went to the camburg kit I went with 2" spacers. Both handled just fine on and off highway. When I ordered my 9" for the back I spoke with Joey at IMW for a while about how wide to go and it was his recommendation to stay slightly narrower in the rear for better highway manners. I believe the WMS width of a burg kit is 70" so we went 69" on the rear axle which is 6" wider than stock IIRC
Old 06-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
One way to add piece of mind with spacers is to upgrade to ARP wheel studs. I did this and had a lot more thread engagement than with stock wheel studs.