DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Center mount 4wd

Old 03-14-2014, 01:50 AM   #41
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt designs View Post
Well, not going to make the deadline. The race we were aiming for got cancelled so the time frame has been expanded. We now have till early/mid Apr. Im picking up the bypasses and Howe TT rack this weekend at the mint. I should also have the trans cooler and radiator by Tues.

Suspension is on and cycling. No pics with the cvs in, but the suspension cycles 20in at the hub with cvs still spinning.

my god that is beautiful
Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #43
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Landon
Supermoto's Tacoma Gallery
Looking killer man! The lower arm spread looks pretty close to the same as Mark McMillin's prerunner. That's pretty much the closest to center link I could see you getting with 4x4. His is bumped at 20", i got to ride in it a few years ago, so badass. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #44
dirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud of

Name: Steve
dirt designs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Are you just going to hog out the firewall and put an engine cover in the cab like a van?
Sort of. Cut out firewall+floor enough to clear engine (but try to get as much leg room as possible). Most likely itll be a steel tube structure around the engine and trans with removable sides and top aluminum pieces. A single large cover like the van is hard to actually get out when its filled with electonics, switches, and in such a tight vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoto View Post
Looking killer man! The lower arm spread looks pretty close to the same as Mark McMillin's prerunner. That's pretty much the closest to center link I could see you getting with 4x4. His is bumped at 20", i got to ride in it a few years ago, so badass. Keep up the good work!
Thank you sir! Might have to get you a ride in this one so you can tell me which one is better *cough *cough
Old 03-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #45
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I'll ride in it and let you know. Then I'll have to ride in the other one I guess.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #46
dirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud ofdirt designs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
I'll ride in it and let you know. Then I'll have to ride in the other one I guess.
lol YUP
Old 03-20-2014, 12:04 AM   #47
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
looks awesome!

random question..why are you recessing the engine into the firewall? 50/50 balance or clearance for the case and forward accessories?
Old 03-20-2014, 12:27 AM   #49
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Lawd Jesus
Old 03-20-2014, 03:35 AM   #50
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
I believe it's to allow the oil pan to clear the diff
Yeah this. There's a reason the stock diff is offset to the side.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #51
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
looks awesome!

random question..why are you recessing the engine into the firewall? 50/50 balance or clearance for the case and forward accessories?
Better weight distribution.

Hey Steve who owns this beast?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #52
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Curious about the low pinion rear diff, is this to allow clearance with the trac bar? Or something else I'm missing?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
I believe it's to allow the oil pan to clear the diff
^^^^ This. I want the engine low. To clear the diff, i had to pull the engine back. It does also help with weight distribution so it was win win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post
Hey Steve who owns this beast?
Customer of mine from up north. He also owns that black work tacoma we built over the summer

LT front and rear, with exocage+lumber rack, and flat bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
Curious about the low pinion rear diff, is this to allow clearance with the trac bar? Or something else I'm missing?
Not sure what you mean. The solid rear axle being low pinion?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #54

Some more progress. Picked up some parts from the Mint.

Since we had such a beefy rack from Howe, we had to make a very beefy rack mount

And good ol 20in of 4wd travel

And first time ive used these bungs. They are a little oddball sized and need tubing 1 3/8 and 1 5/8? So did my thing with the lathe and machined the tubes to work out perfect.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #55
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Landon
Supermoto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure what you mean. The solid rear axle being low pinion?

I think he wondering why it's not a high clearance 3rd....
All race style 9" nodular 3rd members are not high clearance.

The truck is looking amazing!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #56
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Wow this truck does look amazing!!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #57
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoto View Post
I think he wondering why it's not a high clearance 3rd....
All race style 9" nodular 3rd members are not high clearance.

The truck is looking amazing!
Thats kinda what i was thinking, just never had anyone ask that for desert trucks (only crawlers).

The lower pinion is what makes the gears strong. The 9in is one of the lowest pinion designs and the reason why everyone runs 9in axles in the desert for very heavy abuse.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #59
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats kinda what i was thinking, just never had anyone ask that for desert trucks (only crawlers).

The lower pinion is what makes the gears strong. The 9in is one of the lowest pinion designs and the reason why everyone runs 9in axles in the desert for very heavy abuse.
Gotcha! Thanks for the info Not that I plan on building a desert racer, sometimes inquiring minds just need to know lol
Old 03-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #60
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
This truck is going to be a beast when completed!