Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Long travel for a beginner

Old 03-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
RYANBORN is on a distinguished road
Name: RYAN
RYANBORN's Tacoma Gallery
Long travel for a beginner

I am looking for a little advice. I am buying Total Chaos 3.5 long travel kit. I am buying axles too from TC. Fox shocks too. When buying bypass shocks do I need to buy upper hoops? Besides buying fiberglass is there anything I'm missing for the front for my 14 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4?
Old 03-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
SoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
SoCalRoadie's Tacoma Gallery
Are you only going front LT? If so skip the bypasses for now. Save that money on the eventual rear LT.

We have a few threads for new LTs and those thinking about LT. Make sure this is where you want to go. Some mods are permanent.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Thanks for quick response... i would like front and back... but was going to put Deaver springs in back until i spent the money on the LT rear. Right now just focused on buying that TC 3.5 LT kit with shocks. That plus axles and glass = $5000.00 Canadian...lol.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
SoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalRoadie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you are already going LT then don't waste your time and money on a MT rear. If money is an issue you will get a more consistent performance with a MT front and a LT rear. LT is not cheap and you don't get the full effect unless you dive in. Half-effort this and you will be selling your truck in a few months.

Think about what you are trying to achieve before dropping $5k on just your front end.

$5k is a really solid full MT setup with cash to spare.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Thanks... i need more time to save I guess...
Old 03-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
What are you planning to do with the truck? Honestly a good mid travel will do more then what a lot of people would be doing with there trucks
Old 03-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #7

Also, think about how much you will realistically use the truck. I use mine 5-8 times a year if I'm lucky. The rest is DD street queen. I'm ok with that return on investment but would you be?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
I live the Rocky Mountains on the Montana border. There is such diverse terrain around me... I like the idea of driving fast over the open rolling hills, logging roads... but also going on trail rides... I'm stuck on the long travel...its just so badass.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mid travel will do everything you just listed for less the 1/2 the price work and worry's
Old 04-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Chadparker is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
Chadparker's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone pushing MT here what is a good setup in your opinion?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #11

Icon extended travel with control arms up front remove sway bar and progressive aal or a full pack in the rear with whatever shock you want icon makes full kits where you can get everything check out down south motorsports
Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #12
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCprerunner View Post
Icon extended travel with control arms up front remove sway bar and progressive aal or a full pack in the rear with whatever shock you want icon makes full kits where you can get everything check out down south motorsports
Boom. This is what Im running and it crushes rutted out bumpy fire roads. I dont think you need LT until you are jumping or running 45mph+ in the desert.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #13
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. DTOM
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
What rear shocks would you guys recommend if doing a shackle flip in the back?

And would that be considered MT or LT?
Old 04-20-2014, 05:10 AM   #15
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
op I feel like for what your gunna be doing a midtravel front and long travel rear would suit your needs nicely
This is what I currently am running till I have the funds for the front. Very capable but the front mt set is definitly the limiting factor. I'd recomend doing the rear LT first. So much nicer with LT rear vs my old mt setup. Felt like I was on the bumps all the time and really didn't flex that well. You might be able to get away with hoops in the rear and not do a full bed cage. Maybe look into the pelfreybilt rear setup? That would probably suit your needs pretty well. I just really like my DMZ rear set up as it's great with some speed (front is limiting factor here) and did really well crawling around a few rocks on the trail.