Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Custom Fabbed long Travel A-arms

Old 08-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #1
BrndnCrvlho2wd is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
BrndnCrvlho2wd's Tacoma Gallery
Custom Fabbed long Travel A-arms

My goal for my prerunner is to actually make it a prerunner and have been planning on installing Long travel for a while but the kits are expensive and not worth paying for in my eyes. Couldnt i just take the dimensions from one of the kits and make a jig and simply weld it all up? i wanna know who has done this before and what process you went through.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
If it was that easy everybody with half a brain and welder would have custom LT... But you can always try it, just take pictures after your first jump .
Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
If the front kit prices are too expensive your wallet isn't deep enough for this hobby.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Building a custom LT kit?!?! Your crazy!

HAHA check out my build thread if your a good welder and have a second vehicle it's possible.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post

HAHA check out my build thread if your a good welder and have a second vehicle it's possible.
^ what this guy said.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
ntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedntydog13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ntydog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
If the front kit prices are too expensive your wallet isn't deep enough for this hobby.
This^
Old 08-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
If you could get your hands on a kit in order to build a jig, you could mimic the dimensions rather easily.

The tricky part is building it to the strength required to withstand the abuse. If you had experience with that level of fabrication, you probably wouldn't be posting this question. Not trying to be a dick but rather a reality check on the cost vs. safety aspect of your proposition.

All the money you saved by building your own arms will go out the window when an LCA gives out and you flop the truck. Certain guys on here build their own stuff, but they are pretty seasoned welders and fabricators.

DTF, MCM, and a few others on here are working on or have kits for sale that are a bit cheaper than the name brand Total Chaos, Camburg, etc. and are very on par with their quality.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
Old 08-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
If you could get your hands on a kit in order to build a jig, you could mimic the dimensions rather easily.

The tricky part is building it to the strength required to withstand the abuse. If you had experience with that level of fabrication, you probably wouldn't be posting this question. Not trying to be a dick but rather a reality check on the cost vs. safety aspect of your proposition.

All the money you saved by building your own arms will go out the window when an LCA gives out and you flop the truck. Certain guys on here build their own stuff, but they are pretty seasoned welders and fabricators.

DTF, MCM, and a few others on here are working on or have kits for sale that are a bit cheaper than the name brand Total Chaos, Camburg, etc. and are very on par with their quality.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post

That's amazing!
Old 08-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrndnCrvlho2wd View Post
My goal for my prerunner is to actually make it a prerunner and have been planning on installing Long travel for a while but the kits are expensive and not worth paying for in my eyes. Couldnt i just take the dimensions from one of the kits and make a jig and simply weld it all up? i wanna know who has done this before and what process you went through.
You got a good truck to start with! Try finding a used kit on dr or something. I got my camburg kit in great shape for $1200 w/ new bushings and uni's in the uca. Also I believe MCM is offering an amazing deal right now with coilovers included!

Maybe mid travel is more ur speed, longtravel is a never ending wallet leach!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Thnks for all the great info. I was definatiely going to make a jig using the dimensions of one of the kits and I work in a place where the shop owner could tell me what kinds of tubing i should use(if i could afford it i was thinking Chromoly) and the best way to build it. And btw i know the world of offroad is expensive but when theres a will theres a way and money isnt gonna stop me, slow me down probably, but not stopping me.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntydog13 View Post
This^
Money isnt gonna stop me
Old 08-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL ROJO View Post
Check out this thread

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...ere-first.html

Oh and welcome to TW
thanks. btw i know ur truck. ive seen it off of vineyard.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Money isnt gonna stop me
Maybe not now but it will when your truck breaks and you have no money to fix it.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Maybe not now but it will when your truck breaks and you have no money to fix it.
Well I have a second car to save me. and Keep this negativity off this thread please. yeah its expensive but money is money, it comes and goes but at the end of the day its just paper. I dont let it consume me. Im not trying to sound arrogant but your like the fourth person to say something about money on this thread.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #18
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I have a second car to save me. and Keep this negativity off this thread please. yeah its expensive but money is money, it comes and goes but at the end of the day its just paper. I dont let it consume me. Im not trying to sound arrogant but your like the fourth person to say something about money on this thread.
I'm not being negative I'm being a realist.. but hey its your time and your money spend it how you want
Old 08-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You mentioned money in your first post so people are simply suggesting that if the cost of the front end kit is deterring you, then LT isn't for you. The cost of the shocks, hydro bumps, secondaries, etc. are far more expensive than some of the 'off the shelf' front end kits. People are just trying to give you advice based on the concerns you mentioned when you created this thread...