1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheels spacers on rear axles to match front track width - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by Mxpatriot, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Jun 8, 2013 at 5:59 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    What is your opinion on it? Obviously front and rear track width matching is a good thing, but is a wheel spacer a viable option on a long travel truck that gets jumped, etc.?

I've been planning on running a set of spydertrax spacers for a long time, but I just saw the group buy for the BORA spacers and they offer a hub centric 2'' spacer. 2'' would match my front track width exactly. Plus it would give me plenty of room to mount my bypass shocks on the outside of the frame rail.

2. Jun 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    SierraExp

SierraExp Its the Journey, not the Destination Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Sierra Expeditions
    Mesa, Arizona
    Obviously its not the ideal solution but I ran spacers on the back of my truck for almost 3 years without any issues. Typically the rear track width is slightly narrower than the front. It seems to track a little better IMHO. I ran some ballistic 1.25" spacers with the AP kit I had then the 2" BORA ones until recently. It all comes down to how well you maintain your truck, when you rotate your tires take an additional 5 minutes and be sure to check that the spacer is torqued down as well and make sure you don't excessively overtorque your wheels and you'll be fine.

3. Jun 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    What did you like better, the 2'' or the 1.25'' spacers?

4. Jun 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    SierraExp

SierraExp Its the Journey, not the Destination Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Sierra Expeditions
    Mesa, Arizona
    Well I had to completely different kits with each size spacer. With the AP kit I ran the 1.25" Spacers, when I went to the camburg kit I went with 2" spacers. Both handled just fine on and off highway. When I ordered my 9" for the back I spoke with Joey at IMW for a while about how wide to go and it was his recommendation to stay slightly narrower in the rear for better highway manners. I believe the WMS width of a burg kit is 70" so we went 69" on the rear axle which is 6" wider than stock IIRC

5. Jun 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    06HAOLE

06HAOLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford Raptor
    One way to add piece of mind with spacers is to upgrade to ARP wheel studs. I did this and had a lot more thread engagement than with stock wheel studs.

Products Discussed in

To Top