DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Dirt Designs 05+ Taco 4WD RACE kit

Old 07-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #42
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
is the skid going to go further in ??
Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #43
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
wow. very interested to see this in action
Old 07-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #44
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
It's possible to fit 37's (on my TC kit that is dimensionally similar to yours) if you remove the inner fenders. Glassworks fenders require a little trimming, and the firewall needs a little massaging to fit at full stuff lock to lock, as well as the cab mount. Gentleman, 4wd LT is where it's at. Most of you know the legendary feats of my truck...the secret is 4wd... It really opens up a lot of possibilities. You can use your truck for more than just barstow bashing. Dunes. Snow. Mud. Rocks. Trails. Eats it all up, without beating you up. It looks like this kit will be rock solid, it addresses all of the weakness of the TC kit and then some. Out. Fuckin. Standing.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #45
Relentless
jjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joel
jjhitchen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
is the skid going to go further in ??
yes, the aluminum skid plate is gonna get fixed when i get her back. Its temporary for now
Old 07-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #46
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
gusset those alignment cams while you are down there!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #47
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
First off this is some impressive design and fabrication work. I am curious what type and thickness of metal you are using, as well as what the impact testing will reveal. Looks beefy and the use of factory hubs and other factory parts make it a sure winner for a lot of people I bet. I am assuming this is the first fabricated set from this design, but have you done, or do you plan to do tensile strength testing and shear testing at the joints and such? I ask because I am curious.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #48
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed
Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #49
Relentless
jjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
way ahead of you brotha
Old 07-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #50
dirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud of

Name: Steve
dirt designs's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
It's possible to fit 37's (on my TC kit that is dimensionally similar to yours) if you remove the inner fenders. Glassworks fenders require a little trimming, and the firewall needs a little massaging to fit at full stuff lock to lock, as well as the cab mount. Gentleman, 4wd LT is where it's at. Most of you know the legendary feats of my truck...the secret is 4wd... It really opens up a lot of possibilities. You can use your truck for more than just barstow bashing. Dunes. Snow. Mud. Rocks. Trails. Eats it all up, without beating you up. It looks like this kit will be rock solid, it addresses all of the weakness of the TC kit and then some. Out. Fuckin. Standing.
Thank you. And this kit does require a little trimming on the cab mount and some smashing in of the firewall to fit 35 . Because of this joel will be running some 34s so we dont have to hammer on the firewall ..... for now muhahah. The tire is def centered in the wheel well because it rubs the firewall and the front of the inner fender well at full bump lock to lock.

There will be an option for those that dont care about factory sheetmetal. I can push the tire forward 1-2" on request. I do this standard on ALL my past race kits that arent bolt on. With the push forward, you will have none or very minimal mod to the firewall to fit 37 tires. You just need the inner fender out to clear the front of the tire. Pushing the kit forward wont hurt the geometry during travel and it increases approach angle a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
First off this is some impressive design and fabrication work. I am curious what type and thickness of metal you are using, as well as what the impact testing will reveal. Looks beefy and the use of factory hubs and other factory parts make it a sure winner for a lot of people I bet. I am assuming this is the first fabricated set from this design, but have you done, or do you plan to do tensile strength testing and shear testing at the joints and such? I ask because I am curious.
Added up there is the equivalent of a 5/8 thick steel plate holding the lower uniball. I have similar mounts (and some actually thinner) on a few other trucks that race and/or run very hard in the desert. They havent had any issues.

I always run some preliminary numbers on the kits i build and the stress in the lower joint was around 27ksi. The numbers i used are way beyond the normal loads. They are more up around the ....... you need new wheels, hubs, maybe a new frame kind of loads.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhitchen View Post
way ahead of you brotha
Yep getting welded on tomorrow before the kit gets installed.

All thats left is welding on some shock tabs and paint!!

Old 07-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #51
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt designs View Post
Added up there is the equivalent of a 5/8 thick steel plate holding the lower uniball. I have similar mounts (and some actually thinner) on a few other trucks that race and/or run very hard in the desert. They havent had any issues.

I always run some preliminary numbers on the kits i build and the stress in the lower joint was around 27ksi. The numbers i used are way beyond the normal loads. They are more up around the ....... you need new wheels, hubs, maybe a new frame kind of loads.
Good to know! I was curious since I haven't read your other work which seems pretty bad ass.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #52
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
When are we looking at possible release dates
Old 07-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #53
dirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Good to know! I was curious since I haven't read your other work which seems pretty bad ass.
Heres some pics of some other trucks

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIRT-...=photos_albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
When are we looking at possible release dates
Im thinking after the pismo huckfest (end of aug/beg of sept). We have a few trucks coming in to get built/new parts put on so they can go out to huckfest. The jigs are all built, so im just trying to clear up the schedule some.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #54
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Heres some pics of some other trucks

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIRT-...=photos_albums

Im thinking after the pismo huckfest (end of aug/beg of sept). We have a few trucks coming in to get built/new parts put on so they can go out to huckfest. The jigs are all built, so im just trying to clear up the schedule some.
sounds good, this may be a good option for me new front to go with my rear set-up

now if only I could figure out how to get a dynatrac front cv housing to work on our trucks :P
Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #55
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Looks sick! Gonna have bump steer? I know it's a common problem with a lot of companies out there to maintain that camber through out the whole range of travel especially when pulling those numbers with stock mounting locations.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #56
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
sounds good, this may be a good option for me new front to go with my rear set-up

now if only I could figure out how to get a dynatrac front cv housing to work on our trucks :P
Chop chop grind grind weld weld.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #57
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Looks sick! Gonna have bump steer? I know it's a common problem with a lot of companies out there to maintain that camber through out the whole range of travel especially when pulling those numbers with stock mounting locations.
OP said in the 1st post:

There is very minimum bumpsteer
Old 07-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Yep almost no noticeable bumpsteer. Even blangs truck shouldnt have any bumpsteer. His issue currently is his lower arms blew through the cam tabs maybe a month or 2 ago.....and i dont think they are fixed. He just mobs on them lol. Whats even funnier is that he had the tc gusset kit in his truck when i built the engine crossover tube. Pics below of this kits bumpsteer...and both kits use the same frame CAD file

Joels truck was VERY close to getting out today.

Stainless rack clevis adapter. And you can see the welds on the tc lca tab gussets.

All the double sheared joint goodness!!

And the bumpsteer. You may also notice the tube nub on the bottom of the lower arm. I HATE kits that are completely flush on the bottom arm and angled even at ride height. It makes for a dangerous situation when you have to jack up the truck in an awkward position and the truck starts to slide on the jack. Of course.....DONT use an aluminum slug like i have if you are actually jacking up the weight of the truck. The tube nub needs a jack with a lip to catch it.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #59
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If I build spindles to work with other LT kits the price will most likely be around $1200-1300 a pair. If there are 5 people that want the spindles I can start designing asap. And yes, they will be beefy.
oh
Old 07-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #60
Relentless