DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

long travel suspension kits

Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
tacoma #12 is on a distinguished road
tacoma #12's Tacoma Gallery
long travel suspension kits

I was wondering about long travel suspension kits, I am liking total chaos and all pro, but i dont really race in the desert or anything, i just liked them because they had a lot of travel. How are they in the rocks and mud or are they just for the desert? How do they compare to the regular kits like pro comp and fabtech? My granfather has some land and i just go over there in the mud and rocks.

And if i did get the long travel then what do i have to do to the rear to make them match?? thanks for help!!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Long travle works fine in the rocks and mud. Much better than a drop bracket lift, ar you have more clearance under the truck.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Heres a video of the all pro LT kit, it made for all types of terrains, as for doing the rear people do deavers or alcan leaf packs and some rear shocks with resi's until you can cage the rear but not nessasary to do.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
OK thanks, what about towing and hauling stuff? will it be to soft in the rear?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
amount of money you will drop on LT, if not using it in desert conditions, it might be a waste of money...

figure $3,000 to $5,000 on front end, then another $2,000 on the rear end...

you could just do a replacement leaf pack in the rear, but that rear wont keep up with the front end.... im finding that out the hard way right now on my truck...
Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
Banned
allupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
allupinsydeyou's Tacoma Gallery
pro comp and fagtech kits suck balls.... look into bms, chaos, or camburg. best kits for your money. or have one custom done. either way... what are your needs for having alot of travel? you do realize less well dampened travel is better than more shitty dampened travel right? not everything is about high numbers.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
stupid question...is the long travel just for 2wd or do they make a kit for 4wd?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allupinsydeyou View Post
you do realize less well dampened travel is better than more shitty dampened travel right? not everything is about high numbers.
X2!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
stupid question...is the long travel just for 2wd or do they make a kit for 4wd?
both. but normaly you can get more travel out of 2wd
Old 05-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
what else could i use besides lt that mabe isnt so expensive? but i still want as much travel as possible. i was thinking about sas but it is way to expensive, any suggestions?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sas would be for hardcore rock climbing.
If you want a nice front end set up start with total chaos upper control arms.
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacotc.htm

then add some nice coilovers. if you want the best expect to pay for it.
Fox makes really nice reservoir coilovers. check them out at allpro
http://allprooffroad.com/05tacomafrontsuspension/294
I just ordered the 2.0 set.
some other companies are King, walker evans, camburg, and Icon.

For the rear you will want to replace your factory springs with some longer one
i.e. Deaver or alcan. wheelers offroad also offers a 3 leaf AAl pack that replaces your factory overload leaf and provides better flex.

Im not an expert or anything but thats a start for you.

also check out this thread
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bui...p2s-build.html
Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #12

also it would help if we knew what year your truck is and is it 2wd or 4wd?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #13
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Why not just get something like mid travel fox, king, camburg, icons coilovers in the front with some aftermarket uca's and get some rear resi's with a better leaf pack your ride will be alot better thats my plan for the rear. Definately not as much but works, no matter what you do its gonna cost you.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #14
Banned
allupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
allupinsydeyou's Tacoma Gallery
cuz he wants that dank ass gnar travel man...

seriously though... you need to listen.... i have lt front and rear on my truck... front is pulling almost 17 inches... and i was dusted by a guy that only had 12 inches of super clean travel. that showed me that i needed to tune my coilovers a bit better... so i did... and damn. you dont need a shitload of travel unless you are seriously gunna be seeing more dirt then you do street. and im seriously doubting that is your case. so save some coin and just get the bolt on coilovers and some upper control arms and call it a day. socalman22 did that and the ride quality changed night and day. was amazing.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
My bad, my truck is a 2005 tacoma with TRD and 4x4. I just wanted something reliable with a good bit more travel than stock, i am not gonna be doing alot of desert racing, but the idea with some upper control arms and coilovers sounds nice, does that widen the truck at all? cause with the whole kit from TC i know it widens the truck a little. But then if i get the upper control arms am i gonna have to put a hole through the bed and do a bunch of stuff? i would still like to use the bed cause it will haul around my dirtbikes and things like that
Old 05-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #16
Founder Socaltacomas.com

The uppercontrol arms will have nothing to do with doing the bed, it wont widen your truck if you get uca's and some coilovers you will get some travel but do not expect alot of travel.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
sorry. i meant that if i do the front like that then will i have to do the rear to cause it will be out of whack, how much travel would i get with the upper arms and coilovers?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #18
since LT is so expensive and i am not gonna be desert racing just a weekend warrior every once and a while, would pro comp be a good lift that i can tow with and haul things in the back, but still be able to do some pretty serious stuff? i do plan to try and do the rubicon some day with this truck.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #19
Founder Socaltacomas.com

With just the coilovers i gained Wheel Travel: 1.75" maybe a little more with uca's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma #12 View Post
sorry. i meant that if i do the front like that then will i have to do the rear to cause it will be out of whack, how much travel would i get with the upper arms and coilovers?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #20
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
question: Since a nice less expensive setup is uca's + coilovers ( what you guys are saying ) how will my total chaos uca's and 885's with OME shocks hold up? Are there any disadvantages to desert stuff when it comes to not having coilovers?