DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Long travel questions??

Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Long travel questions??

I have been researching LT kits a lot lateley. What is it exactly that makes the long travel system?? Is it just the lower control arms and coils? All of the LT kits I have seen are like at least $2600. Is it possible to buy extended lca's seperate? I already have TC UCA's and can get some LT fox coilovers and res shocks.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Guess nobody knows anything about LT
Old 02-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Settle down there, bucko. 30 minutes is not a long time for a response, especially during lunch when people are away from their computers...

Details in a bit. You've asked a substantial question.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #4

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
haha, ill practice some patience.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
You asked for some good info and mjp2 will do that, you got my attention.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Bluez View Post
I have been researching LT kits a lot lateley. What is it exactly that makes the long travel system?? Is it just the lower control arms and coils? All of the LT kits I have seen are like at least $2600. Is it possible to buy extended lca's seperate? I already have TC UCA's and can get some LT fox coilovers and res shocks.
IS long travel systems increase wheel travel by increasing the length of both the upper and lower control arms. Moving the wheels outward allows more up and down travel with the same (or close to it) effective angles put on the suspension's pivot points as a stock system.

A complete system will include upper control arms, lower control arms, extended steering linkages, and extended axles if it's a 4x4 truck. You'll need to buy and install fiberglass fenders if you run a kit with arms more than 2" longer than stock.

Kits for our trucks also use longer-travel coilover shocks, so you won't see the full benefit of a kit if you use a coilover meant as a replacement on a stock suspension.

Your upper control arms won't work. If you used those with LT lower arms your wheels will be angled like this: / \

There's actually quite a bit that goes into the full system. What kind of planned wheeling drove you to look into long travel kits?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #7

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Desert riding, not rock crawling or anything like that. I live in AZ, lots of flat bumpy desert and the dunes. Just looking for something with a bit more travel.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You can get extended coilovers and they will give a little more travel with your TC arms.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #9

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You can get extended coilovers and they will give a little more travel with your TC arms.
What good is extended coilovers if my lower control arms are already maxed out?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #10

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Desert riding, not rock crawling or anything like that. I live in AZ, lots of flat bumpy desert and the dunes. Just looking for something with a bit more travel.
Perfect. Are you 2wd or 4wd? 2wd rigs have some cool options like lift spindles and stuff to get you more ground clearance to go along with whatever suspension you decide on.

Lots of options for you but work's busy at the moment. I'll post a bit more later and will be able to help discuss a build direction once I know if you're 2 or 4wd.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
What good is extended coilovers if my lower control arms are already maxed out?
The lower arms arnt maxed out.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #12

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
2wd.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #13

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Your desert-running life is a whole lot easier for being 2wd.

I'll start by throwing the obvious stuff out there to get a feel for the kind of build you're interested in.

Option 1:
Camburg setup on stock LCAs for 10.5" of travel.
http://www.camburg.com/tacomaP05.html
Note that their UCAs with 1.25" uniballs play a big part in the travel numbers. I've bottomed out and mangled the 1" uniballs on a set of UCAs; to get 10.5" without binding requires something beyond the TC UCAs you're currently running. The bumpstops will also limit your uptravel with this setup so you might consider LightRacing jounce shocks or Icon Chubbies up front.

Option 2:
Full long-travel, which as you've seen is pricey. You existing UCAs and coils will need to be replaced, but you'll be able to sell them for good money after the install is done. Fiberglass fenders are a PITA to install but necessary if you go with the Camburg or Total Chaos kits. AllPro offers a kit that provides slightly less travel but works with your stock fenders. I'm pretty sure there's another kit coming to the market (if it's not already out there) that will also allow use of the stock fenders.

Option 3:
Fabrication required here but it'd be cool. Cut the upper coil buckets and reinstall them mounted higher so you can fit longer-travel coilovers. It'll require some tinkering with bumpstops and stuff to make sure you don't get any metal-on-metal contact or binding, but you'd be able to get some impressive travel numbers with a stock-looking rig. It's an option if you'd like to take the money that would be spent on parts and put it into something custom, although this would probably be one of the more expensive options when all is said and done.

After all that, you'll want to do something about your spindles. AllPro and Total Chaos make spindle gussets which are inexpensive but need to be welded in place. Several companies make lift spindles for the 2wd Tacomas, and this would be the route I'd recommend to increase strength and substantially increase ground clearance.

The rear suspension will need some work too, but that can be figured out after the front is done.

Any of this sound interesting or do you have something else in mind?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #14

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Link to a good setup as posted by Downsouth Motorsports:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ravel-kit.html
Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #15

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
I like the spindle idea. But if I was to purchase spindles is there anything else I need to compliment them?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #16

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like the spindle idea. But if I was to purchase spindles is there anything else I need to compliment them?
Lift spindles just give you lift -- they won't increase wheel travel. You'll have more ground clearance but the ride will still be the same as it is now.

Some pics of a truck with the Allied spindles:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=236580

Shot of Camburg's spindles:
http://www.camburg.com/images/05taco...dle%20pair.jpg

The TC spindle gusset on the stock spindle (in the foreground):

If you're looking for travel you'll probably want to spend your money elsewhere and reinforce your stock gear.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #17

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
So that black Tacoma on the link you gave me is sexy. W/e spindles or set up he has I want. Maybe I don't really want the long travel but I just want something with a little more lift w/o the drop bracket. Here is my current set up will this work with a 4" spindle?

The coilovers are skyjacker platinum series. I got a good deal on them and they have been good to me, although I know not many people run them here.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:42 AM   #18

Your set up will work with a spindle, but your gonna have to back off the preload on your coilover a little bit.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #19

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So that black Tacoma on the link you gave me is sexy. W/e spindles or set up he has I want. Maybe I don't really want the long travel but I just want something with a little more lift w/o the drop bracket. Here is my current set up will this work with a 4" spindle?

The coilovers are skyjacker platinum series. I got a good deal on them and they have been good to me, although I know not many people run them here.
Oh hell yeah. Now that I know what you're going for those lift spindles will work great for you!

And for kicks, try disconnecting your sway bar and driving around like that for a week or so. Not much of a difference on the road, but it'll dramatically improve your off road performance. If you don't like the feel you can always re-attach it.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #20

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Not a problem, that would make it drive smoother anyways right? But you know what these coils are really nice I cant even feel speed bumps or dips in the road anymore. Only problem is when I have a truck load of people it feels like it sags.