Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Will Long Travel work on my Truck?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
BCollett is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
BCollett's Tacoma Gallery
Will Long Travel work on my Truck?

I've been trying to figure out what upgrades i could do for my front suspension. I would like to get a Long/Mid travel kit but there is one snag... I have a 01 4 door Tacoma. I installed a 4" lift kit years ago so i could squeeze some 33"s under it. There is one issue. The kit replaced the original lower cross member where the lower control arms mount with a new cross member that drops everything down by 4".... the Original cross member was cut out to allow for the differential to be lowered along with the new cross member. I still have stock steering knuckles installed but they require a spacer to be installed on the tops of them to extend them, and the shocks also have spacers on top of them to make up the difference.

So I guess the question is this.... Does anyone think it would be possible to install a Total Chaos or Camburg kit on the front end?

If this isn't an option i suppose i could hack everything off and SAS it.....
Old 01-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
Rylee is on a distinguished road

Name: Rylee
Rylee's Tacoma Gallery
someone has done it, the geometry however is no longer the same.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
You can always chop the crossmember out of another truck and weld it in then pull the lift out and install your mid travel or long travel.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Trusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant future

Name: Tony
Trusso24's Tacoma Gallery
So you have a Diff Drop, want Long Travel, but might go SAS if all else fails. Do you have any plans or goals as that could help in deciding your lift
Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
anything is possible with a grinder and a welder.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
wheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kevin
wheelerkr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
and money
Old 01-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
BCollett is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
BCollett's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusso24 View Post
So you have a Diff Drop, want Long Travel, but might go SAS if all else fails. Do you have any plans or goals as that could help in deciding your lift
Well the truck will primarily be for camping trips and long offroad trails (like the mojave trail..) I'm not going to be doing any serious crawling or anything that would benefit from a SAS... (it might be the easier option though since everything gets chopped off the front end ....) This is why i'm thinking some kind of long/mid travel would be the better choice. I think keeping the IFS would keep the ride smoother over all.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
it would be easier to pull the lift you have now out and weld the section of the crossmember you cut back in. then install what ever mid travel or longtravel you want after that. sas is pretty involved and expensive compared to the above.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
Plus a big hammer, busted knuckles, and liberal application of the words "fuck" and "shit".